Hey beautiful!

It’s Michelle here answering a readers question. I posted a picture  of figs on instagram and Erika asked me some questions, which I answer in today’s vlog.

questions about candida

Candida diet. Can you have fruit?  Why eating low carb is not a good choice.

Great questions Erika I hope my video helps answer them.

I officially knew I had candida back in 2011. I got a stool test done. Then this past December (2014) I got blood work done. My current doctor had me go on a low carb diet plus gave me supplements to help fight off the candida.

When I first started my candida healing journey back in 2011 I followed the typical advice out there like eat more vegetarian and have gluten-free grains (quinoa, millet, etc). I got better but it didn’t last long. It came back, so I added in fish and eggs back and took a break from fruit. Same thing happened, I got a little better but it didn’t last. Two years ago I started eating more paleo (grain-free) and this really helped. But it didn’t solve the issue.

I had to find my balance of carbs and sugar in my diet as low carb diets (keto like)  are not the best for candida as it can still thrive. I currently do a carb cycle approach, so I get best of both worlds.

Candida diet. Can you have fruit? How many carbs should you have? Do low carbs work for candida? Sharing how I finally killed my candida. | purelytwins.com

Supplements my doctor had me on to fight candida:

Fluconazole – took for 30 days

Nystatin -too for about 8 weeks.

I realized I had to really kill it not just starve the candida.

I have shared my thoughts on candida before here if you want to hear more of my thoughts on candida diet.

Other things mentioned in video:

Monk fruit

Gut healing journey

Key takeaways:

• Find your balance of sugar and carbs.
  • Don’t stay low carb for too long. You need some carbs. The amount will vary from person to person.
  • Avoid fermented foods while you are fighting candida.
  • Take a good probiotic. Might need a digestive enzyme.
  • Work with your doctor to get tested.
  • Try fighting it naturally with herbs, but do keep an open mind if you need something stronger.
  • There could be other things going on in your gut, like a parasite. So you might need to look deeper into your gut health.

What are your thoughts on candida?

NEW blog signature-01

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

17 thoughts on “Candida diet: fruit, low carb not good, and my daily eats

1. Hi Michelle, glad you have improved your symptoms and found what works for you. It is a little misleading though to call fluconazole and nystatin supplements – they are anti fungal medications that are require a doctors prescription (at least where I’m from). Don’t get me wrong – I think you absolutely made the right decision to use them; just want to make sure you’re clear with others about what they are. Hope that you continue to feel better and stronger.

Posted on July 3, 2015 at 6:59 pm
    1. Sorry for calling them supplements but in the video I did say I got them from my doctor.

Posted on July 4, 2015 at 10:02 am
      1. Sorry, I hadn’t watched the video beforehand (wasn’t in a spot where I could listen to it properly). I guess the thing is that you can get both supplements and medications from doctors, and it’s good to be clear which is which. Again, glad to hear that you’re feeling so much better – love the site, and love your video.

Posted on July 5, 2015 at 4:00 am
        1. Thank you.

Posted on July 5, 2015 at 10:14 am
  2. Hi Michelle! Just FYI, it is pronounced CAN-di-da, not can-DI-ah.

Posted on July 3, 2015 at 7:38 pm
    1. Oh well this is how I heard others call it, but thanks.

Posted on July 4, 2015 at 10:02 am
      1. It doesn’t matter which way you pronounce it – both are fine. In America it seems like the focus is on the first syllable. In Australia it’s on the middle one. 🙂

Posted on July 5, 2015 at 4:01 am
  3. Interesting story~I think it’s so inspirational for those confused with nutrition and health and those who suffer candida.

Posted on July 4, 2015 at 12:26 am
    1. Thanks girl.

Posted on July 4, 2015 at 10:02 am
  4. Love these types of videos. Thank you so much for digging deep to share your story. These types of vlogs are not only relevant to those who have been diagnosed with candida, but i think it’s relevant to those with SIBO, IBS symptoms, digestive disorders and those struggling to find a diet/lifestyle that works for them. I know I truly appreciate them and I’m fighting SIBO. If either of you have tips for fighting SIBO, I would love another video on that topic. So s so many people are struggling with it, and it’s a tough one to conquer.

Thanks ladies!!

Posted on July 4, 2015 at 10:51 am
    1. Posted on July 5, 2015 at 10:16 am
  5. Oh my goodness…must we always pick at each other! For pete’s sake, Michelle is graciously sharing her struggles with others to help them. She never claimed to be a doctor! Why not just support each other through encouragement and gratefulness. Each of us must take info and research it for ourselves. These ladies are just sharing their own experiences. Thank you Michelle for being so brave to share this with us. You are a super star!

Posted on July 4, 2015 at 2:56 pm
    1. Thanks for the support. It’s all good here.

Posted on July 5, 2015 at 10:15 am
  6. Well-formulated ketogenic diets can be very therapeutic.
    Low-carb is not for everyone – but people can do well and be healthy with it.

Posted on July 7, 2015 at 11:06 am
    1. Agreed. It’s all about finding your balance.

Posted on July 8, 2015 at 10:29 am
  7. My doctor will not prescribe me so much Diflucan as so, he only will give me one or two pills. How did you get your doctor to prescribe so many? 😓

Posted on September 7, 2017 at 2:33 am
    1. I am not sure why he doesn’t, what is his reasoning?

Posted on September 12, 2017 at 11:52 pm