Jax is doing amazing with Madison.

vizsla-getting-smell-of-newborn-baby-blanket

When Madison was born Michelle brought home a blanket for Jax to get used to her smell. The next morning Michelle came down and saw Jax sitting like this on the couch – one foot on the blanket. Too cute.

vizsla-meeting-baby-first-time-home-from-hospital

The day we left the hospital to come home, I cried the whole way as I was so excited and overcome with emotion for Jax to meet Madison and to be home with my whole family!

The meeting went well 😉 Jax was unsure of what Madison was at first, but now he loves giving her kisses.

I am beyond excited to see their relationship build over the years!! Jax is so good with her. Sure he gets ‘in the way’ sometimes but he just loves being a part of it all. Well, all but the late night nursings. He stays in bed for those. Smart dog. He doesn’t like to hear Madison cry. Right there with ya Jax.

Whenever Madison is being fussy and I am walking her around the house Jax is right there by my side walking with me. It’s too cute.

vizsla-playing-with-newborn-baby

He also loves tummy time as he loves to lick kiss her. She doesn’t seem to mind his wet tongue 🙂

Jax has been a great big brother!

Jax has taught me some valuable life lessons already and he is just 2 1/2 years old. He definitely helped prepare me for being a mom to baby Madison.

18-life-lessons-my-vizsla-has-taught-me-about-being-a-mom

18 life lessons that my vizsla has taught me about being a mom

1. Patience – This is hard for me. I am not good at being patient. But by having Jax he has taught me to be patient. To breathe more. To let things go. He reminds me that everything will work out and be patient while I wait.

vizsla-kissing-baby-butt

Jax being patient while I nurse Madison.

2. Unconditional love – I never thought I could love someone as much as I love Gary. Jax made my heart bigger. Jax has taught me the importance of love. No matter what he does I will always love him. A great lesson that prepares me for life ahead. I always make sure Jax and Madison feel loved. Love conquers everything.

3. More patience – See #1. Things take time. I am slowly learning to just let things be.

lazy-vizsla-in-baby-nursery

Having business meetings in the nursery. Jax joined of course.

4. Making decisions based on him – Before Jax, my decisions were based off what I needed or what Gary and I needed to do, but when he came into my life my mind switched. I stopped worrying about me and made sure he was happy. Same feelings I have now for Madison. I do take care of myself but my biggest priority is taking care of my children.

5. Even more patience –  Practice makes perfect.

guard-dog-vizsla-baby

Jax keeping Madison company while I make breakfast.

6. Watchful eye – Jax has taught me to be more aware of my surroundings and making sure everything is safe.

7. Time management – As being a new mom and business owner I have had to learn how to fit in work with play time. Jax is an active dog. I had to learn to fit in time throughout the day to walk him, play with him, etc. This was a great lesson for me to prepare for Madison as I have a better grip on my schedule that allows me to give her all my love and still be a working stay-at-home mom.

8. Persistence – Sometimes things I have to be taught over and over before they become easier. Training Jax was not easy. It took a few months.  This lesson not only helped me personally but also with my business. Michelle and I have gone through some challenging times with our online business, but I keep going. I keep enduring. I never give up.  A lesson I will teach Madison — to never give up on her dreams.

9. Live in the moment –  He truly helps me live in the moment. And now with Madison I have slowed down even more to savor every little moment.

vizlsa-lying-next-to-newborn-baby

Jax loves play time.

10. Be silly. Be you. – Jax has brought so much laughter into my life. Never a dull moment with him. Jax was there during my dark years struggling with adult acne. He loved me no matter what I looked like. He helped remind me I am beautiful just as I am.  And don’t forget to laugh at myself.

11. Be ready for anything – this pretty much speaks for itself.

vizsla-sleeping-next-to-baby-nap-time

Jax loves nap time.

12. Scratches and snuggles fix everything – nothing beats a hug from your loved ones.

13. Forgive !

14. Trust your instincts – Jax has taught me to listen more to my inner voice.

15. Learn to do things faster – Dogs do not understand waiting. I have learned to move faster and try to do a few things at once.

vizsla-playing-in-baby-nursery

Sometimes while I nurse Madison I have to throw Jax’s toy. Multitasking.

16. Play more – Jax is always ready for whatever — play time, snuggle time…I love that about him. He reminds me not to take life so seriously.

17. Keeps me grounded – He reminds to be grateful every day and to count my blessings.

sleeping-baby-and-vizsla

My view while I work at the computer each most morning.

18. Be happy – Most of all Jax reminds me to just BE HAPPY! Laugh more. Love more. Enjoy life more.

These 18 life lessons have helped me be a better parent for Madison. Together, Jax and I, will teach Madison these life lessons too.

baby-vizsla-grown-up-with-newborn-baby-in-the-family

For two years it was just Jax and me.  Now it’s Jax, Madison and me! Like I said above, I cannot wait to see how their relationship grows over the years.

Jax helped me never feel alone, kept me active and lifted my mood when I was down. I know he will do all the same for Madison.

WE WANT TO HEAR YOUR PURELY THOUGHTS

Are you a dog person?

What has your dog or pet taught you?

NEW blog signature-01

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

18 thoughts on “18 lessons my vizsla has taught me about being a mom

1. I am totally a dog person! I am also a cat person, though. 🙂 Any animal, really!
    My pets have taught me so much. My dog (Rimfire on my blog) was a total help during my anorexia recovery, helping me be patient and drawing me out of my thoughts. He never was upset about my choices, either. Pets can make our life so much richer!
    The pictures are so cute!! Thanks for sharing!

Posted on November 4, 2014 at 10:39 am
    1. Yes!! Thank you 😉

Posted on November 4, 2014 at 11:08 am
  2. It’s amazing how animals imbue absolute and unconditional love. Their souls harbor wisdom and allowance. When I got my Min Pin Clee, it was also at a time of great hardship for me. Without hijacking your beautiful story, let’s just say she also saved my life and adult acne was a part of the story. No matter how dark the moment, no matter the hopelessness I felt — I would look at her silly little face and see her eyes look right through mine, right down to my soul. She loved me, accepted me, and honored me to the deepest depths and kept me laughing, loving and taught me how to love (truly love) all beings for what they really are.

Posted on November 4, 2014 at 10:39 am
    1. xoxo HUGS

Posted on November 4, 2014 at 11:09 am
  3. Lori- I love this post!
    I am a mom to one fur child- a nearly 11 year old yellow lab named Rudy.
    Over the past 10 years, he has been the best companion I could ask for- teaching me to put someone else’s needs before my own and reminding me daily that I am never alone! We moved a lot the first few years we had Rudy and he was an icebreaker for new friendships and he pushed us to spend lots of time outside exploring our new homes. He was the best running partner for a few years (his 90lb size took it’s toll on his joints) and then he continued to be a great hiker- he’s been atop 158 peaks and I’ve made a photo book of those experiences and its amazing to look at how my husband, Rudy and I have all changed over the years. I am incredibly sad knowing that our days with Rudy our numbered but so very blessed to have had the gift of his love for all these years.
    Dogs are great and those of us lucky enough to find our soul dogs are treated to some of the best years and experiences of our lives.
    Jax is lucky to have such a great mom! Keep the adorable photos of him and Madison coming =-)

Posted on November 4, 2014 at 11:16 am
  4. what a sweet post. dogs bring so much happiness and love into our lives.

Posted on November 4, 2014 at 12:26 pm
  5. LOVE this. my parents got a beagle/walker hound mix because our other dog was very sick and they knew that she would pass away soon,t hey thought getting a puppy just before the other one passed would help the puppy to learn a few things. I was a little sad that they already had a new puppy, but she has changed my life!

I thought I was a dog person, but I didn’t know what that meant until Cassie came around! She is so sweet, and loving and I seek her out during the day just to give her hugs and kisses, and she always does the same for me!

Dogs are the best! I love yours too, I plan on getting a Vizsla when I have the opportunity to get my own dog! They are stunning.

Posted on November 4, 2014 at 12:32 pm
  6. This is so sweet! I think patience would be the hardest thing for me. And the vomit. 😉

Posted on November 4, 2014 at 12:34 pm
  7. I guess I need a dog and / or child in order to practice my patience? LOL!

Posted on November 4, 2014 at 3:23 pm
  8. this makes me tear up. dogs are so loving, aren’t they? especially vizsla. Love jax and his patience. xoxo

Posted on November 4, 2014 at 6:50 pm
    1. xoxo He is still waiting to meet you 😉

Posted on November 4, 2014 at 8:29 pm
  9. Loved this post, ditto on the tear up over here…

Posted on November 5, 2014 at 8:04 pm
    1. xoxo hugs!

Posted on November 5, 2014 at 8:18 pm
  10. Jax is too adorable! What a good dog 😀

Posted on November 6, 2014 at 7:58 am
    1. thank you Jojo. I am very blessed to have him in my life xo

Posted on November 6, 2014 at 9:03 am
  11. This was a fun read for me because I have a 1 year old vizsla and a toddler with a baby on the way and I definitely am learning how to be patient. You said it took a few months to train your vizsla…did you use anything specific online or take him to a trainer? We are really struggling with this but she gets a lot of exercise everyday and is still as hyper as can be. Any tips?
    Thanks, kelsey

Posted on December 7, 2015 at 6:25 pm
    1. We took him to a trainer. We did private and group training classes which really helped. For my vizsla not to be hyper you have to exercise him a lot. Sometimes if I just go for a walk and nothing else that seems to make him more energetic. But when we started the training that tired him out mentally, so it helped.

Posted on December 7, 2015 at 11:42 pm
  12. Our fur babies have taught us so much about how to be parents as well. I love that you’re cloth diapering too! We love our CDs!

Posted on January 31, 2016 at 11:27 am