Stop comparing myself to others

Hey luvs,

It has been awhile since I did a Finding Me post.

I am trying my best to do these from time to time.

I have a few things I wanted to get off my chest ;)

In the midst of all my traveling I had a few moments to stop and think while sitting on a plane and driving for hours in a car.

i have to remind myself that i dont have to do what everyone else is doing

During this times of thinking, I noticed myself comparing myself to others.

Whether it was comparing their bodies, their success, their lives, their opportunities, their happiness, etc. I started to not like myself.

Wait. I thought she promoted about being yourself and loving who you are.

I do! I am a lot better in terms of self-confidence than I was years ago.

who do girls bring girls down

Sorry I now I have shared this photo before on my previous finding me post, but felt it was worth sharing again. As why do I do this to myself? Why do I let others affect me?

It’s silly really as I have control on my happiness. Yet it can be easily taken away.

So maybe my self-confidence isn’t that great? Maybe it is? Being aware of these thoughts of comparison may not be all my fault as everyday I am (and you) exposed to so many things. It’s confusing because you see….”if you want to be successful, do this” “if you want to be happy, do this” and if you don’t do those things you can kind of feel like a failure. Then you see pictures of others and you want to look like them or desire what they have, but really why? I am unique just as I am. I have my own happiness and success, and so do you!

I am going to focus on being a better person than I was the day before and use comparing just as merely observation. Focus on making an improved version of me.  Remember we are neither better than nor less than anyone on this earth, we are just us.

I am just me. And you are you!

[Tweet “It doesn’t matter what others are doing. It only matters what I am doing.”]

I did not really set any personally goals this new year, but do feel this is one thing I will actively work on.

Stop comparing!

I know it’s going to be difficult but surrounding myself with those that support me has been so beneficial. I have grown into the women that I want to become. Sure I still have my flaws and issues to deal with, but the bigger picture is I am truly happy with my life. And all I want is for others to truly be HAPPY with their own life.

Together let’s stop the comparing and do more supporting :)

Do you struggle with comparing yourself to others? How do you overcome it?

For me, I start to say things I am grateful for, things I am looking forward to doing, things I have already accomplished.

stop comparing

Remember you are great just as you are that you do not need to compare yourself to others. Focus on being you! Be purely you!

[Tweet “You are you and no one else can be you! #bepurelyyou”]

1. Brooke says

The internet is such an amazing vehicle for so many things, specifically pertaining to health and fitness (that is what I use it most for at least!). However, with so much out there, I do find it very difficult not to compare myself to other amazingly fit and fabulous women. I completely agree with your thoughts and hope that one day I can be happy being the best I can be without comparisons. It is quite hard but recognizing it and trying to work at it is a first step, I suppose?!

2. says

such a wonderful post, sis! I LOVE IT! I am all about this, too! TOTALLY get caught up in this. Maybe not even about the physical stuff, but successes in other peoples lives like you mentioned, too, but i always remind myself to surround myself with the people who bring me up, get out of my head, and look at all that i have accomplished throughout my life – big or small – so that’s why i do HFF every week :)

3. says

Thanks! I needed to hear this today! This is especially with blogs and social media always showing images of happy healthy fashionable successful people and conveniently glossing over the times when they have a bad hair day or eat an entire sleeve of girl scout cookies or hang out in sweats watching TV. There are so many good things in life, and appreciate what you have instead of constantly wishing for something different.
    Colleen recently posted..A Year of GrowthMy Profile

4. says

I try not to compare myself to others physically, but I DO compare myself when it comes to other things. Like if I “only” work out 4 times a week and I see others working out 6 or 7. I just remind myself that I am doing the best I can do. :)
    Maureen recently posted..Finally FridayMy Profile

5. says

I think we all get caught in this trap every now and again. We just have to remind ourselves that we’re all individuals, all different, and that while its ok to be MOTIVATED by what others are doing, its ok to do it our own darn way :)

6. says

You raised two interesting points that I’ve had floating around my head for a while: 1) why are girls so darn mean to each other? and 2) reminding myself that I’m doing my own awesome things, and that they might be different than what others are doing.

This is the third post about comparison I’ve read this week, and I was going to write a response to one of the ones I’ve read, so I’m glad I saw this take on the topic as well.

Personally, I have found that comparison can be good OR bad, but it depends on your state of being. At this time last year, comparison was very bad for me — at least comparison of my body to somebody else’s body. Now? Comparison is a good thing. I don’t look at somebody and think “Oh they’re fat / thin / fit.” I think “that person must work hard / not work hard” and then evaluate if I want to be or can be at a similar level, and how much work it would take to get there, and if I’m willing to do that (or moreover, if it’s healthy for me to do that).

I have gotten into trouble lately with comparing what I’m doing (professionally and hobby-wise) with what others are doing. Amanda (semi-health nut) reminded me that even though I’m not able to do the things I want to do (I want to put more time into my blog and other hobbies), I am instead doing a lot of other cool things that other people wish they were able to do right now (grad school, doing a radio show, making art). I think that situation is why I especially love the first graphic you chose for this post.

RE: mean girls

What I wanted to write about, but ultimately decided against posting, was a group of mean girls that are at my gym frequently. I am using the university gym, and since the beginning of the year a sorority has been going as a group at the same time I go. The girls are not only mean to others (and seriously inconsiderate … nobody puts back any equipment, and they walk around the track 5+ girls in a row), they are constantly commenting on others. I noticed this because by the end of the day (which culminates in my time at the gym) my phone typically dies, so I’m at the gym with headphones on but no music. I overheard them talking about how big my butt was and how I shouldn’t be wearing yoga pants. I was jogging around the track, so naturally I did the adult thing and farted while slowing down in front of them (super mature). I really wanted to turn around and say something to them, but I know from being around mean girls (and being a former mean girl myself) that would have only fueled their meanness. So I passive-aggressively passed gas instead.
    Calee recently posted..Only one.My Profile

• says

Oh yes we agree that comparison can be good or bad. We thing comparing (in a good way) can be positive in terms of making ourselves work harder at something. A little motivation in a way. But yes there are sometimes bad comparisons where things go too far. And that we all need to remember that we are all different :)

And sorry about those mean girls at your gym!! But we think you handled it nicely :)

7. says

I DO NOT and WILL NOT EVER compare myself to other people. When I was younger I did it, and it truly hurt me. But I can CONFIDENTLY SAY that I love myself. Everyone is set out to accomplish some different, so what’s the point of comparing yourself to anyone else?

GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..Rachel Ray Better Watch Her BackMy Profile

• says

so happy to hear it Gigi!! yay for no comparing and doing own thing :) you are so right we are all completely unique and that’s what I love. I will always be myself :) xoxo

8. Amy Grant says

Do you two as twins compare each other, for example who is more fit? Do you do exercise at the same time or do you not care if one of you is doing exercise and the other isnt?