10 things to help overcome constipation.
We admit we are obsessed with talking about digestion and poop as you will see that we talked about constipation and bowel movements for 30 minutes.
Guess we had a lot to share 😉
If you don’t struggle with constipation or you really don’t care please skip over this post and come back tomorrow for our July favorites!!
10 tips for getting over constipation for good!
Our quick story with constipation:
We can remember having some sort of level of constipation growing up and into adulthood. Dealing with constipation and stomach issues our whole life is one reason why we always did things differently in terms of our diet. We were always looking for a solution to our problem. Trying new things until we found something that worked. We are big believers that changing your diet and lifestyle is the best solution over taking pills. We have experienced all levels of constipation and we can now say we are no longer dealing with major constipation. Happy dance!!
How did that happen?
We continued to experiment until we discovered foods, workouts and a lifestyle that helped our digestive system.
If you are someone who struggles with constipation we hope you try one of these tips. One might not be enough to make a difference, you might have to try a few new things as we’ve learned.
Biggest thing to remember we are all DIFFERENT! One thing might work for us but might not work for you. Keep trying until you find what helps you go to the bathroom easier.
We want you to have success in the bathroom so you can turn around your health on all levels.
10 diet and lifestyle changes to relieve constipation:
1) Eat more healthy fats. Both plant and animal based.
Our most important tip because it is critical that our livers are producing enough bile to eliminate toxins through our colon. How is this achieved? By eating plenty of healthy fats. If you are used to eating a low-fat diet, you will need to start slow and retrain your body to release bile effectively. You might experience some constipation at the start, but as your body adjusts you will be good to go.
2) Create a schedule. Create a routine for your TIME in the bathroom. Make it a habit.
And most importantly go when you have the urge. Feel free to call it what we do –> the moment of opportunity!
3) Visualize yourself being successful in the bathroom. We know might sound silly but think about “letting go.”
4) Exercise properly as we do inside the club. Find ways to move the body as it can help keep things moving. We have found doing a little something first thing in the morning helps!
6) Play around with water and fiber intake until you find your magic number. How to start with this? Calculate how much water and fiber you are having now and then either increase the amount or reduce it. Record your results. Keep doing this until you feel you got the right amount of water to help you go. And don’t overdo it with the fiber, especially if you are already dealing with chronic stomach issues.
8) Eat fermented foods and drinks to get good probiotics in your gut. Also taking a probiotic helps. As we mentioned in video you might have to try different brands to see what one helps you go. A little side note when you start to increase probiotic you might experience some constipation as your body adjusts, just keep going and it will all work out.
9) Resistant starch. We won’t get into much detail with this, check out the links below, but we have seen improvements the days we have some resistant starch. And if you download our grain-free ebook you can see our favorite way to enjoy it!
10) Use more salt in your diet. Especially if you eat mostly a real foods diet, adding sea salt to your meals will keep things moving. Don’t be afraid of using it. We like sea salt from Mountain rose herbs.
Going back to our number one tip – we have learned that if you do not produce the right amount of bile, you cannot properly digest fats that you ingest in your diet. This could possibly result in deficiencies in fat-soluble vitamins like vitamins A, D, E, and K.
Most people read about adding more fiber to help with constipation. Well, this may work for some, others need more fat in their diets! This is what we have learned from our personal experience. The more fat we have the better we poop the next day. Sorry for the TMI.
For more reading about constipation:
Constipation – the SCD lifestyle has a lot of good posts
Do you struggle with going to the bathroom regularly? What are your tips for constipation?
Do you notice you do good with high or low fiber intake? Any thoughts you would like to add?
We know this topic is not very fun to talk about, but a health topic that needs more attention we feel. It is so important for overall good health to have a normal bowel movement in life. We would love to hear from you about this subject! Comment below!
We appreciate you stopping by and listening to us talk about poop. If you found this video and post helpful please share this with others as we want to help others feel better and “go” to the bathroom.
Disclosure: In order to support our blogging activities, we may receive monetary compensation for our recommendations and/or links to any products from this blog. Please note, we only endorse products that are in alignment with Purely Twins values and we believe would benefit of our readers. Some post may have affiliate links, which means if you buy something through these links, Purely Twins gets a small percentage at no extra cost to you. We appreciate the support as it helps keep Purely Twins going!