my long journey to healing eczema and the new diet that has helped

Hey luvs,

Hope you are ready for a picture heavy post as today I am sharing my journey with eczema and a new diet that helped me heal it. Well, heal it for the most part.

So I mentioned on facebook yesterday about me sharing this topic today and many of you asked if it can help with psoriasis. That’s a great question and I feel you can take what I did and apply it! And hopefully lead you to healing.  Also, Carrie mentioned about glycerin and psoriasis, so thank you Carrie for sharing that. I found this article on psoriasis and glycerin that was pretty interesting, so if you suffer from psoriasis  it might interest you. As well as this homeopathic psoriasis remedy.

Okay here I go.

Now a quick history… I’ve been dealing with itchy skin since I was a little. I won’t get into too much details but I have been experimenting with products and diet since I was young.  So I am PRAYING that I am finally coming to the end of my itchy, irritating, red bumpy ugly skin!

healing eczema through diet and gut healing

As you guys have seen here on the blog that I have been still experimenting with my diet and what foods could be causing it.

I am not sure why this past January it got so bad!? I almost feel from doing a gut healing journey made my eczema worse.  I know weird to think that but that is when my legs got really bad and never stopped.   It’s just so strange. A mystery really.

If you are interested here are the past post about my issues.

Day 1 of gut healing

Avocado, sauerkraut or carrots causing eczema

Fixing eczema autoimmune disease with gut healing

Avocado and sunlight helping or hurting eczema

eczema healing update

There were moments over these past few months that I thought my legs were getting better.

bloody itchy legs

But then I would get an outbreak and itch and itch until my legs were bleeding.

red itch patches on legs

My legs always seemed “better” in the morning, but got worse as the day went on.

eczema

I was so embarrassed. I HATED wearing shorts.

red palm oil on legs

I tried everything in the book to stop the itch.  Yep, even rubbed red palm oil on my legs. Oh ya that was fun. I ruined a lot of my clothes haha

everything I have tried on legs to heal eczema

I tried every type of natural product or gentle product out there.

I read books after books. Blog post of other people sharing their ideas on how to heal eczema.  I even bought a few e-books on healing eczema from other bloggers.

Nothing worked.

Not even prescription steroid creams. Everything just seemed to make my eczema worse. Even natural stuff like coconut oil! Only made the itching worse and caused more red pumps.

I just started trying argan oil, which Melissa mentioned to me to try. Only used it once, so cannot say if it has made a difference. As I am scared to put stuff on my legs, because everything worked for the first few days then all my itchy, red bumps came right back. So frustrating.

really bad eczema outbreak

This was one of the worst outbreaks.  The picture doesn’t do it justice. My legs might not look bad, but they were! I cannot even describe to you how miserable I have been these past months.

From Lori dealing with her hormonal acne that doesn’t seem to stop and from my itchy legs that never stopped – we were such a happy bunch ;) But we kept our heads up and did our best to continue to learn and experiment until we find things that help us.

My legs itched so bad not only did I bleed, but they would wake me up just about every night itching. Sometimes it was just for a minutes, but others it lasted just about all night that I would start to cry because I just wanted them to stop.

legs getting better

I broke down and started taking allerga again.

It did help.

5 days difference with new diet to heal eczema

It has been night and day lately with my legs.

When Lori and I got back from Disney we decided to do a try a new “diet” for a few days. We started it last Wednesday and for 5 days ONLY ate meat or fish with white rice and ghee.  Well after one day of that we decided to add in coconut oil because we felt like crap….we needed our fat. And instantly felt better once we added coconut oil in. Love that stuff!!

Okay back to meat and rice diet. Why would I do such a thing? Well I did go and see an allergist last Tuesday and tested positive for somethings that I was not surprised by as I always kind of knew. They were dust mites, cockroaches, weeds (especially lambquarters), and cat and dog dander.

The doctor gave me a few tips to try as well I decided to do a diet elimination.

meat and rice diet

Enter the meat and white rice diet. We got the idea from Peggy in her Primal Moms book.

Why white rice, well because I like it. Haha, no really it was because white rice really has nothing it. As white rice is really easy for the body to digest.  Most people can handle it when doing an elimination diet, so it was my carb source these past few days. (Lori did this diet with me in hopes it would help her hormonal acne – helped a little but not much relief for her, she will have to give an update here soon)

**this is why you guys have not been seeing much of our eats lately as they have been pretty boring.

eczema healing

Seriously after the first day of this simple diet my legs started to get better instantly.

legs healing through meat and rice diet

I could not believe it!

legs

The bumps, the red patches were gone just had leftover scars and dry skin to deal with.

kombucha rice beef dinner

Even though I was getting so bored with just rice and meat, I kept going! Kombucha helped :) And lots of it. We drank about 1.5 cups a day of it.

added kale back in diet

Then added kale back in diet on Sunday.

Verdict – legs still doing fine!  I also added in lemon and still legs are healing.

added plantains in

The other day we added in PLANTAINS!!!  (we missed them and wanted a different carb source)

Verdict – still no major itching.

most recent legs

My left leg just about clear, as my right still getting there.

But SO MUCH BETTER! I still cannot believe it.

added brussel sprouts

Next up to add back in was was brussel sprouts. We needed fiber and greens in our life.

Legs still doing amazing!

my legs healed - from eczema through diet

It is like I have NEW legs!!!

I am still in shock. And honestly just wanting for another out break.

It has been 7 days and my legs only seem to be getting better. Now I would be lying if I said I was itched free. I still have minor itching, especially when I am over at Lori’s house. Sorry Jax.

But when I start to feel a bad itch is about to come I do take allegra to help, as I want my legs to heal. Yes I hate taking those pills, but I have come to terms that I am just that person who cannot “be 100% natural” with their lifestyle. That I need some medicated, not-so-natural stuff.

So why do I feel my legs have improved so much.

I do believe it was something I was eating. I do have a list in my mind, as I plan to avoid foods in the goosefoot family plus other cross-reaction foods from the mugwart and ragweed family. As well as avoiding foods that react from the dust family.

How did I find about all these different foods to avoid — I GOOGLE IT!! I spend hours and hours reading about being allergic to weeds and what foods to avoid. Slowly over time I will add some of these foods back in. Not sure what will be next. But I am doing my best with doing one food at a time. I have also added in tahini and brown rice protein and still seem to be doing fine.

Based upon my research and foods I was eating a lot of prior to this little meat and rice diet experiment, I am trying to avoid these foods:

Ragweed: bananas, cucumber, zucchini, sunflower

Goosefoot family: beets, chard, lambquarters, spinach, quinoa, and beet sugar

Mugwort : cabbage, broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, parsley, fennel, apples, celery, black pepper, and bell peppers.

It is hard. But seeing the improvement in my skin keeps me going with eating a very simple diet.

Another thing that I feel that has really helped A LOT with healing my eczema is COCONUT OIL. You all know Lori and I tend to have 3-4 tbsp of it a day. But this past 5 days we increased it to 5 tbsp and thinking of even trying 6tbsp. Yes folks you are reading that correct. We eat 5 TBSP of coconut oil a day (plus still having ghee and grass-fed meats and salmon).

Lori and I feel the coconut oil has helped in higher dosages. We have read on other blogs that coconut oil in large amounts like 8tbsp+ helped them with weight loss and thyroid. So we figured it would help with horrible itchy skin. And so far it has!!

And for those that are wondering — no we have not gained weight from the addition of more coconut oil.  In fact we feel it has helped us look even better. With the addition of coconut oil put our calories way over 1700. And Lori’s acne is slowly calming down, so maybe it helped with that too.

Not sure what the diet plan will be next but I am taking it slow. I miss a lot of foods. But also want normal looking legs again.

I will continue to share and give updates on my eczema.

I hope this posts helps you if you are suffering from eczema or any skin conditions.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Here are some articles to check out if interested in allergy cross reactivity with foods:

Seasonal allergy cross reaction chart

Foods to avoid for pollen allergy

Unusual food allergies

Oral Allergy Syndrome

There are many more, like I said just google it and you will find lots of things to read.

Sorry for the extremely long posts. There was a lot to cover ;)  I only pray this healing last on my legs and I PRAY that it may help some of you too!

till next time,

Michelle

Opt In Image
Subscribe for free Updates + Purely Fit Life Tips

Each week you'll receive the latest happenings: free workouts, recipes plus tutorial videos, tips on how to create a life of motivation, health, and beauty, and more. You may read new posts at your own convenience. Welcome to the PT family!

You will receive a welcome pack after signing up with our 4 life tips,
4 healthy recipes and a killer cardio core workout.

52 Responses to my long journey to healing eczema and the new diet that has helped

1. Brooke says:

So happy for you!!! I have eczema and have some similar issues. GL on the rest of your journey. hugs!!

2. Wow I’m SO glad you seem to be finding something that’s working, and I hope you’re able to add in all your old favorite foods! An elimination diet would be hard, but you’re definitely motivated! Hang in there!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted..How to Exercise without ExercisingMy Profile

3. Elimination diets and trying to peg a food culprit are hard! Have you ever heard of histamine intolerance? I’m wondering if that may offer any clues to you. Good luck!
    the 3volution of j3nn recently posted..Monday Musings Vol. 10My Profile

4. Deana says:

If you still haven’t tried NAET, I do recommend it for your allergens – (dust mites, cockroaches, weeds (especially lambquarters), and cat and dog dander.) For me, 30 allergens were eliminated! I had a new lease on life.
    Hang in there, and good luck!

Deana

5. Anna Crouch says:

You sound like me….I feel your pain! I’m following a low fodmap style of eating recently to learn how to manage my IBS and it’s trial after trial. Some days there is hope, and other days I feel discouraged and disappointed because my symptoms return after the smallest thing. Sometimes I wish I were just “normal”, but if we were normal, we wouldn’t be able to help all the people we help, as they struggle with similar things, right? Good luck on your journey free from eczema!
    Anna Crouch recently posted..One of Those DaysMy Profile

6. Sarah says:

Honestly, I’m really glad to hear you say you cannot be 100% natural. I take thyroid replacement hormones for my hasimotos disease. They have helped me tremendously along with dramatically changing my diet. Sometimes I feel bad about that, as it is the only medication I take. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I’m glad you’re healing and hope it only continues to get better for you!

7. CL says:

I’ve recently started using coconut oil externally, rubbing it into my skin where I have Keratosis Pilaris (red bumps on the back of my arms and legs). I saw online that it helps, so I don’t have any scientific basis behind it yet, but I’ll see how it goes for a few weeks. Have you ever tried using coconut oil on your skin to heal it?
    CL recently posted..Surfing in Adelaide with a waterproof disposable cameraMy Profile

• purelytwins says:

we have used coconut oil on skin, Lori uses coconut oil to wash her face and likes it, and we use coconut oil on our KP on our arms as well, no major improvements yet.

• Lesa says:

I didn’t know that I had KP (thought I was just fair with skin that shows too much of everything). Then I realized that after going totally plant based, those pesky red bumps were gone. Within a few weeks. And they’ve stayed gone for almost two years now since that change. I always had mild eczema during the drier cooler months which was resolved by not using any products with fragrance during those times and with a Derma E product (Psorzema creme). But now that I have been fighting a candida problem (many rounds of antibiotics over the years because I had to have my spleen removed, plus almost 20 years taking birth control pills), I have a couple small patches of eczema that are usually explained by exposure to some kind of chemicals, but I am wondering if there are foods triggering it too. Thanks for sharing your journey, Michelle!

• Marylene says:

Any food that feed candida will trigger your eczema….eczema is in many cases just an external symptom of a candida overgroth.

8. I also pray that these different ways of eating help you!

“He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness: by whose stripes ye WERE healed.” 1 peter 2:24

Be blessed and stay strong!
    Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake recently posted..Picture Post Fun!My Profile

9. I FREAKIN love this!!! Use yourself as your own guinea pig! I do it to myself ALL THE TIME and I know for a fact that I can really only eat meat/poultry/fish and fat. Ha! Oh well, at least we know what WORKS FOR US! :)
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..The Pig of the Fish WorldMy Profile

10. Lieke says:

Hi there,

This is my first time responding. Came across your awesome blog last week, as I was searching for sugar and wheatfree recipes. I am on my own journey finding foods my intestines tolerate, so it is really interesting to read your story. Thanks!

And for Lori, this might be an interesting article (role of diet in acne): http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Role%20of%20diet%20in%20acne.pdf
    For my acne using skin products high in niacinamide (>4%) worked as a charm. Results are not instant, but that seem logical knowing that pustels and pimples take 2 weeks to form (thank you google!).

Cheers,

Lieke

ps. English is not my native language, so I appologize in advance for any mistakes

• purelytwins says:

Lieke first thank you and welcome to our blog :)
      and thanks for the link, Lori is starting to use a new NIACIn based face spray and so far is liking it!!
      HUGS

11. lindsay says:

i have to avoid those during mold and ragweed season! i always forget about the zucchini though. I don’t break out, i just get very bad eye allergies. Burning and itching. and i take allegra. A lot, eek, no shame! way to be on top of it michelle. So glad you have found healing. Love you!

12. Tracy says:

Eczema on the legs and is horrible. I too have been suffering from it since I was kid. Every now and then, especially if I wear pants that are snug, my calves burn and need to be scratched. Friends and family tell me to stop scratching and I tell them it’s like there’s something deep down inside and must be scratched. I use Aveeno Cool Menthol lotion on my body every morning and put loads of it on my calves when the itchiness flares up.

A year and a half ago, I saw a Naturopathic Doctor, after being fed up with my family doctor for 2 years. I saw the Naturopath because for 5 years, my eczema was getting worse. I was itchy all the time and my head was getting itchier and flakier and flakier. I tried all different kinds of shampoo, but nothing helped. I had been eating healthier and working out, but not losing weight. I did an IgG test and bananas (my favourite food – I ate at least one a day) was extremely high, as was gluten, eggs, yeast, sugar, and dairy. The Naturopath gave me an elimination / avoidance diet. Somethings I avoided for 1 month and almost everything else was 6 months. She said it takes at least a month to start feeling a difference. I felt like I was Vegan, but ate meat.

For 6 months, I avoided all cow dairy (milk, cheese, cottage, cream, yogurt, butter, ice cream (my all time favourite), casein, eggs, gluten, refine sugar (includes raw sugar cane) and other sugars (corn syrup, molasses, brown/white sugar, glucose, maltose, etc), gluten, dried, sweetened, or canned fruit, pineapple, bananas, cranberries, mushrooms, processed meats, couscous, bulgur , yeast (baker’s and brewer’s), table salt never used it, fruit and vegetable drinks.

It seems like a lot to avoid, and it was hard the first month especially since I don’t like to cook or bake. Guess what I started to do. It worked, my skin cleared up and the itchiness went away. My scalp felt 200% better.

I still follow the diet for the most part. I introduced some foods back and I get flare ups.

It’s a long journey. Keep going.

• purelytwins says:

Tracy thank you for sharing!! Sorry to hear that you deal with itchy skin too!! So happy that you are better now :) yay!! It is amazing once I cut out more foods how much better my body is doing. thanks for the support and encouragement :) HUGS

13. calee says:

glad to hear you’re healing. best of luck for this to continue!
    calee recently posted..Fitness Friday: Best Body Bootcamp Week 1My Profile

14. Oh my gosh that is amazing how much diet has helped! And I’m sure allegra is helping as well. I would LOVE to be able to live a normal life without my allegra D, but sadly that’s just not the way I was made! I’ve tried the regional honey and it helps a little, but not completely. I think that it’s great you tried to remedy the condition naturally, but since you found something that works…stick with it!! :)
    Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut recently posted..A Healthy Living Summit Un-RecapMy Profile

• purelytwins says:

thanks Amanda, I too would like to live without allegra, but at the moment can’t, maybe one day :) thanks for the support!! HUGS

15. Lisa says:

Kind of late on this, but just wanted to put out how amazing this progress is that you’ve seen! It can be so tough to figure out, but I’m so glad you pushed through the hard times. I also had to come to the terms that I just couldn’t get super clear skin without seeing a dermatologist and getting products over the counter that aren’t natural. Yes, it wasn’t what I wanted, but my skin has never ever looked better so I’m thankful I just decided to do it.
    No shame for doing what works for you!<3
    Lisa recently posted..Boost Your MoodMy Profile

16. This is awesome Michelle! I have never thought to link ragweed allergies to foods. I need to do that for my hubby! I have so many allergies, I can’t cut anything else out! lol I’m so glad things are working for you!!!!
    Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..My Season of Yes- Girls NightMy Profile

17. DAG says:

Pretty amazing how well the elimination diet has worked. I was thinking though, 1700-1800 calories a day for girls who work out as much as you do does not seem like enough… Could it be contributing to the amenorrhea?

• purelytwins says:

well we only workout once a day and they are usually always under 30 minutes, so we feel we are doing well so far with it all. but everyone is different, we are both feeling great and happy.

18. Kristine West says:

I don’t know if you’ve ever considered detoxing from parasites, but I bet that would really help. The Bulk Herb Store (started by Michael and Debbie Pearl’s daughter) has a good detox program. Using their bulk herbs makes it very affordable.
    God bless you!

• purelytwins says:

Thanks Kristine, but I have been tested for parasites and I do not have any.

• Kristine West says:

Parasites are rarely detectable. They are experts on hiding. You might want to do a cleanse just to be sure.

I tested negative for parasites, but when I first did a cleanse, after about a week I could “taste” their bi-products (especially at night), and all my symptoms were exaggerated. That’s what happens, because their waste goes into the bloodstream. At the end of the cleanse (it takes three months), I was symptom – free.

It is incredibly easy to pick up parasites, but next to impossible to detect them. I knew I had them (because I found one once in the toilet), but the doctors said I didn’t. (I wish I would have saved it!) This is really embarrassing, but it’s so easy to pick them up from pets, sushi, etc. because the eggs are practically invisible, and I want you to know so you may get relief from your eczema. The parasites might actually be giving you the food sensitivities.

19. Sarah says:

I loved reading this! I have had a similar experience with eczema, although mine is on my lips and armpits, such a nightmare! Through the same kind of rice diet from my allergist, I find my triggers are dairy, eggs, nutritional yeast, kraut, alcohol, and tempeh. I had been eating kraut and nooch all the time blaming my problems on wheat and other things…who knew! I’ve been clear for almost 2 years :) Best of luck finding yours, it’s such a relief!

PS: for night itching I used to use bug bite numbing lotion…probably not healthy but totally worked enough so I could get sleep :)

20. Amie says:

Thank you so much for sharing your journey! I have dealt with eczema since childhood also (on my arms) and it recently started flaring up again. I’ve been trying different things and this gave me some great ideas. I loooove coconut oil and have been using more of it also. Thank you for addressing the fact that you eat multiple tablespoons a day and haven’t gained weight! I keep having to reassure myself of this. Please keep us updated and I hope your legs stay itch-free and fab :)
    Amie recently posted..Rainy day runningMy Profile

21. Brittany says:

I’m glad you’re finding a way to heal your eczema naturally!

I just wanted to add a note about topical steroids, in case someone reading this has the same problem I had. I have had “incurable” eczema since I was a child and docs always “treated” it with topical steroids. As I got older, I needed stronger and stronger steroids and the eczema rashes were getting worse. I tried all kinds of natural things (including elimination diets) but about a year and half ago, I found out that I actually had steroid-induced eczema (also called topical steroid addiction or red skin syndrome). I stopped using topical steroids and went through a horrible withdrawal/healing period. Now I have perfectly normal skin, no eczema! Since it took me such a long time to even find out about it and doctors never told me that could be a possible side effect, I thought I would share here. I wrote about it on my blog (you can see before and afters) and if you looked up ITSAN, there is lots of medical research on it too.

22. Christina says:

Wow amazing! I am going through a similar journey like you. I have eczema on my knees and lower calves…really embarrassing! :( I’m also trying to heal my gut through an elimination diet, (I’m allergic to wheat and dairy :( ) your blog gave me inspiration to keep going! Thanks a lot!

Christina

23. MacKenzie says:

I’ve been having awful eczema flair-ups on my legs, neck, and pretty much my entire back. The itching in unbearable. I think I’m going to give this a try. I also have PCOS…so I really relate the journey you all are taking.
    I’m willing to give it a try and see if it helps my eczema and bloating. 2014 is about healing myself, and this seems simple and inexpensive so I’m willing to give it a go.
    Thank you ladies!

24. I was also suffered from the same problem Eczema one year back but it was not major issue When I am going through your blog I remembered my those days which is really hectic for me. But I really appreciate your courage that you experimented with your diet and the positive results comes out. I think our diet is the tool of our body because what we eat it effect in that way. I think many people who are suffer with the problem of eczema this post will help them.

25. Marylene says:

Coconut oil is amazing…it’s a very powerful anti-fungal….it kills candida, that’s probably why you’ve both seen improvement in your skin condition from taking lots of it :)

26. kristin says:

Hi! I’ve recently begun an elimination diet with my daughter for her eczema… Which fruits and veggies are you eating? Are you eating any allergy free breads? (Free of egg, dairy, gluten, soy, nuts, corn, refined sugars)

I recently was told that brown rice is not good for eczema, have you tried it and what was your reaction?

Thanks for sharing your story!
    P.s. have you checked into getting a filter on your showerhead? I’ve read some on the net that tap water can trigger skin conditions as well as digestive problems when consumed… We recently switched to the zero water filter and added a bath tub filter to help my daughter as she is ALWAYS itchy after time in the water, even a short time.

Blessings!

• purelytwins says:

Kristin during these 5 days I only ate meat, fish and rice. Now I am eating most veggies and a little fruit. I do not eat bread. Never heard that about brown rice thanks for sharing. I do not eat brown rice, although I do have sprouted brown rice protein powder. I used to have a shower filter then I moved and have not put on up yet. Wishing you healing for your daughter!! I am still battling with eczema. Wish I had more to tell to help.

27. Shirley says:

Wow, amazing updates. I too heard healthy eating would help with eczema. So I started eating healthy last week. I also added the Alpha Mane all natural eczema oil to my regimen. I read so much about Alpha Mane’s Eczema products, that I decided to give it a go. Well, wish me luck. I hope I get good results like you did :)