Blueberry muffins are probably one of our favorites. We won’t turn down a pumpkin muffin but for some reason we adore blueberry muffins. Speaking of muffins Michelle can remember back when we were in high school we had this volleyball tournament out of town. The hotel offered blueberry muffins at breakfast. And still to this day Michelle can picture those blueberry muffins.
Now you might be thinking why are we talking about muffins when the recipe is a cake. Well, overtime we have come to realize that we prefer cakes over muffins. Therefore, we took our favorite muffin and made it into cute little individual cakes using a bundt pan.
And since blueberries are coming into season we thought this would be the perfect spring/summer treat.
How to make a healthy grain-free egg-free blueberry streusel cake the right way.
Or should we say purely twins way!
Something we always debate over here is a bundt cake considered to be enjoyed for breakfast/brunch or as dessert?
You know because it’s a cake but they don’t always have a rich creamy frosting like a cupcake. But it’s still sweet like a cupcake, but you can enjoy them at breakfast. Where it is frowned upon eating cupcakes for breakfast. Not saying that we have done that or anything
You know we adore our flourless cakes! And using plantains as our ‘flour’!
This cake is grain-free gluten-free vegan dairy-free soy-free and paleo friendly. And pretty low in sugar!
PIN this IMAGE to make later
This blueberry streusel cake is made from just a few ingredients.
Most of them you might have in your kitchen since we know you are like us and always have plantains on hand We are thinking of investing in a plantain farm since we eat them everyday. Wish we could grow them ourselves!! Guess we need to move.
We find this recipe to be easy on the gut and digestion as the ingredients are all natural. This cake is full of healthy fats from coconut oil and tahini and made from a safe starch that most people can handle. This recipe is also great for keeping your skin glowing as blueberries are full of antioxidants and low in sugar.
This is a very moist dense bundt cake filled with blueberries topped with a delicious nutty cinnamon streusel. How could you go wrong? Oh wait… there’s no frosting. That’s okay as this cake doesn’t need it! Promise.
For some substitution ideas:
You can replace the almonds for the streusel with any nut or seed (or even oat flour).
You can replace the coconut with any oil or butter of choice. And replace the coconut buttermilk with almond or hemp milk (and use for your buttermilk).
For the tahini we suggest using cashew or almond butter.
For the plantains this is a tough one, you could try using not too ripe bananas. Bananas that are more little green/yellow like.
Here is how to make this amazing grain-free egg-free blueberry streusel cake.
grain free gluten free blueberry streusel cake
Delicious and healthy grain-free gluten-free vegan paleo friendly blueberry streusel cake. Perfect dense and moist cake that will please a crowd. The streusel on top is the perfect flavorful crunchy to match the smooth rich cake bursting with blueberries.
- 2 large yellow with a few black spots plantain ( 14oz after being peeled)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, liquid (2oz)
- 1/4 cup tahini ( 2 1/4oz)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup or more of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 4 tablespoons almond meal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make buttermilk by taking one cup of coconut milk mixing with 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and let set for 10 minutes.
- Peel plantain.
- Place plantain, tahini, maple syrup, baking soda, baking powder and vanilla into food processor or Vitamix blender.
- Next add in coconut oil and buttermilk.
- Continue blend until smooth.
- Pour into a large bowl to hand stir blueberries.
- Make streusel topping. Place all streusel ingredients into a bowl and combine together.
- Lightly grease baking dish. We used 6 mini bundt cake pans. You could use muffin pan or 8 inch pan.
- Pour cake batter into baking dish of choice.
- Top with streusel.
- Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Remove from pan and enjoy warm.
All rights reserved to Purelytwins.com
Are you ready for some tea or coffee served with this blueberry streusel cake?
CLICK TO TWEET —> how to make #grainfree #eggfree #gf blueberry streusel cake with real ingredients via @purelytwins
Disclosure: In order to support our blogging activities, we may receive monetary compensation for our recommendations and/or links to any products from this blog. Please note, we only endorse products that are in alignment with Purely Twins values and we believe would benefit of our readers. Some post may have affiliate links, which means if you buy something through these links, Purely Twins gets a small percentage at no extra cost to you. We appreciate the support as it helps keep Purely Twins going!