Before we left town we baked these wonderful soft rich chocolate donuts made with chia seeds and hemp protein. What is it about baking donuts that just makes us so happy?
Our niece loves donuts. Really our whole family loves just about any baked good, especially homemade ones. So we are excited to bake lots of donuts around here while being home. Maybe even some pancakes, as we all love those too! Though can’t go wrong with either one in our opinion.
Baked grain-free vegan chocolate chia seed pumpkin glaze protein donuts.
We took our chocolate mint cake donuts and made them out of chia seeds instead of flax meal. And added in hemp protein powder instead of the brown rice flour. And it worked!
Moist, soft cake-like donuts!
These baked vegan donuts are still a little delicate when first out of the oven. It is best to let them cool for at about 5 minutes before popping them out of donut pan (or whatever pan you are using).
These chocolate protein donuts have a soft crumb to them.
With using the hemp protein and chia seeds does provide a more earthy kind of flavor with a rich chocolate touch. Add in the sweet pumpkin glaze makes the donuts complete.
We use this hemp protein powder.
In our recipes we make our own buttermilk with taking canned coconut milk and adding in about 1 1/2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Stir and then it’s ready for recipe making. We prefer the canned coconut milks in our recipes as there is less ingredients in them. And we find the texture to be better.
Since these baked donuts are made from chia seeds and hemp protein that makes them packed with nutrition. Feel good ingredients in these donuts. Plus cacao is a great source of antioxidants.
Nothing wrong with having a deliciously soft baked chocolate donut filled with protein and fiber that is free of eggs, gluten and grains.
To make the chia seed flour in the recipe we just took whole chia seeds and ground them into flour using a coffee grinder.
We hope you enjoy our donuts as much as we did.
As they get cold they become very sturdy. Perfect for topping with a simple pumpkin glaze to complete the donut experience.
Chocolate chia donuts with pumpkin glaze (vegan, grain-free)
Healthy protein and fiber packed chocolate vegan donuts with pumpkin glaze.
- For the donuts:
- 1/2 cup hemp protein powder (2oz)
- 5 tablespoons chia seed flour (1 1/4oz)
- 5 tablespoons cacao powder (cocoa) (1 1/4oz)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar (or sugar of your liking)
- 6 tablespoons pumpkin puree (3oz)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, liquid (2oz)
- 6 tablespoons coconut milk buttermilk (3oz)
- For the pumpkin glaze:
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter (or butter of choice)
- Place all dry ingredients into bowl and stir together.
- Make sure all wet ingredients are at room temperature.
- Add in pumpkin puree and coconut oil to dry ingredients. Stir.
- End with stirring in coconut milk.
- Stir to well combined.
- Scoop donut batter into donut pan (lightly grease with coconut oil).
- Makes 6 large donuts.
- Bake donuts at 350 degree for about 15-16 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for a few minutes before taking out of pan.
- *if you do not have a donut pan you may use a muffin pan or mini bundt cake pan.
- As donuts are cooling make pumpkin glaze.
- In a bowl add in butter, vanilla and pumpkin puree.
- Add in confectioner sugar.
- Continue to mix.
- Drizzle or dip donuts into pumpkin glaze.
- Serving – 6 donuts
All rights reserved to Purelytwins.com
Perfect for making Thanksgiving morning, right? We think so
I want some of these chocolate protein pumpkin glazed donuts via @purelytwins #glutenfree #vegan CLICK TO TWEET
Twins question: What are you having Thanksgiving morning? Making anything special?
Now after we kicked your butt, helped with stuffing, shared tips to stay happy and healthy during holidays… now we’ve got you covered for breakfast.
be passionate and fit
Disclosure: In order to support our blogging activities, we may receive monetary compensation for our recommendations and/or links to any products from this blog. Please note, we only endorse products that are in alignment with Purely Twins values and we believe would benefit of our readers. Some post may have affiliate links, which means if you buy something through these links, Purely Twins gets a small percentage at no extra cost to you. We appreciate the support as it helps keep Purely Twins going!