10 things to help overcome constipation.
10 things to help overcome constipation purelytwins

We admit we are obsessed with talking about digestion and poop as you will see that we talked about constipation and bowel movements for 30 minutes.

Guess we had a lot to share 😉

If you don’t struggle with constipation or you really don’t care please skip over this post and come back tomorrow for our July favorites!!

10 tips for getting over constipation for good!

Our quick story with constipation:

We can remember having some sort of level of constipation growing up and into adulthood. Dealing with constipation and stomach issues our whole life is one reason why we always did things differently in terms of our diet. We were always looking for a solution to our problem. Trying new things until we found something that worked. We are big believers that changing your diet and lifestyle is the best solution over taking pills. We have experienced all levels of constipation and we can now say we are no longer dealing with major constipation. Happy dance!!

How did that happen?

We continued to experiment until we discovered foods, workouts and a lifestyle that helped our digestive system.

If you are someone who struggles with constipation we hope you try one of these tips. One might not be enough to make a difference, you might have to try a few new things as we’ve learned.

Biggest thing to remember we are all DIFFERENT! One thing might work for us but might not work for you. Keep trying until you find what helps you go to the bathroom easier.

We want you to have success in the bathroom so you can turn around your health on all levels.

10 diet and lifestyle changes to relieve constipation:

1) Eat more healthy fats. Both plant and animal based.

Our most important tip because it is critical that our livers are producing enough bile to eliminate toxins through our colon. How is this achieved? By eating plenty of healthy fats. If you are used to eating a low-fat diet, you will need to start slow and retrain your body to release bile effectively. You might experience some constipation at the start, but as your body adjusts you will be good to go.

2) Create a schedule. Create a routine for your TIME in the bathroom. Make it a habit.

And most importantly go when you have the urge. Feel free to call it what we do –> the moment of opportunity!

3) Visualize yourself being successful in the bathroom. We know might sound silly but think about “letting go.”

4) Exercise properly as we do inside the club. Find ways to move the body as it can help keep things moving. We have found doing a little something first thing in the morning helps!

5) Supplements to help -magnesium and vitamin C. We got the idea to mix the two for a little boost to go from Ben Greenfield. Here is the vitamin C powder we use.

6) Play around with water and fiber intake until you find your magic number. How to start with this? Calculate how much water and fiber you are having now and then either increase the amount or reduce it. Record your results. Keep doing this until you feel you got the right amount of water to help you go. And don’t overdo it with the fiber, especially if you are already dealing with chronic stomach issues.

7) Use proper form. Squatty potty is best. We showed us using it in this digestion video. Get one today, your colon will thank you 😉

8) Eat fermented foods and drinks to get good probiotics in your gut. Also taking a probiotic helps. As we mentioned in video you might have to try different brands to see what one helps you go. A little side note when you start to increase probiotic you might experience some constipation as your body adjusts, just keep going and it will all work out.

9) Resistant starch. We won’t get into much detail with this, check out the links below, but we have seen improvements the days we have some resistant starch. And if you download our grain-free ebook you can see our favorite way to enjoy it!

10) Use more salt in your diet. Especially if you eat mostly a real foods diet, adding sea salt to your meals will keep things moving. Don’t be afraid of using it. We like sea salt from Mountain rose herbs.

Going back to our number one tip – we have learned that if you do not produce the right amount of bile, you cannot properly digest fats that you ingest in your diet. This could possibly result in deficiencies in fat-soluble vitamins like vitamins A, D, E, and K.

Most people read about adding more fiber to help with constipation. Well, this may work for some, others need more fat in their diets! This is what we have learned from our personal experience. The more fat we have the better we poop the next day. Sorry for the TMI.

For more reading about constipation:

Causes and cures for constipation

What is constipation

4 qualities for perfect poop

Constipation – the SCD lifestyle has a lot of good posts

Recommendations for constipation

Yoga poses for constipation

Do you struggle with going to the bathroom regularly? What are your tips for constipation?

Do you notice you do good with high or low fiber intake? Any thoughts you would like to add?

We know this topic is not very fun to talk about, but a health topic that needs more attention we feel. It is so important for overall good health to have a normal bowel movement in life. We would love to hear from you about this subject! Comment below!

We appreciate you stopping by and listening to us talk about poop. If you found this video and post helpful please share this with others as we want to help others feel better and “go” to the bathroom.

NEW blog signature-01

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

21 thoughts on “10 things to help overcome constipation (#1 was the biggest help for us)

1. PERFECT POST! You know I love talking poop too 🙂 Love you girls and I agree with all of these! Healthy fats and more fibre was a big one for me

Posted on July 24, 2014 at 12:02 pm
  2. I have a question about out bodies getting used to the release of bile. As it is getting used to it does it feel like you have heart burn? Or how does it feel? I’ve noticed that in mid mornings after 2-3 hours I have breakfast I start to notice the bile in the back of my throat. Your thoughts on this would be helpful!

Thanks!

Oh! and I also suffer from constipation from time to time and some of the tips you gave I’ve applied and they do work. My next step is to buy the potty step! 🙂

Posted on July 24, 2014 at 12:31 pm
  3. I used to have struggle with this until I had a heart problem and my doctor recommended potassium and salt! Problem fixed! Which is amazing because like you I was analyzing EVERYTHING in my diet/day/routine to try to discover the culprit. Huzzah for a doctor also not prescribing pills first and trying to find a food/vitamin based solution. Though I do know there are options if my heart condition changes 🙂

Posted on July 24, 2014 at 5:58 pm
  4. Your post has perfect timing! I continue to struggle with constipation. Some days are good and some are bad. It’s really frustrating to feel like you don’t have control over your own body. I’m going to give it another shot and really try to figure out what to eat and do to be regular. I take Miralax every day and have for the past 4 years. It’s so frustrating that doctors think that’s normal!! Even on Miralax I don’t go every day and then feel really gross. Thanks for these great tips! Went out last night and picked up coconut oil, plantains, avocados, and sweet potatoes. I love that you give ideas I haven’t tried and don’t just preach about “fiber, fiber, fiber.”

Posted on July 25, 2014 at 8:16 am
  5. I looooove this! Nothing better than a good poop! I have to go to start the day or it’s not going to happen… I do the Natural Calm every night, and I’ve really loved gelatin. It’s helped with regularity. I hadn’t heard the salt thing before!

Posted on July 25, 2014 at 11:29 am
    1. glad you enjoyed it Laura! same here we love starting our day with a good poop 😉

Posted on July 25, 2014 at 4:00 pm
  6. Great post, girls! I started drinking Calm, thanks to you girls, about 6 months ago. It’s great! I switched to magnesium malate in capsule form recently and it works just as well. I also started brewing my own kombucha and eating fermented veggies – this was the key for me! I’ve never had such awesome times in the bathroom until now! 😉 There really is something to that fermented stuff with probiotics.

Posted on July 25, 2014 at 12:24 pm
    1. Awesome to hear this Julie!! Yes fermented stuff is great!

Posted on July 25, 2014 at 1:09 pm
    2. Julie so happy to hear this yay!!

Posted on July 25, 2014 at 3:39 pm
  7. I love tip #1 the best! Calm is also one of my favorite supplements.

Posted on July 25, 2014 at 1:53 pm
    1. thanks Nicole!! yes it is

Posted on July 25, 2014 at 3:39 pm
  8. Making sure I get a few tablespoons of coconut oil really helps, and also digestive enzymes. In fact I find I need both every day for totally happy tummy.

Posted on July 26, 2014 at 6:07 am
    1. Agreed Eimear

Posted on July 26, 2014 at 9:19 am
  9. There are many levels of constipation from spending allot of time waiting on the throne to real pain and health concerns. Most people are aware that you can use an enema to help with constipation but obviously you can’t do this every time. Another approach is to use a Hand Bidet Sprayer. Primarily used for cleaning up after going it can also be used to shoot a quick shot of water up the pipes. This helps get things looser and moving; fast, conveniently and without discomfort. It also works great the same way on the opposite problem of diarrhea.

Posted on July 27, 2014 at 4:31 am
  10. I’m am totally the same way! The main reason I started changing my diet about four years ago was because of my chronic constipation so although it totally sucks, I kind of see it as a blessing because I know I am so much healthier now than I was before even though I do still deal with some constipation issues. I love all your tips as well! I do pretty much all of these things as well and they have seriously helped! One other thing that helps me is keeping my stress levels in check. If I’m super anxious I get super stopped up and s*** ain’t movin’. Literally ;)It’s definitely a long and individual process to figure this all out and I love that you are sharing your journey with all of us readers. I know it helps me and I’m sure it helps plenty of other people!

Posted on July 30, 2014 at 3:20 pm
    1. Agreed about stress!! Thank you for commenting and happy to hear you are doing better 🙂

Posted on July 30, 2014 at 4:44 pm
  11. It’s just fermented cabbage! Delicious!

Posted on December 24, 2014 at 7:04 pm
  12. Thank you for all the tips. I will try these, as most of the people commented below, I have struggled with this for years and my doctor just says take miralax and colace. I eat a plant based, dairy free diet so it is so frustrating to be constipated all the time. I heard about the healthy fats and I try to incorporate olive oil, avocados or coconut oil in each day to my meals. But the salt tip I will also be trying. I did go out and purchase Calm so I will also be trying that. Thanks so much. I hope too, this will get better. It is very uncomfortable to feel like this day in and day out and puts you in a blue mood. I always look forward to your emails 🙂

Posted on February 12, 2017 at 6:34 pm
    1. Yes you’ll love Calm. Play around with how much water you drink too as that can play a role and how much fiber you are eating. Magnesium has been a life saver for us. Thank you for your support and sweet words.

Posted on February 14, 2017 at 2:10 am