Q&A: how to help dry skin, eczema, and did paleo help or hurt our skin

Yesterday flew by for us as we were non-stop getting things back to normal around here.

I was listening to more podcasts that got me rethinking some things about my own personal diet.  I made Lori listen to some parts of the podcast over our coffee talk as I wanted to get her thoughts on what was said.  Some of the information discussed in the podcast we have heard before; however, it is also good to hear the information again.  Sometimes it hits you differently the second time you hear it.

This is the podcast I was listening to about digestive health.

Diet can be so confusing, especially for those that have some sort of skin or digestion issue. One thing that I have realized over the years is lowering stress and keeping a food journal are essential to the healing process.  Lori and I still have a lot of unanswered health questions but we are more and more hopeful each day that those questions will get answered.  Or maybe we will never know the answers and we are okay with that too.

We love getting readers questions as it helps us connect more with our purely twins family.

Today we are answering two different readers questions in our purely talk video.

How to help dry skin and eczema, thoughts on hormones and carbs, and did the paleo diet help or hurt my eczema.

how to help dry skin and did eating paleo help with eczema purelytwins

Sorry for Jax interrupting the video at times. What can we say vizslas are velcro dogs :) And we love him even though it can be a little annoying when we are trying to work.

We hope in the video to bring some relief or tips that may help you with your skin issue.  We want to let you know that you are not alone, that we are or have suffered too.

But the great thing is – the  body wants to heal. It can heal when given the proper time and attention.

Any other questions please comment below.

Things discussed in video:

• inflammation and eczema
  • supplements to help with dry skin
  • oils to put on dry skin
  • carbs and hormones (getting a period)
  • what parts of our health was helped from going paleo
  • did paleo make hurt Michelle’s eczema
  • gut flora
  • and no one diet for everyone

Books and Resources:

The Hidden Plague by Tara Grant
Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo
The Plan by Lyn Genet
How to eat, move, and be healthy by Paul Chek

Diet Wise by Keith Scott-Mumby

Other resources:

Biggest things to remember try different things, keep experimenting, and document everything as you never know when you will need to reflect back on your journey to help answer a difficult question.

Like always we will continue to share any health/skin news with you.

Thank you for the continued love and support. And for tips and suggestions that you provide us! We love hearing from our purely twins family.

CLICK HERE TO SEE MY EZCEMA UPDATE

Do you suffer from dry skin? If so, what has helped you overcome that?

What supplements or products you’ve felt that made the biggest difference in your skin health?

xo

NEW blog signature-01

Opt In Image
Subscribe for free Updates + Purely Fit Life Tips

Each week you'll receive the latest happenings: free workouts, recipes plus tutorial videos, tips on how to create a life of motivation, health, and beauty, and more. You may read new posts at your own convenience. Welcome to the PT family!

You will receive a welcome pack after signing up with our 4 life tips,
4 healthy recipes and a killer cardio core workout.

10 Responses to Q&A: how to help dry skin, eczema, and did paleo help or hurt our skin

1. Amanda says:

Hi Lori and Michelle, I have been watching your videos for a while now and following your journey to health and wellness. I too have had a hard road with excess weight, terrible acne, and skin and hair issues. After years of trial and error, I feel like I have finally found what works best for my body, at least for now. :) Having kids can change everything, so just be aware Lori. My skin got so much better while I was pregnant, but got worse after I had my babies due to hormones. Speaking of hormones… have you girls heard of Alisa Vitta and her book Woman Code? Bex did an interview with her and I bought her book to help with PMS and hormonal issues that I am still having. She talks about cycling food to optimize your hormones and fertility. She specializes in PCOS and hormonal issues and fertility. Her website is Flowliving.com . I just thought she might be a new resource to check out. Thanks for all the great workouts, recepies, and diet info. Keep up the great work! You two are great! Much love!

2. thanks for being so open with us girls :D much appreciated and thanks for sharing the podcast link! i will give it a listen :D you KNOW I LOVE digestive health stuff :D keep it coming – love you both sooooo much and wanna catch up soon :D
    Meg @ A Dash of Meg recently posted..Thinking Out Loud: 06/12My Profile

3. abdul waheed says:

I suffer from dry skin, and I used to apply some oil to my face and rest of body to get rid of the annoyance caused by dryness of the skin. It helps for a few hours but the skin went back to the same dry condition. Now, I use a store-bought cream and it’s working fine. Also, I am using Dove soap and it keeps my whole body less dry than before. Thanks for the great post.

4. Mflower says:

hi lovely, I’m in the UK struggling with some similar stuff to you. I heard you say in one of the vlogs that you bath in epsom salts, and found it helpful. I wanted to tell you whilst i do the same, since I have been splashing my face with it and letting it dry rather than patting it off (I do this at least twice a day- just my face not a bath no tie for that ha) my PCOS related acne is clearing up. It’s slow but it’s definitely working. I think maybe over the course of two weeks it might be gone. This suggests magnesium may have a lot to do with it for me as I know it is a common deficiency in women with PCOS. So I just wanted to let you know in case it works for Lori. It’s so nice of you both to share your story even though it can be such a difficult struggle dealing with all these things.

All the best x

5. Amanda says:

Hey Michelle,

Have you heard of the Auto Immune Protocol? I’ve heard really good things about it for people with eczema and other auto immune disorders. Heres a great blog on it: http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmunity/the-autoimmune-protocol if not. I’ve been following you girls since your vegan days and actually transitioned into eating meat because of you and have been helped tremendously by adding healthy fats back into my diet. Thanks for always sharing your journey with food and healing!

Amanda

• purelytwins says:

Amanda yes I have read a lot about it. I have done pretty much everything recommended. My body is just a mystery. haha But I am looking into the protocol again.

6. DA says:

Howdy

A proper elimination should follow the principles set out in

Otherwise, you’ll just be assuming a food is causing a negative response, when really, its a build up of natural [or unnatural] food chemicals that occur in a variety of foods.

7. jordanna says:

This video is great, thank you. I don’t know if this may help you; I had eczema as a child and when it would get really bad we controlled it with steroid creams, then it came back worse this year and steroid creams were no longer working, stronger creams would work and Then it would come back worse. I decided that I didn’t want to be on steroids any more so headed to the internet. I then came across ITSAN and topical steroid withdrawal, the more I read I realised this was me!! It a going to take a good 12 months to detox but at least I now have an answer, maybe it may be yours.