Hey luvs,

Thank you for all the sweet comments about Lori’s natural birth and my letter to Madison.  I had planned today to give an eczema update, but I have not had time to edit the video. I will get it up sometime next week.

It is girls weekend over here 😉 Lori’s husband is out of town, so I am spending the weekend with Lori and Madison!

plantains

Today we thought we would answer some questions about plantains. We still receive numerous questions about why we eat, what are plantains, etc. plus some new questions that we are addressing today.

So here we go!

baked plantain

Plantains FAQ

1. Where can I find plantains??

Plantains can be found at your local mainstream grocery store located in the fresh produce section near the red bananas, yucca, aloe vera section.  And if you don’t see any plantains try asking the store manager about getting some into your store. It’s always worth a shot asking 😉  You could also seek out ethnic grocery stores like Latin or Spanish to see if they carry them.

Good news: you can buy plantains online here! We plan to try it out. We will report how it goes once we try it.

plantains breads

2.  If purchased in bulk can you safely freeze plantains??

Yes!!! You can freeze them raw or cooked. Even our plantain bread freezes.  See how to make plantain bread here.

3.  How long do the plantains stay fresh?

You can eat plantains at any stage of ripeness so they can stay fresh for awhile (maybe 2 weeks) on the counter.  We aren’t certain as plantains never last that long in our house.

4. What is the best way to peel the skin off the plantain??

You may use a knife to slice the ends off and score a line down the middle of skin.

You can see the video of us here showing you how to cut a plantain open.

fried plantain chips in coconut oil

5.  Why do we always use plantains? What got us started on plantains for our grain-free recipes?

Honestly, we just heard about plantains one day. Then we saw them in the store and decided to try them out.  We first enjoyed them as plantains chips.

Then we made a 3 ingredient breakfast cake, which then lead us to make many recipes using plantains.

We love trying new ingredients when we can.  Working with plantains was all new for us as we had never worked with them before. After cooking with them a few times we realized how easy they were to work with! And we were hooked!

We find plantains to be the easiest to use for grain-free and egg-free recipes.

That is why we continue to use them. When we use them as our flour in recipes we look at the recipe as more REAL food instead of processed.

baked plantains

6  What makes a good substitution for plantains?

Tough question as we don’t have an exact replacement.  Using green unripe bananas is our go-to sub for them. Other things you can try is raw sweet potatoes but the final outcome is usually different. You can also play around with using regular flours to replace it. We have made our protein banana bread with 2 cups flour, no plantain, and it worked.

7.  Why plantains?

We love their versatility. Plantains can be enjoyed sweet or savory.

It can made as:

brownies

mac-n-cheese

cinnamon toast crunch cereal

pizza

cookie dough cinnamon rolls

It is potato like but tolerated by people who avoid nightshades. Green plantains are starchy and ripe black plantains are more sweet. Most of our recipes we use green, sometimes yellow ones.

gluten free cinnamon rolls

8.  Are plantains low carb?

No, it’s not. It is definitely a good starch for many but is not low carb.  Plantains are a good source of energy. A great carb source instead of always having sweet potatoes, potatoes or rice.  For 100 grams of plantains it is 31 grams of carbs. (source)

9. Can you be allergic to plantains?

Yes. It is in the banana family and can cause issues for people. I am even noticing I cannot have them as often as I have in the past due to my skin.

50 grain-free recipes without using almond flour ebook

50 grain-free recipes made without almond flour

If you are interested in our top 50 plantain recipes, you can get our ebook off Amazon for only $2.99 !! It contains some of our top favorite recipes plus new ones, featuring the number 1 way we eat them now.  Or you can browse all of our plantain recipes here and print off the recipes for FREE 🙂

We will continue to use plantains in our recipes but we will also have plantain-free recipes too!

Check out this video to see us peeling a plantain and discussing more about plantains.

Do you like plantains? Do you like seeing our plantain recipes?

What do you want us to make next?

If you enjoyed this post, it would be so much to us if you shared it. Thank you.

NEW blog signature-01

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

27 thoughts on “9 FAQ about plantains

1. AWESOME POST! I always wondered if I peeled mine like you 😉 and i do!

Posted on October 10, 2014 at 10:59 am
    1. 🙂 yay!

Posted on October 10, 2014 at 11:00 am
  2. I am LOOOOVING using plantains in cooking now that I am grain, nut and coconut free!

Do you have a way that you generally use plantains to replace flour in baking? Like, the recipe calls for so and so amounts of flour, so you use such and such amounts of plantains and decrease the liquid by so and so? I know that’s a silly question, but just thought I’d ask.

Can’t wait to make plantain bread pudding this weekend!

Posted on October 10, 2014 at 11:06 am
    1. good question – that is tough to say, we haven’t really figured that out yet. but we would say one large plantain at least 6oz after being peeled can be about 2 cups of flour give or take. we will have to start playing around with that so we can know of sure

Posted on October 10, 2014 at 1:03 pm
      1. Thanks! I’ll be playing around with it too!

Posted on October 10, 2014 at 2:09 pm
  3. I have been dieing in plantain withdrawal for over a month now! I can’t find any in DC….Ordering online just may be my solution!

Posted on October 10, 2014 at 11:52 am
    1. nice – yay!!! we probably will have to start ordering ours too as our stores do not always have them

Posted on October 10, 2014 at 1:04 pm
  4. I have been really enjoying the plantain bread, it really tastes fantastic, works perfect as a bread replacement and I love the carbs not coming from fruit. It was new to me but the recipe for the bread is actually fool proof!

Posted on October 10, 2014 at 1:22 pm
    1. So glad you are enjoying the plantain bread recipe 😉

Posted on October 10, 2014 at 4:43 pm
  5. I’m fascinated by the way you use plantain and have tried a couple of your recipes with great success. They almost taste too good to be truly healthy! You guys work out a lot so I guess you burn off these carbs quickly but for those who don’t exercise as much, will they lead to weight gain and high blood sugar levels?

Big congrats to Lori. You look so calm and contented – you’ll be a great mother!! xx

Posted on October 10, 2014 at 1:32 pm
    1. If someone is not very active they need to be aware of carbs, all sources not just plantains. Glad you have enjoyed our recipes!!

Posted on October 10, 2014 at 4:44 pm
  6. Your plantain recipes are truly amazing! I have a metabolic disorder (PKU) that requires a protein restricted diet and these recipes help to keep me within my daily quota. Grains and nut flours are all too high in protein for me to eat/bake with, but plantains are only around 3 grams of protein per 100 grams. Now those are my kind of numbers! So thank you for making my life that little bit easier 🙂

Posted on October 10, 2014 at 5:06 pm
    1. Amy so happy to help you out 🙂 so happy you love our plantain recipes – more to come 😉

Posted on October 10, 2014 at 8:02 pm
  7. Thanks for posting! I haven’t tried them as I stopped eating bananas as they are migraine trigger. I’m scared to try these but going to pass along recipes to family that can tolerate.

Posted on October 10, 2014 at 5:50 pm
  8. i love your recipes,my favorite blog!
    i made 2 bach of your gingerbread so good!
    and i love your peanut butter plantain blondie to!
    new idee: plantain carotte cake or macha plantain cake!

Posted on October 10, 2014 at 9:05 pm
    1. Awesome! So glad you enjoy our recipes!

Posted on October 11, 2014 at 12:13 pm
  9. GREAT summary! I love plantains. Need to go buy some more!

Posted on October 11, 2014 at 9:26 am
    1. Thanks! We do too haha

Posted on October 11, 2014 at 12:14 pm
  10. you just reminded me that i need more plantain flour too! gotta make that mac and cheese!

Posted on October 11, 2014 at 7:02 pm
  11. Just gotten into plantains after reading about all the tasty recipes on your blog and pinterest – so good! I have been making an indian flatbread with them to go with curry and fees like a total treat!

Posted on October 13, 2014 at 4:23 am
  12. I only shop the grocery store for plantains, and maybe toilet paper or something I need. All the rest of my food comes from Trader Joe’s (parsnips!!!!) or the local farmer’s markets. The cashier usually has no idea what plantains are, and asks me what I do with them. (And they usually only have about 6 of them.)
    Thanks for introducing me to both plantains and parsnips!

Posted on October 18, 2014 at 11:58 am
    1. 🙂 your welcome!

Posted on October 18, 2014 at 6:14 pm
  13. I LOVED this post. I’m Dominican so I grew up eating plantains with everything and making all sorts of dishes with them. It’s great to see other people discovering them. Thanks for sharing your recipes!

Posted on November 11, 2014 at 11:47 am
    1. oh yes we love our plantains!!

Posted on November 11, 2014 at 12:07 pm
  14. OK so can not get plantains over here tried for years not seen a single one. So I have bought green bananas and am drying them now. I weighed one and will weigh it again when it is dried then make note of the volume. But my question is your recipes with the fresh whole plaintain will I be able to add the dried banana with the amount of water that came from it as if it where a plantain ? It is literally the only way of make these for me.
    Also red bananas never heard of them ! Will be having a look on the internet for them bananas are yellow

Posted on August 29, 2016 at 10:02 am
    1. Sorry to hear you cannot find plantains in your area. Not sure if you have access to Amazon but you can order them online. Most of recipes you can sub a green banana for just as is. No need to dry them. Depending on the recipe we have used parsnips to make our plantain bread and we’ve had readers use sweet potatoes.

Posted on August 29, 2016 at 11:24 pm