You know when you are in that mood for something a little smoky…salty…crispy?
Anyone else enjoy a mouth full of bbq chips?
Well, today we are sharing our newest plantain eating obsession — bbq chips!
Healthy baked homemade plantain BBQ chips.
We thought of this idea a few weeks ago. We were about to make up some of our original plantain chips and decided we needed to jazz them up some. BBQ came to mind
No need to run the store for chips, you can easily make a fresh batch of bbq chips homemade. But with the right seasoning and the right base, right?
think know you’ll be hooked with our version of bbq chips!
Now we don’t have anything against a good old white potato, just why not use a plantain? Right?! Only seems logical.
After you enjoy these you won’t be able to stand the taste of regular, generic store bought bbq chips, haha okay maybe we are pushing the line a little, but for us these hit the spot. Addicting little things too.
So the next time you crave chips, do yourself a favor and make these BBQ plantain chips. Perfect to serve these bbq chips with this burger.
They taste best fresh, warm out of the oven. And depending on how thick or thin you slice your plantain will determine the overall crispness. Though be careful not to cut too thin that your plantain chips end up being burnt. Not that we did that once or twice before or anything. Just saying… be careful.
Though Michelle likes a little burnt food sometimes so she happily ate those.
We bet they taste even better with a good burger, maybe served with a sandwich….and to top it off wash down these chips with a nice cool creamy cocktail. Delicious.
Here is how we made our plantain BBQ chips baked and homemade.
Healthy homemade baked bbq chips made from plantains. Perfect side dish to a meal or a snack.
- 1 large plantain
- *1 tablespoon liquid, coconut oil
BBQ spice mix
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mesquite (optional but provides nice smoky flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar
- pinch garlic powder
- pinch sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel plantain.
- Slice into thin slices. Again depending on how thin you cut will determine final crispness. And you may or may not get some burnt ones if sliced little too thin, but Michelle likes burnt things so enjoyed them .
- Once plantain is all sliced toss in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine smoked paprika, chili powder, mesquite, coconut sugar, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper. Mix together.
- Melt coconut oil.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon coconut oil over cut plantain.
- And sprinkle plantain with bbq mix. Use it all.
- Toss plantain with bbq mix so it all gets coated.
- Place coated plantains on a baking sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes and flip chips.
- Bake another 10-15 minutes or under desired crispness is achieved.
- Enjoy warm.
All rights reserved to Purelytwins.com
BBQ chips never tasted so good
Do you like bbq chips? Do you like making your own chips?
Disclosure: In order to support our blogging activities, we may receive monetary compensation for our recommendations and/or links to any products from this blog. Please note, we only endorse products that are in alignment with Purely Twins values and we believe would benefit of our readers. Some post may have affiliate links, which means if you buy something through these links, Purely Twins gets a small percentage at no extra cost to you. We appreciate the support as it helps keep Purely Twins going!