easy grain and gluten free bread recipe

The easiest grain-free gluten-free bread made from 2 ingredients!

plantain bread

Howdy luvs,

When looking back we realized we never really did a formal recipe post for our beloved plantain bread. Gasp!! Also please note we are NOT paleo, we have mentioned that many times. NO food labels here.  We feel this BREAD recipe is really for anyone to make and enjoy!

okay enough of that…moving on

So many of you have been making it and writing to us how much you are in love with it. How it is your go-to bread recipe now —> we love hearing that! Always brings a smile to our faces when we hear about you guys loving our plantain bread. Love the plantain LOVE spreading around too. Make sure to check out why we eat plantains.

So in honor of the worlds easiest grain-free bread we are finally giving a formal recipe along with some other plantain bread ideas.

Grain-free gluten-free paleo bread perfect for sandwiches.

best grain free plantain bread

This bread recipe could not be any easier. It really started with our accidental 3 ingredient breakfast cake (as we like to call it).  Once we made that we realized that it would make for a simple bread recipe too! Ta-da!

Our plantain bread was born.

Enjoy!

See a video of how to make the bread here.

grain free gluten free bread

What is it about this bread that is just so darn addicting?

Seriously you don’t need regular old white sandwich bread. Nope. Not when there is plantain bread!! And you can make bacon avocado sandwiches. Okay we are a little bias, but really if you are looking for that bread-like craving. You need to make this… if you haven’t already!

Perfect for adding in fresh fruit for some natural sweetness to create a more sweet bread… like our peach bread and raspberry bread.

If you’re looking for vegan (egg-free) version check out our two recipes: plantain socca and our updated plantain socca recipe.

We love using plantains in our recipes from cookies to banana bread to bread pudding to pancakes. More to come!!!

easiest grain-free plantain bread

easiest grain-free plantain bread

Ingredients

• about 7-8oz of plantains, peeled (any ripeness will work)
  • 2 whole eggs (could do egg whites if you would like)
  • *may add in 1 tablespoon coconut oil to batter or cook bread in it

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Peel plantain.
  3. Place in blender or food processor.
  4. Add in eggs. Or add in coconut oil, or place oil in pan. Either way the bread will come out.
  5. Blend until smooth and creamy.
  6. Bake bread for 15-18 minutes.

More ideas to do with your plantain bread:

• add in some tahini or almond butter
  • add in some pumpkin, check out what Christa made here (vegan too)
  • add in some protein powder
  • add in some cocoa

Love seeing what Kasey made, Debbie created, and Laura did…all are amazing recipes.  And if you use different size pans will result in different thickness of the bread. If you do more or less eggs, or use egg white will all produce slightly different textures. But this grain-free bread is a great base to start with!

Have fun, go wild with plantains hehe

Twins question: What would you like to see next with us using plantains?

#bepurelyyou

be passionate and fit

L&M

Purely Fitters: We have a post-workout meal ideas post coming soon to the member area under the meal ideas tab. Also more warm-up and cool-downs coming soon. Keep up the great work.  Already love hearing all your comments about the first workout the moving ladder!! Great job purely fitters.

Hopefully we will see YOU in the member area :) Find out more about our home fitness program here.

cuteline3-01

Love seeing you guys enjoying plantains as much as we do!

plantain love

plantain world

more plantain lovers

plantain bread love

So happy to see plantain bread becoming your top choice for BREAD!! Who needs regular bread when you have easy plantain bread, right? haha

;)

Keep up the amazing plantain creations guys. We love seeing how you are enjoying plantains!!

Comments

1. Kathleen says

I am Dominican. I would never think to use plantain in such creative ways . I am very intrigued. I too am working on healing my gut. I am going to make this bread. I recently purchased Julian’s coconut paleo bread and not really a fan. This looks great for a sandwich. This dominican loves me some platanos.

2. Odelya says

Hello, i tried to bak this bread and it turned out almost as point as a pancake – any suggestions how to make it more bread like?
    blessings,
    Odelya

• purelytwins says

Odelya well it won’t ever be just like bread as it has no yeast, plus only made from 2 ingredients. You could try do 3 eggs or try adding in some baking powder. Hope this helps.

3. kazy says

This bread looks great. However, I was told by my doctor to keep away from bananas and grapes as they have a high sugar spike. She said bananas are too starchy, so I am curious, how many carbs are int his bread?

• says

we usually bake ours in a small bread loaf or a 6 inch circle. Smaller pans make it more thick slices, you can do in 7 or 8 inch pan and it will just be a little thinner.

4. Deb says

I just tried making the basic plantain bread last night – yum yum yum! I love that it’s sort of sweet, has a great texture. Even my skeptic hubby and finicky MIL like it! Can’t wait to try out some of the excellent add-in ideas (please list more, this is a great recipe to expand on!). I’ll also try it out in different pans to try out different thicknesses/baking times. Thank you for this yumminess!

5. Melissa says

I have tried to make this bread twice but have failed both times. The first time I used too many plaintains so I cut it back by one this time. I thought that would fix it but it’s crumbling pretty bad, not spongy like it appears in your photo. Also mine seems to have a greenish tan color vs a creamy white color. I really want it to come out right!! Any suggestions??

6. Caitlin says

Hi there! Just wondering if you’ve tried making the bread without eggs? (i.e. with chia/flax instead) I’m allergic to eggs!!
    Thanks! =D

7. Karina says

Hey there. Tried this recipe 3 times. The outside seems to cook really well but the inside is always mushy. I tried using 1 egg the last time and it was even more mushy! Any suggestions?

8. samantha says

Ok i just baked this and mine turned out blackish green?? not white and fluffy like the picture. It taste ok kinda lol. What did i do wrong? i doubled the recipe because.i had a larger bread.pan. i used two green plantains, two tablespoons coconut oil and four eggs. Also a teaspoon of baking soda. The consistency is bread like the color is just wierd.

9. Ana says

Girl, I made this today and it is incredible! Ahh, I added 1/2 tsp baking powder to mine and it turned out with amazing texture, I am in love!
    Only thing is that I was looking for something more savory, but with the warm weather my plantain ripened quite fast and my bread was super sweet, lol!
    If I use a very green plantain, will the bread be more savory?
    Thanks for the delicious recipes, I love your blog!
    Ana

• says

yes a green plantain will be more savory not really that sweet. you can make bread and freeze it if needed. glad you liked the recipe!! it’s a favorite of ours

10. Dominique says

Just wondering, which kind of pan do you recommend using? A bread loaf pan? A square pan? a small square casserole dish?

Thanks!

11. connie says

I made this bread tonight and the color looked great but when I cut it in half it had little brown spots throughout and wassnt a uniform color like yours pictured. I’m wondering why this happened since I followed recipe exactly?

• connie says

The plantain was yellow with a few spots and I used 1/2ts of baking powder and 1/4ts baking soda. I want to avoid the socks in the bread since my daughter doesn’t like anything that looks strange.

• says

Connie it is still fine to eat, just sometimes baking powder and soda can alter the color. Maybe try adding in a 1 tbsp coconut flour and omit the powder and soda to help with texture.

12. Janet says

Yuck. This “bread” is disgusting. Would rather go without. Sorry. Can’t figure out what all the hubbub is about this, but each to their own. Just my opinion. Perfect Paleo Pancakes are much better with the plantain and can be used similarly. Sweet or savory. I may give it one more chance with ripe plantains. And why is it GREEN?

13. Nafise says

maybe i used sweet plantains or maybe to much coconut oil, so it turn sweet and smells eggs! Is not normal, right?

Trackbacks

1. […] batch of cashew butter + almond butter* morning glory muffins (recipe up soon)* plantain bread* kale + brussel sprout salad (this was AMAZING!!)* salmon salad* cabbage and veggie salad* mung […]

2. […] of nut butter  -sunflower seed and almond pecan – some butternut squash soup (similar), more plantain bread (totally addicted), and some pumpkin chili! be on the lookout for the chili recipe this […]

3. […] prep: sweet potato cubes, brown rice, broccoli slaw (recipe to come), morning glory muffins, and plantain bread. once my tummy was happy, the workout bud and i headed to the gym. can i just say that regular […]