Hey luvs,

Today’s Purely Talk is a fun topic for us.

Actually we are honored people have asked us how we’ve learned to do headstands and handstands, as we are not really that good at them.  But today we are sharing how we practice doing them to get better at them over time.

how to do a headstand

purely talk-01

How did we learn to do a headstand?

Practice. Practice. Practice.

And encouragement from the other twin –> we both needed help getting over the “fear” of falling.

how to do a handstand

Once we got over that fear… we are now addicted to practicing them daily!

Headstands and headstands do take a lot focus and strength.

how to do a headstand and handstands

We still have a long way to go with our headstands, but the more we practice the more we become more comfortable with them.

We hope you guys enjoy our little video where we share how we learned to do headstands and handstands.

We love doing handstands.  We really ENJOY them. We have so much fun doing them.

They are challenging. They can be intimating.

handstand

But you must try doing them and here is why —>

13 reasons why we do handstands and headstands:

• really are good for you – so do them
  • help strengthen upper body and core
  • help with self confidence
  • feel better afterwards —> boost mood
  • great to work core strength
  • increase balance
  • improves circulation
  • stimulates and provide refreshed blood to the pituitary and hypothalamus glands
  • helps metabolism
  • increases digestive fire
  • increase nutrients and blood flow to the scalp
  • great way to impress your friends
  • and they are FUN

headstand

We started learning to do headstands first. Once we got comfortable doing them we decided to start playing around with handstands and still doing some other forearm stands. All of them are challenging but fun to try out.

If you want to learn to how do a headstand or handstand the biggest advice we can give is…

DO IT.

Practice up against your bed. Practice going up on a wall. Then slowly over time you can move away from the wall.

handstand bent legs

To be honest for us we just started to doing them. We did not really follow any other steps than what we mentioned in the video. We do feel doing all of our planks and other core work has helped us with our headstands.

lori doing headstand

We try to do them everyday after our workouts. We’ve been doing this for a few months now, and still have a long ways to go. But we are so proud of what we can do. There were days when we got frustrated, but we never gave up.

Check out these other great videos about how to do a headstand and handstands:

Our friend Jen did a post about tripod headstands

Fitsugar did a great article about learning how to do a handstand.

Shape also did a great video on how to do handstand pose.

With anything — take it slow. Don’t rush the process. Enjoy the ride of doing a headstand or handstand. Always honor and listen to your body. And just have fun with it.

Twins question: Do you practice doing handstands or headstands? Do you find one way easier than the other? Any tips to on how to do one for beginners?

#bepurelyyou

be passionate and fit, xoxo

L&M

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

17 thoughts on “13 reasons why to do headstands and how we practice them

1. I love handstands (not so much headstands)! I was a gymnast and then later taught gymnastics for a few years so definitely something I appreciate. One way that I slowly get my boot campers into trying them is to turn with your back to the wall, and slowly walk your feet up. Just getting used to having your head in a declined position but giving the comfort of the wall is nice. Even if they only walk up a few feet. Slowly, walk up more and more until you’re totally up.

Right now, I’m working on forearm handstands. Loving it!

Posted on September 26, 2013 at 10:51 am
    1. oh yes great tips Taylor 🙂
      and we need to practice our forearm handstands more, that is next!

Posted on September 26, 2013 at 11:12 am
    2. the best advice I got when learning headstand was from my current yoga instructor. she said just try to get hips over your head, don’t rush to extend your legs yet. be comfortable doing this stage first-and now I LOVE headstand and do it everyday-for the rush if nothing else. I love it when my son says, “if you can get off your head long enough”…

Posted on October 10, 2013 at 6:23 pm
  2. YOU two ladies rock! Nice job on the headstands and I’m drooling over that plantain fig bread pudding. Are you kidding me? YUM!!!!

Posted on September 26, 2013 at 8:19 pm
    1. 🙂 we need to get together for plantain breakfast 🙂

Posted on September 26, 2013 at 8:59 pm
  3. i feel in a handstand on my back in the middle of yoga class. But i did it! and i am keep trying. It really is worth it. I so agree!

Posted on September 26, 2013 at 9:56 pm
  4. Yay, I’m so glad you girls can do it 🙂 I remember reading way back when you guys were just starting out.
    Thanks for sharing this. I’ve just started to practice these and love the advice you guys gave…

Posted on September 27, 2013 at 12:34 am
  5. As always, you girls are an inspiration! I’m looking to crank up what I do with my yoga practise, and handstands are my next ‘mission’! I go through phases of trying, then giving up, then trying again… this is prompting another try! (hopefully without the giving up this time 😉

Posted on September 27, 2013 at 8:18 am
  6. I’ve always wanted to learn how to do a handstand, so this a perfect tutorial for me! Thanks so much for sharing!

Posted on September 27, 2013 at 11:43 am
  7. i love inversions but i am so afraid to try a handstand! the closest i’ve ever gotten was doing dolphin pose but with my legs up against a wall so that my body looked like an upside-down L (if you can picture that). i think fear is the #1 thing holding me back!

Posted on September 27, 2013 at 3:05 pm
  8. Ooo I can do handstands for a few seconds, but I’m still more comfortable doing them by a wall. Headstands on the other hand, are still a work in progress, but you ladies are inspiring me to practice more! 🙂

Posted on September 27, 2013 at 9:14 pm
  9. I think the most important thing to remember with headstands is that in a supported headstand like you’re demonstrating, your weight should NEVER fully be on your head – the overwhelming majority of the weight should be in your arms or you risk neck injury over time. My ashtanga teacher used to say you should be able to slip a piece of paper under your head when you’re in a headstand.

Also, your elbows should be shoulder-width apart for better balance and stability – the best way to do this is to grab opposite elbows, then not move your arms and form the cup for the back of your head.

Great post! 🙂

Posted on September 28, 2013 at 11:30 pm
  10. I have been practicing yoga for around 6 years and just recently was successful in doing a headstand in the middle of the room. I was shocked at first when I got up. I find its easier to kick up so that my knees are tucked into
    My chest. I wait there a little and stabilize before straightening my legs fully. I try and invert 4 or 5 times a week

Posted on October 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm
    1. awesome Helen 🙂

Posted on October 10, 2013 at 3:36 pm
  11. Hi again Purelytwins! I’m 22 and have also been practicing yoga for 6 years and just a couple months ago also got interested in practicing and mastering handstands and forearm headstands (Which is crazy! We are always doing and learning things at very similiar times and I swear I don’t know that you guys are doing it until I come back to catch up on your posts, so strange and awesome!) First, I highly recommend having a good core strengthening practice every day before practicing these stands. I also do L-stands on a wall every day before practicing these hand and headstands, these are highly recommended as it gets you used to the feeling of being upside down and building the crucial upper body strength that you’ll need, if you have great core strength and upper body strength doing handstands and headstands will be a peice of cake. When you are first beginning it’s important to take your time, step by step, master one step in your progress then move forward, you may suprise yourself how quickly you master these steps by knowing your boundaries and not pushing for instant results, just take it easy and give yourself time to adjust and know when enough is enough. I love the feeling of taking steps day by day with no expectations on myself, sometimes when I miss a couple of days in a row I know that I’ll have to take a few steps back and work back up in my progress but I fully accept it, it’s like a reward system for yourself because you accept your boundaries instead of making yourself into a failure for not getting it done to your expectations in time, you will find great pleasure in looking forward to your progress every day, getting better at something is fun and growth is a gift. Another thing I found to be important is when you are in handstand preparation, focus your gaze slightly forward instead of looking at the ground directly under you when your kicking up, it helps you to get over that “hill” when reaching the top of the stand. I agree when in headstand it’s important to stack your hips over your head before lifting up. If you have fear in doing handstands, throw it in the fire! Don’t allow it, don’t feed it, don’t think another second about “fear”! Haha no really, if you are confident in your strength then you are absolutely confident in a handstand. I actually still practice on a wall although I don’t neccessarily need to, it’s just were I workout, and the safety is nice so it gives me more confidence haha, but prep for handstand next to a wall and use your hips like a pivet while keeping your arms and back/core stable and flexed, top leg firm and straight, bottom leg bouncing you up, this piveting will make you feel very confident in going upside down, well for me at least but everyones different, once up your back might feel like it wants to collapse if you are not keeping stacked and stable don’t panic you just need to align. Btw I ramble too much. Thanks for the awesome post!

Posted on November 15, 2013 at 3:52 am
  12. How long do u do the headstand for??

Posted on March 8, 2016 at 3:13 am