5 minute plank workout

Hello friends!

We have been doing a new plank workout lately. Actually, we have been doing it for about 3 weeks now. And we are loving it.

We felt we needed to change up our basic 5 minutes plank holding to incorporate more exercises during those 5 minutes. Plus this way it helps pass the time. 😉

Our new plank workout is still 5 minutes long but we do it in intervals using our  Gymboss Interval Timer.

During our first plank workout (we plan to create more), we  have been setting our Gymboss Interval Timer for  30/30 second intervals  for 5 rounds, equaling 5 minutes.

Again if you can’t do the 5 minutes, then please adjust your intervals for your fitness level.

We also did a video yesterday showing how we do our 5 minute plank workout. Each 30 seconds we do a different exercise, in the video we explain and show more. Check it out when you have time.

Lori and Michelle

If you want to more great workouts that won’t take hours out of your busy day yet will give you amazing results click here to get our bodyweight workout guide.

Get fit anywhere workout guide for busy women building empires

Lori (and Michelle)

If you’re new to Purely Twins join our tribe and get updates:

Pinterest – purelytwins

Instagram – @purelytwins

Youtube – purelytwins and pure2rawtwins

Facebook – purelytwins

Please note that affiliate links may pop up on PT occasionally. When you click and purchase we receive a small percentage. This allows us to keep blogging! We greatly appreciate your support!

Chelsea July 5, 2012 - 4:29 pm

Because of you girls, I am up to a 2 minute plank! Thank you! And now, I’m addicted to protein thin mints, too. Thank you? 🙂

purelytwins July 5, 2012 - 5:33 pm

Awesome Chelsea!!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile July 5, 2012 - 4:53 pm

I still need to work on my planks! Such a great idea to change up every 30 seconds.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 5, 2012 - 5:01 pm

I LOVE planks. I do a 6 minute rotation and I swear it’s the single best exercise you can do to tighten your tummy.

lindsay July 5, 2012 - 5:03 pm

gosh you gals are awesome. maybe i can try this tonight. Or i might use it in my next class! COOL!

purelytwins July 5, 2012 - 5:34 pm

Yes Lindsay! Let us know how you like it

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 5, 2012 - 6:15 pm

You know I’m doing my planks and love them thanks to you two!

purelytwins July 5, 2012 - 7:20 pm

Sarena 😉 yay!

Megan July 5, 2012 - 6:33 pm

This is great! I’m still working on getting to the 5 minute plank (at 3 minutes!) but this is an awesome variation. I will definitely do this. Thanks ladies!

purelytwins July 5, 2012 - 7:20 pm

Thanks Megan, let us know if you try it!

Gabby @ the veggie nook July 5, 2012 - 6:44 pm

I love this workout! You both motivated me to work on my plank and I got up to 5 minutes a couple weeks ago. Me and my more defined abs thank you 🙂 This will be a great way to mix it up now!

purelytwins July 5, 2012 - 7:21 pm

Awesome to hear Gabby!! let us know how you like it

Gabby @ the veggie nook July 6, 2012 - 9:20 pm

Just tried it out! Man it’s tough but I love how it really works the whole body in 5 min. Thanks again ladies!

Lisa July 5, 2012 - 7:19 pm

Definitely in on this! I’ve been keeping up with my planks at least once a week and have worked up to 4 minutes! Almost there!

purelytwins July 5, 2012 - 7:21 pm

Awesome Lisa, keep going!!

alice July 6, 2012 - 2:18 am

can’t wait to do this one!

Laury@TheFitnessDish July 6, 2012 - 2:51 am

Awesome workout, gals!!! I am going to work on this! Thanks for the motivation!!

Kibby July 6, 2012 - 4:31 am

A few weeks ago, I was able to go to 7.5 minutes with plank. I love the mixing up of the movements and more body and muscle utilization this way. The one thing that keeps me going is saying to myself “I can do this. I am strong and healthy. I am creating beautiful muscles in my body.” Saying Positive body affirmations while working out really makes a difference. Thanks for sharing this combination and will put it to work myself. Great inspirations you two are! 🙂

Candice July 6, 2012 - 11:32 am

Thank you! I love this. I am up to a 3 minute plank after discovering your blog about a month ago. Planked real time with you this morning for the 3 minutes and going for 3:15 starting next week. Switching exercises every 30 sec made it go by fast! Keep the posts coming!

JennyO July 6, 2012 - 12:07 pm

I accept your challenge!! I love my planks, I have a 7 minute one but it has 10 sec rests between each minute. Gotta love a gymboss timer!!

purelytwins July 6, 2012 - 1:49 pm

Thanks Jenny!!! yay for plank love 🙂

Justine July 6, 2012 - 6:07 pm

Started doing the plank 2 month ago and now i’M up to 3 minutes everyday and i love it;)

Scott @ Your Inner Skinny July 6, 2012 - 10:14 pm

You girls and your freakish-ly awesome abs. I’m working on mine. I can do a 3 min plank straight. I’m going to give this a try this weekend!

purelytwins July 7, 2012 - 3:04 am

Scott you are too nice!!!

Mer July 7, 2012 - 1:24 am

AWESOME workout! Five minutes of planks sounds impossible and not fun at all, but the way you guys mix it up here makes it fly by! And it’s fun! I had to take some breaks, but I’m proud to say I tried all of the variations, and now I feel challenged to keep at it until I can do the whole thing without stopping. I’m really looking forward to the next workout! Thanks, ladies!

Micaela Marques July 7, 2012 - 6:38 pm

This is great! I’m not up to five minutes yet, but I hope to get there soon.

Love the button, by the way!

Taylor July 8, 2012 - 2:31 pm

Wow great workout. That was definitely harder than you guys made it look! Had to pause about halfway through but I’m going to work up to the whole 5 min without a break! Thanks 🙂

Maya July 8, 2012 - 10:52 pm

Hi Michelle and Lori-

I just wanted to let you guys know how much I love your fitness inspiration!

I have been reading your blog for a while, and after seeing how well you guys did, I decided I should do a plank challenge too. I started in mid-May with barely over a minute, and this weekend (both yesterday and today) I finally made it to 5 minutes!

I can’t even tell you how wonderful it feels, and how proud I am. And I have your idea (and your motivational words) to thank 🙂

purelytwins July 8, 2012 - 11:22 pm

Maya this is awesome news!! we are both so happy and honored to have helped you! keep it up 🙂

Hailey July 9, 2012 - 2:48 am

I loved this workout! It felt so fast and made me feel so strong! Hoping to do this more after cardio workouts because I can seem to hold in my abs instead of pushing them out.

purelytwins July 9, 2012 - 12:16 pm

awesome Hailey!!! yay!

Rawloulou July 11, 2012 - 5:20 pm

Hey ladies…..I tried the bridge you mentioned after the plankworkout for 2 minutes also!!! Brilliant addition and totally loving this workout and the fast muscle tone it’s Producing!!! Btw, also doing the body chin ups (using our dinning room table lol) but added alternate leg lifts at the same time….20 of these each day :0)
Just wanted to say Merci!!
Bliss
Loulou

purelytwins July 11, 2012 - 7:38 pm

AWESOME!!! thank you for sharing your progress picture with us on instagram!! so happy for you, and yes we are loving bridge too

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 13, 2012 - 6:16 pm

Ugh I’ve spent 20 minutes trying to grab the button but can’t figure out which widget to use with my wordpress dashboard on my self hosted site- can you help?

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 14, 2012 - 1:59 am

Hi again- I’m wondering if anyone else is having trouble grabbing the button? I tried it, and it didn’t work, and then a computer genius told me how to do it- it was what I had done- so I am sure I’m doing it right. Anyway- just an FYI- I’m trying! 🙂

purelytwins July 20, 2012 - 8:33 pm

Deb we updated the code! it should work now, sorry for the trouble.

Heather July 18, 2012 - 10:52 pm

Awesome! I just found the challenge & am going to begin tonight! I am putting a brand new blog together & will definitely be adding the Plank Challenge Button as soon as I figure out where I want it to go 🙂

Stephanie July 19, 2012 - 5:56 am

You ladies are so strong! Thanks for sharing this workout! I’ve been doing it but with lots of breaks 🙂 My goal is 5 minutes 😀

purelytwins July 19, 2012 - 2:28 pm

awesome, keep it up!!!

web design magazine July 27, 2012 - 7:03 pm

Thanks for finally talking about >5 minute plank holding workout for the full body <Loved it!

core exercises August 3, 2012 - 2:22 pm

Another core exercise is the abduction exercise that is highly recommended and superb for the outer thighs and hips. This is where one must be on the surface sideways on the floor with a leg atop the other. Use the hands to balance yourself and lift one of the outer legs forming an angle of 45 degrees. The position must be maintained for around two seconds and later the leg must be lowered in a way that returns it to its original posture. The movement should be repeated around ten or so times followed by a roll over towards another side for the same.

Trisha September 22, 2012 - 9:31 am

So.. My boyfriend is a high school varsity girls soccer coach and asked me to join him at a practice. I asked if I could do a challenge with them ( as on their team they rack up points for winning challenges) .. So I used the 5 min plank workout to start practice ( on wet grass even) . It was great! The girls were screaming! Ha ha. The winner lasted about 4 minutes … they all had a great time with it!

purelytwins September 22, 2012 - 10:16 am

Awesome Trisha!!! yay!!!

Andrea September 25, 2012 - 1:55 am

Ok. After seeing your awesome (but childless!) abs on Instagram every morning, I finally looked up your plank workouts. I tried this one first and my abs are burning! Going to keep at it and hopefully I’ll be able to do the whole 5 minutes soon. I’d like to lose the last little bit of my baby tummy 🙂

purelytwins September 25, 2012 - 8:33 am

Andrea yes you can and you will! Just keep at it!

Jenn Tucker Johnson October 9, 2012 - 11:16 am

Love this plank workout! Looking forward to trying it this afternoon.

Andrea November 13, 2012 - 9:01 pm

This is so killer awesome. I love it! And I love the blog as a whole. You two are very inspiring. Thank you.

plantain perfect fit protein spinach coconut oil pancakes January 30, 2015 - 8:49 pm

[…] we decided on doing our 15 minute #purelyfitlife #5 workout with doing our 5 minute plankworkout as our warm-up. And ended our workout session with doing 4 sets of 20 reps of lower ab raises. Oh […]