It’s Michelle here answering a readers question. I posted a picture of figs on instagram and Erika asked me some questions, which I answer in today’s vlog.
Candida diet. Can you have fruit? Why eating low carb is not a good choice.
Great questions Erika I hope my video helps answer them.
I officially knew I had candida back in 2011. I got a stool test done. Then this past December (2014) I got blood work done. My current doctor had me go on a low carb diet plus gave me supplements to help fight off the candida.
When I first started my candida healing journey back in 2011 I followed the typical advice out there like eat more vegetarian and have gluten-free grains (quinoa, millet, etc). I got better but it didn’t last long. It came back, so I added in fish and eggs back and took a break from fruit. Same thing happened, I got a little better but it didn’t last. Two years ago I started eating more paleo (grain-free) and this really helped. But it didn’t solve the issue.
I had to find my balance of carbs and sugar in my diet as low carb diets (keto like) are not the best for candida as it can still thrive. I currently do a carb cycle approach, so I get best of both worlds.
Supplements my doctor had me on to fight candida:
Fluconazole – took for 30 days
Nystatin -too for about 8 weeks.
I realized I had to really kill it not just starve the candida.
I have shared my thoughts on candida before here if you want to hear more of my thoughts on candida diet.
Other things mentioned in video:
- Find your balance of sugar and carbs.
- Don’t stay low carb for too long. You need some carbs. The amount will vary from person to person.
- Avoid fermented foods while you are fighting candida.
- Take a good probiotic. Might need a digestive enzyme.
- Work with your doctor to get tested.
- Try fighting it naturally with herbs, but do keep an open mind if you need something stronger.
- There could be other things going on in your gut, like a parasite. So you might need to look deeper into your gut health.
What are your thoughts on candida?