week 23 pregnancy update purelytwins

At my last appointment last week my doctor handed me the paperwork on the TdaP and glucose screening test.  I knew this day would come but I am not ready to make a decision yet.

I feel there is so much information out there that it’s hard to determine what is the right thing to do. Maybe I am overthinking the whole glucose test?!? Or maybe not.

I have seen several blogging friends do the glucose test with no problems. But I have also seen other friends not do the test. I know it’s a personal decision. Everyone will pick different things. One reason why I am not a fan of the glucose test is that you drink all this sugar in one sitting. And I never would have that much sugar, due to hormones and skin issues, so it’s hard for me to be okay with it.  So, I am not sure what to do about this test.  I am starting to research more about another test to do instead – A1C diabetes blood test. Anyone else know about this? Is it good?

And in terms of the TdaP vaccination I am not a fan at all. I do plan on turning this down. I never get vaccinations or flu shots, so why would I do it now? There is more and more research coming out how vaccinations aren’t always safe. I know this is a hot topic but those are my personal opinions.

Some sources I have been reading –

Should I give my baby a flu shot or not

Tdap vaccine pushed on pregnany women despite fetal risks

cuteline3-01

Bathroom progress.

bathroom floors

bathroom floors 2

Gary was able to get a lot done to the bathroom floors since the last update. From pulling up old flooring and getting the floors prepped and ready for the new tile.  And the new vanity gets delivered today so super excited to see it!

vizsla watching owner

Jax watching Gary. He’s so confused on what is starting to happen.

cuteline3-01

pregnancy week 23 purelytwins

pregnancy week 23 update:

Current food cravings?

Nothing too crazy. Eggs, pickles and coconut butter are some of my favorites lately. Still avoiding sauerkraut and most veggies besides my fermented veggies.

coconut butter

Dangerous that I can quickly whip up a batch of homemade coconut butter 😉

What I ate yesterday –>

coconut oil mush

Coconut oil gelatin honey frosting mush with vitamin D and fermented cod liver oil mixed in. Along with my other supplements.

rice eggs

After mush, it was the main part of breakfast – rice (cooked in turmeric that’s why it’s yellow) with 2 coconut flour egg pancakes.

burger sweetpotatoes

Post-workout/lunch was handful of sautéed dandelion greens, sweet potatoes, plantains and s bison burger. Topped with coconut oil.

potatoes sardines

Dinner was potatoes, canned sardines and anchovies, coconut oil, nutritional yeast and fermented veggies. Not the prettiest meal I know but Michelle and I are trying to eat more sardined and anchovies for their health benefits.

samoa bar

Dessert was a slice of almond butter samoa bar. Best way to end the day!

Any symptoms?

Not really. Overall feeling pretty good. Some days I have an itchy belly.

Stretch marks?

None that I have noticed. Love my gelatin for helping.

Miss anything?

Not really besides what I have already mentioned before.

baby bump week 23

Baby bump is growing!

How is your skin?

My skin is doing so much better!  Most of my blemishes from prior weeks are going away. YAY!  All my other skin issues like some back acne and KP on arms are doing alright. I’ve been exfoliating but still having some issues.

How is digestion?

Digestion is good. Some days I did have some acid reflux. Other than that I am feeling good in this department. Bowel movements are good! So that’s a plus.

Total weight gain/loss?

I had an doctors appointment last week and they just did basic check-up things. And I have only gained about 4lbs so not that much. The doctor was a little worried at first but my belly is the size it should be and all my other test (iron, blood pressure) all look great. So she was not too worried. I feel like since then I have gained some. I am feeling good so I am going by that. I feel my body will gain the weight it needs too.

How’s the baby?

Baby M is doing great. I feel a few kicks mostly at night.

She is the size of a papaya or grapefruit, depending on what site I read.  She’s listening in on what’s going on in the outside world more and more each day. Her face is fully formed now (crazy to think about).

Now for my pregnancy workouts from last week:

pulll up

Practiced my pull-ups (using a resistance band) most days. Chin ups are still the easiest while pull-ups still a challenge.

Each morning I do my 10 minutes or so of rebounding and some light stretching. I was able to get a good walk in most days and did my 5 minute warm-up routine before each day I exercise.

staying strong and fit during pregnancy purelytwins

(me from about 2 weeks ago, showing that being pregnant and fit is a beautiful thing, that being pregnant does not slow me down – only makes me stronger)

*If you would like more help with pregnancy workouts (pre, during and post) please come and join the purely fit life family. Come and workout with me every day!

Monday –  did a club workout a 12 minute plank core workout plus 45 minute walk.

week 23 weight pregnancy workout

Tuesday-  filmed a new 15 minute full body weight workout for clients plus pull-ups and 45 minute walk. I really enjoyed this weight workout. It was filled with some exercises that I have not done in a long time. I felt great!

Wednesday – did 4 minute plank with 100 kettlebell swings and 45 minute walk. A great active rest day. Loving my KB swings.

pregnancy workout jump rope purelytwins

Thursday- one hour walk plus filmed a new 16 minute jump rope cardio for purely fit life clients. I did not overly push myself in this workout. But I love doing my jump rope still.

Friday-   filmed the new purely training #65 workout (coming next Monday)  a 20 minute HIIT style plus pull-ups and 30 minute walk. I felt really good in this workout, so I took advantage and enjoyed it.

Saturday-  did some light yoga after my 5 minutes of rebounding. Took the rest of the day off. It was nice to take a whole day off and just rest.

Sunday- did a club jump rope cardio workout purely inspire #16. Also did 100 KB swings and pull-ups. Felt good this day besides getting a little bit of acid reflux so I modified some moves in the workout.

Overall week 23 has been good to be so far. Each week I feel my belly getting bigger 🙂

I am super excited to see my family this week and enjoy this time with them. I have also sent out my baby shower invites so that is exciting.  Plus my baby registry is done. Now I can continue to plan the nursery and how life is going to change in a few months.

Like I mentioned above I am just considering my options for the glucose test. I will continue to do some research. I am not sure what I will decide yet.

What are your thoughts and/or experience with glucose test? Did you take it? Or did you turn down the test and do something different?

What you are thoughts on vaccinations?

As you can tell Michelle and I are not fans of them.

xo

Lori

NEW blog signature-01

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

46 thoughts on “{pregnancy} week 23 + thoughts on glucose test and vaccinations?

1. This is so awesome thanks so much for sharing this! (I guess I’ve missed most of your pregnancy update so far.) i’ve been following you guys since I was raw vegan as well, and it’s so cool that like me, you’ve found that a balanced, real food diet with high-quality healthy animal protein is so much more nourishing. From what I know about Paleo pregnancy and then nutrients that your body needs, it is so cool that your body is telling you take more healthy fats like coconut butter and egg yolks. I sure hope to have a pregnancy as healthy and relatively easy as yours and Arsy’s (Rubies and Radishes).

As for the glucose test, I expect I will have no interest in doing it also because if the test is positive, I understand they just tell you to limit sugar and eat lower carb, which I already do. I know they talked about refusing it on this podcast http://www.thepaleomom.com/2013/10/tpv-podcast-episode-62-fertility-early-pregnancy.html, so might be some good info there. I’ve also heard of this alternative

Thanks again so much for sharing the word about fueling and moving your body appropriately during pregnancy, wish you the best!

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 10:00 am
    1. Thank you!! I will listen and write my notes!! xo

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 12:59 pm
  2. I did not do the glucose test—I don’t eat that much sugar at once, and I read something that said that would likely cause a “fail” …which then leads to the 3-hour test (which is way worse). I explained to my midwife, and she was not really that nice about it, but eventually she said I had the option to do finger prick testing with a glucometer for several days. Then I just had to bring in the numbers the next time I came in. It’s not fun to prick your finger, but it is way better than that toxic drink!
    When I brought the numbers in, the midwife said doing it that way is more accurate anyway than just the one time test.
    If I had to do it again, I’d do the same thing, and probably print out the article about it by food babe as support (and maybe some others that give alternatives to the drink at least). It’s not that I’m fighting knowing if I have diabetes, it’s that I know my body will not handle that drink well (plus the drink is totally toxic). I have some friends who have done the test, but instead of drinking the drink, their doc let them eat jellybeans and a banana (or something similar).
    Good luck!
    Oh… and I did the TDAP… I read a lot, and it was so confusing and overwhelming that I finally just said I’d do it (especially because I don’t want to be the mom whose baby gets whooping cough because of my actions). Maybe I’ll change my tune about vaccines later, but I feel like it is VERY hard to become informed about it in an unbiased way.

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 10:00 am
    1. thank you Lisa!! I will look into the glucometer and I am thinking more about the TDAP for those same reasons

Posted on June 9, 2014 at 11:11 am
  3. This is my first pregnancy too and i plan to decline the gestational diabetes test. My midwife actually uses juice for it instead of the nasty syrup, but like you i would never consume that much sugar and have concerns on if i woukd pass it and what that amount of sugar would do to the baby.

My midwife said that it isnt the best indicater of gd anyway, as many healthy women have trouble passing it. She said she would be able to tell from other things if i was developing that. I dont know all the signs but one she mentioned was rapid and extreme weight gain. I do know she does a urine test at each appointment for sugars and protiens so maybe that is another indication.

Im not familiar with the vaccine you mentioned but dont plan to have any vaccinations while pregnant.

Love reading your updates! You are 11 weeks ahead of me so i get a preview of whats to come for me!

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 10:01 am
    1. thanks K, love the idea of juices instead!

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 1:00 pm
  4. Just say NO to vaccines!!! Yes you are so smart to be skeptical about natal western medicinal practices. I’ve never heard of the glucose test to be honest and that sounds like such quackery! Its unbelievable the amount of vaccines a baby gets nowadays compared to when we were kids in the 80’s, and they still have mercury in them?? Thats crap.

Western medicine treats pregnancy as an emergency when it is exactly the opposite, the most natural thing in the world. You could have a baby at home under a tree it would be perfectly healthy. Maybe even more so than a hospital, since they are breeding grounds for superbugs caused by antibiotic overprescription.

*off my soapbox*

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 10:12 am
    1. thanks Georgia!

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 1:01 pm
    2. Vaccinations are important.. I’m a nurse and I work with severely developmentally disabled and medically fragile children. I have seen the effects of mothers that choose not to vaccinate themselves or their children, and the effects can be devastating. The Tdap is especially important because while pertussis isn’t super common in adults, they can pass it on to baby and is very very dangerous. Definitely do your research and think about it before choosing to not vaccinate!

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 6:29 pm
    3. Please vaccinate your children for their health and the health of others. There is now overwhelming scientific evidence that does NOT support a link between vaccines and autism. Also, your information regarding mercury is misleading. Please see http://www.fda.gov/biologicsbloodvaccines/safetyavailability/vaccinesafety/ucm096228

You are correct that children receive more vaccines now that in the 1980s because new vaccines have been developed. Makes perfect sense to me? Here is a concise history: http://www.chop.edu/service/vaccine-education-center/vaccine-schedule/history-of-vaccine-schedule.html

Finally, a glucose test is not “quackery” because you haven’t heard of it. It is actually a standard procedure in the third trimester.

Posted on June 10, 2014 at 8:57 am
  5. I had the A1C with my last pregnancy and my OB was ok with it. It shows an average of your glucose levels over the last 2-3 months. Id definitely ask about it! I told my OB that if I failed the A1C I would happily just go on gestational diabetes protocol and opt against a 3-hour glucose test.

While I totally understand not eating the Tdap while pregnant I truly hope you reconsider when baby is here. Whooping cough is making a comeback and is seriously a terrible illness for babies. I get to each their own but seeing a kiddo with pertussis is devastating and can be life threatening.

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 10:33 am
    1. thanks Madeline, glad to hear about someone else doing the A1C! xo

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 1:02 pm
  6. I am a registered nurse. As far as the glucose tolerance test an hba1c is not a replacement for that. That measures blood sugar over the course of 3 months when for gestational diabetes the problem only begins later in pregnancy (around the time of the screening) so in theory an a1c could be fine and still have gestational diabetes. Instead, you could go to the doctor for frequent blood sugar checks (probably once a week?) or ask if you could drink a natural form I the amount of carbohydrates in the nasty orange toxic drink (such as dates mixed with water in the blender, or apply juice, etc) this is what I plan on doig when I get pregnant

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 10:46 am
    1. thanks Amanda, I like the idea of more natural drink. I will talk to doctor about it!

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 1:03 pm
  7. I support your decision to not do the glucose test or the vaccinations. The glucose test is pretty poorly designed and the liquid they give you is nasty stuff. Dr. Aviva Romm (midwife, herbalist, and Yale-trained medical doctor) wrote about this test on her blog a couple weeks ago. You might want to check it out to ease your anxieties – http://avivaromm.com/dont-drink-glucola-gestational-diabetes

Also, vaccinations are such a personal choice and they wear off within a few years anyways. Most adults are not vaccinated against anything which is why you see the commercials urging parents to get the pertussis vaccine even though most everyone had that vaccine in childhood. My grandma is 86 years old and has never ever been vaccinated and she is healthy as a horse except for her asthma. She’s only on one prescription for her breathing and she always refuses the flu shots.

Anyways, stand firm in what you choose and know that it is OK no matter what. You will have supporters on both sides no matter what you choose.

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 10:47 am
    1. thank you so much Brooke!!! I needed to hear this xo

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 1:04 pm
  8. I can’t believe the glucose testing! If you don’t eat sugar then there is absolutely no medical reason to have a glucose test, I’m convinced diabetes is caused by sugar intake NOT hereditary like they say. I don’t vaccinate either, just my 2 cents. Good for you for doing your own research, listening to your body, all that good stuff.

The new bathroom looks great so far! Looks like Gary’s been hard at work

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 11:10 am
    1. thanks! and yes he has done a great job with the bathroom! xo

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 1:04 pm
  9. Pregnancy is a good time to re-evaluate your views on health. The OGTT is a screen for diabetes (including gestational diabetes) and while HbA1c is a great screening test it doesn’t perform as well as the OGTT to predict diabetes.
    Feel free to read this: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/8/1648.long

Vaccines are controversial but not controversial in the medical community. Some infections are only toxic to unborn babies, which is why getting vaccines are crucial during pregnancy (ie rubella). Sadly there are rubella cases right now in the US from people who may or may not have been vaccinated, making pregnant women at higher risk for miscarriage or malformations. I say sad because this is preventable.

Not sure if this helps but at least some food for thought. I’d love to know what you think.

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 11:39 am
    1. thanks Janet, I will have to look at the articles. I am still taking everything in.

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 1:06 pm
      1. Awesome. I encourage you to discuss your concerns with your doc. With your PCOS, you are more complicated! You may find that the HbA1c will be low/normal because you have such a great diet but an OGTT will show how your body responds to a glucose overload and whether it is in the diabetic range.

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 2:23 pm
  10. hmmm definitely a hot button here. i used to work in diabetic research and the A1C is a cumulative and more representative approach i think to seeing truer values than spiking your blood glucose with that sugar bomb.so i agree with your thoughts about refusing the drink. the A1C is a summary basically of 3 months worth of BG readings so i’d definitely push for that! however, the dTaP i’m gonna disagree…this is why: http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/dear-parents-you-are-being-lied

there is a reason for vaccines, i don’t get a flu shot either but i DO get vaccinated or boosters for things: MMR, pertussis, tetanus because i work in healthcare. children are increasingly becoming very ill and some even dying bc of someone’s refusal to vaccinate. we just had a stint where i work where someone contracted measles and then they put US all at risk. i had to be quarantined because of someone else’s ‘choice’ bc i was exposed to them. #notahappycamper lol

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 1:06 pm
    1. thank you Melissa for the great link and tips!! thank you!!!

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 2:31 pm
  11. I just wanted to tell you that you look beautiful.

I don’t know anything about the glucose test, but I would be feeling the exact same thing you are without and for the same reasons.
    That being said, maybe since it is a one time deal, it won’t impact your skin/health negatively. You can plan not have any sugar for the rest of the day perhaps…

Or right after the test, have some fat/protein to bring you back into balance (?)

Whatever you choose…make the decision and then don’t think about it anymore.
    There’s not point in wracking your brain about it for too long once the decision has been made.

If you choose not to do it…the fact that many moons ago (haha) women didn’t need all these tests and shenanigans during pregnancy and somehow, they managed.

…All the best <3 (to both of you!)

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 2:55 pm
  12. As you know this is a topic I am struggling with right now as well. My biggest issue is with that toxic drink. If the test calls for 50 grams of glucose, I can get the same thing from 16 ounces of fresh squeezed OJ and half a banana on an empty stomach. However, after some research and talking to other moms it seems as though a glucometer over the course of a week, 4x per day, would be a more accurate measure. Then you can see how certain foods are and are not affecting blood sugar levels. The downfall, you have to do that 4x a day for a week. And maybe again a few weeks later. I am going to discuss both options with my doctor on Thursday. I will be 28 weeks tomorrow, and still haven’t scheduled my appointment. The nurse wasn’t much help over the phone, but she was sympathetic. Unfortunately there wasn’t much she could do when she spoke to the lab, they want my doctor to call them. I already laid out an outline to bring to him this week. If he wants me to take the test over the glucometer, I will agree if he agrees to allow me to eat real food. I do not think that this test will affect my overall in the long-term. I am all about moderation and I am sure there are times I am eating more than 50 grams of glucose in one sitting, not often, but it happens. My issue is the medical community giving out these highly toxic drinks to women who are/should be carefully monitoring their diets. Loaded with GMO’s,artificial dyes (which I know I am sensitive to, and void now with a history of migraines), carcinogen’s and so on. Again, one time may not make much of a difference but really, why can’t women drink REAL 100% fruit juice? Makes no sense. Who’s profiting? I am taking a stand for this hoping that things change. The more informed we become, the better. As for the vaccine, I have mixed feelings but am actually leaning towards getting it.

Best of luck to you!

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 3:49 pm
    1. thank you Laura I totally agree with you and I hope my doctor let’s me look at other ways of doing it. and agree I probably have had 50g before, not often but like you said it happens. I like the more natural foods route. I am leaning towards the vaccine too. Such hard decisions!

Posted on June 9, 2014 at 11:18 am
  13. I read an interesting post on the Food Babe blog about the glucose test drink and it has made me want to look more into it before I have to take the test myself in a few weeks!

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 4:48 pm
  14. I agree with sophie. It’s a one time thing. To worry so much about sugar consumption once time in a few years is verging on disordered thinking. It can’t possibly hurt you that much. I do think it’s totally fair to ask to read the ingredients, and use the best possible solution with the least other non-glucose chemicals. For a couple days before, to ensure test accuracy, it would probably be good to eat a little more carbs (sweet potatoes, potates, whatever). I think it’ll be the best thing to put your mind at ease and not have to ever worry about potentially missing something that could hurt your sweet little girl.

As for vaccines, to the best of my understanding there is absolutely no real evidence of them being harmful, and only evidence of the opposite. The fact is that horrible but preventable diseases are coming back, because parents are refusing to vaccinate kids.

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 5:33 pm
  15. From what I learned in vaccine development, DTap is one of the safest vaccines.
    To this day, I am still haunted from the images of infants with acute cases of Pertussis, and maternal vaccination helps prevent transmission from mom to baby. Definitely check with other health care providers if you feel like your doctor is not listening to your concerns.

You can also check out vaccine safety on the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, or read the CDC for summaries to get an understanding from people who have dedicated their life to public health research.

Being pregnant is hard, but you make it look easier with your awesome workouts:) I am so inspired by your pregnancy workouts.

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 6:29 pm
    1. thank you Emily, you’re too sweet! I will look into those that you mentioned, thank you!

Posted on June 9, 2014 at 11:19 am
  16. Lori -what do you put in your gelatin mush?

You look stunning & healthy!

Posted on June 4, 2014 at 2:55 am
    1. thank you! right now it just is coconut oil mixed with gelatin with some honey and my supplements

Posted on June 4, 2014 at 5:53 am
  17. I believe that here in the UK not everyone is asked to do a glucose test, it depends on your risk factors such as BMI and I think some ethnicities are more prone to it? I have to agree I don’t like the idea of taking all that sugar at once, it’s the kind of thing that could knock me off for days. Loving your bump, seems like you’ve really popped! I haven’t weighed myself at all since about week 8, but I know I’ve gained a decent amount, I’m just trying not to worry about it, I think we are all different after all and I’m certainly a more weight gain prone body type. On another note you’ve totally reminded me to buy more coconut for coconut butter making!

Posted on June 4, 2014 at 4:05 am
  18. all of this discussion is so interesting. i would definitely ask the doctor about a more natural version of the sugar drink. i’ve read/heard pregnant friends talk about how gross it is and how much they dislike the test. i would want to avoid it, too.

also, have you gained 4 lbs since your last doctor’s visit or since you became pregnant? a friend of mine is petite, too, and when she got pregnant, her doctor told her to gain 35 lbs during the pregnancy! it seemed like quite the demand, but she did it. she ignored her feeling full ques and would eat until really full. i can’t even imagine! did your doctor give you any guidelines like that, or is he more laid back with your weight gain? i find pregnancy so fascinating. thank you for sharing your journey with us 😉

Posted on June 4, 2014 at 1:24 pm
    1. right now laid back with weight gain since everything else is looking good. we shall see!

Posted on June 9, 2014 at 11:20 am
  19. My midwife allowed me to track my fasting and post-prandial blood glucose levels for a week, in lieu of the standard glucose tests. I have severe food allergies, and the standard stuff, and all of the usual options were not possible for me. It was much better for me and my kids (who also have crazy food allergies.)

Posted on June 5, 2014 at 5:41 pm
    1. thanks Heather! good to know you were able to do something different

Posted on June 9, 2014 at 11:21 am
  20. Eat look delicious as usual!

Per the glucose test, it’s a one time test that can benefit your baby in the end so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Per the vaccines, that’s a personal choice. But PLEASE, do not forgo the vaccines b/c of “autism”. As a neuroscientist who studied and worked with autistic children, I can’t tell you how much it frustrated me that parents thought their kid had autism b/c of vaccinations. These misconceptions are based on the article published in the Lancet years back. The journal rescinded the article after discovering the data had been made up. Of course, by this time, celebrities like Jenny McCarthy were already claiming that this is why their child has autism. Moms everywhere, desperate for an answer (and rightly so), jumped on board too. There have been NO studies successfully linking ASD to vaccinations. ASD, like every other psychological/developmental disorder, is a combination of a genotype and environmental trigger to cause the phenotype. Just my 2 cents. Again, get the vaccine or don’t, but don’t base the decision off of the ASD misconception! 🙂

Posted on June 6, 2014 at 2:49 pm
    1. thanks Amanda for sharing your thoughts, so much to think about

Posted on June 9, 2014 at 11:22 am
  21. You look so lovely!!

All of these “pro” vaccine comments are (surpise surprise) from healthcare workers who push this crap just because it was in their syllabus for one semester. You are a smart girl so take all of these comments with a grain of salt. It is not disordered thinking to want to avoid toxic glucose drinks, what is disordered thinking is ingesting anything into your body because you were told to do so.

Multiple vaccines given to a child at once cause autism and the mercury alone is enough to scare you off. Not to mention the fact that vaccines can in some cases cause the very disease they are trying to prevent (whooping cough, pertussis, in my case)

So keep doing your research my dear, and don’t listen to the healthcare blabber gabber!

Posted on June 7, 2014 at 12:02 pm
    1. thank you Dana!! xoxo

Posted on June 9, 2014 at 11:23 am
  22. Lori you look stunning and hope you are doing good with those workouts. Those photos are great and challenging keep it coming its great

Posted on June 10, 2014 at 6:00 am
  23. I just wanted to leave a comment about the vaccines. I’m surprised by all the pro-vaccine comments on this blog. I’m more of the person who believes God made us whole as we are and that we do not need man-made inventions to survive, but I understand that some children have very poor immune systems and cannot beat childhood diseases like chickenpox and measles and mumps. They need vaccines to make it to adulthood. However, most kids can handle the childhood diseases just fine. That’s the issue with vaccination – what are we protecting ourselves from? The death rate or disease rate? The death rate went down without vaccines. The disease rate went down because of vaccines and proper hygiene. Getting the disease itself isn’t a problem as long as your body can fight it….same argument goes with vaccines. It’s the parent’s decision on what they want their child’s body to fight – the disease or vaccine. Vaccine implies limited immunity whereas the disease implies lifetime immunity.

Also, the diseases that are “coming back because of people not vaccinating” are affecting kids who are vaccinated. For example – my friend has 3 kids. Her oldest will be 8 years old and she got whooping cough two years ago along with her middle child who was 2 at the time. Her kids get every single vaccine the doctor recommends except for the flu shot (I’m not sure why my friend refuses the flu shot for her kids and not the others…).

On another note, my other friend’s father got paralyzed from polio that he got from the polio vaccine. Granted this was over 50 years ago, but side effects still exist. The CDC just released a report last year admitting the SV40 virus that causes cancer was in vaccines in the fifties (and early sixties, I think). Who says the same thing can’t happen now? They use aborted fetal tissue in some of the vaccines and what if that fetal tissue is diseased?

I think the breakdown of trust in vaccines is just a symptom of everything else though. It’s so hard to believe anything we are told anymore so whether vaccines deserve it or not, they are getting the skeptic treatment. It’s up to the scientific community to prove to us they work and it’s getting harder and harder to do that….especially when science gets it wrong so many times (how often do you read that coffee is bad for you and then the next day it’s good for you? Modern scientists can’t even agree on that!).

Posted on June 10, 2014 at 12:12 pm
    1. thanks Brooke for sharing, so many sides on vaccines! I wish it was more easy to understand so we can all make better decisions. It is such a confusing topic.

Posted on June 10, 2014 at 12:14 pm
  24. Please understand that the reason all the “healthcare” workers leave messages about vaccinating because we live the consequences. We take care of these little guys who have no protection and are left to fend for themselves. Have you ever seen a a 3-month old with pertussis? One who turns blue from the coughing fits that last for minutes? Or how about one who is neurologically devastated from meningitis? It’s a battle that we fight in the hospital day in and day out. Find a source from a true medically researched area that shows a danger to vaccines and then make your decision. You are caring for this child for nine months, and then bringing them into a dangerous world, why would you forgo the chance to protect them and give them every fighting chance? Healthcare workers shouldn’t be pro-vaccine, less disease means less work, right? Well, we are pro-vaccine because we are pro-children.

Posted on June 29, 2014 at 7:51 am