benefits of HIIT

purely talk-01

Can you get fit in under 30 minutes? Yes. We believe you can! We did!

We get a lot of questions regarding our workouts like  – do we only do 12 minute workouts or do we add on other cardio? How long are our workouts?

q and a workout question

get in shape under 30 mins

Today we are going to discuss how we stay in shape just working out in under 30 minutes.

We have been doing shorter workouts for over 4 years now…crazy to think that much time has already passed. But we used to be cardio junkies – running for miles almost every day with very little lifting. Then we started a bakery and life as we knew it changed! Our time was spent running that — not working out! We barely had time to workout, which was very hard for us. There would be days – even weeks, we did not workout.

Eventually Michelle stumbled upon bodyrock, which if you have been following us for awhile we love  Zuzana and her workouts.

Why? Because they were short. We felt amazing doing them. And our bodies were changing. And around this same time our love of running vanished. And we started gaining muscle.

We happily accepted our new workout style! And fast forward many years we are still loving them. Although we have learned more of what works for us, in addition started loving other types of workouts – like yoga!

What is HIIT? (high intensity interval training) Any kind of aerobic activity that alternates high and low intensity training. What that means is you push yourself for a certain period of time and then you rest. And repeat.

do HIITworkouts

Benefits of shorter workouts:

• you burn more fat than longer, moderate cardio
  • you will be less tired – studies show that even doing just 20 minutes of exercise for 3 days a week your energy increases
  • those feel good endorphins will increase
  • perfect workouts if short on time, allows you to get in shape quicker
  • improves the health of your heart
  • HIIT improves your metabolism
  • improves overall athletic performance  (which from our experience is true as we ran a half marathon this past Feb, and we did no training just our HIIT workouts. We did not run it in record time or anything, just the fact that we were able to complete it).

Actually most of our workouts last anywhere from  5 minutes-20 minutes – average. There are some days when we go longer than 20 minutes.  As we mentioned in the video, these times do not include our warm-up and cool downs, plus we share our other favorite form of exercise we do almost daily.

In order for HIIT to really work you HAVE TO PUSH YOURSELF to your LIMITS.

push your limits

We remember being in the cardio crowd – people you see everyday on the same machine going at a steady pace – even though they might be dedicated,  they always seem to look the same. How do we know this? Because that was us…for years! Long steady cardio does have some benefits, but if you are looking for overall body change you need to push yourself differently. Solution – high intensity interval training.  For us, doing short intense workouts with just body weight alone changed our life for the better.

Something big to note – the types of workouts we do are a mix of strength and cardio, which is one reason why we can get a great workout in a short amount of time.  We aim to use a lot of different body parts in our workouts – multi-joint and multi-exercise training.  And we love balance and coordination moves!

And as we said in the video – THIS IS NOT the ONLY WAY TO GET IN SHAPE. There are a lot of ways to get fit and stay fit. We follow a lot of fitness people – and they are do their own thing and look amazing. Don’t be afraid to life weights. Don’t think you have to do hours of cardio. Don’t be afraid to mix things up – do different things. Do more bodyweight exercises.

tummy tuck on equalizer

The key is to find the type of exercise you like….that you can do everyday if you wanted too. (rest days are important!!) But being able to push hard in your workouts, no matter what it is, that is when you see results!

Check out these articles about the benefits of short workouts:

Anaerobic exercise

Chronic cardio

HIIT takes you to fat burning level

Improve your running time with HIIT

Compound Moves for a great workout

Less is MORE

Crank up your metabolism and digestion

Ramp it Up HIIT workout

Twins Question: Do you believe you can get fit in under 30 minutes? What are your thoughts on HIIT? How long do you workout for?

As you can see from our youtube workout videos and our Purely Fit Life Club we love short workouts.  Well, in our program you learn more about the way we workout and why we do certain exercises.  Remember you can join at any time.

Come get in shape with us…this is for life!We are here everyday to keep you motivated!

Remember no matter what – BELIEVE in yourself and remember you CAN do it.

Lori and Michelle

purelytwins

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

35 thoughts on “Can you get fit in under 30 minutes?

1. I run or cycle every day for about 60-90 minutes, only because I love to! I agree that high intensity workouts and strength training are important, too. I try to do some interval training, along with all the cardio that I do. In fact, I did an Insanity workout video this morning. It’s pretty fun 🙂

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 11:54 am
    1. oh yes Insanity is a great one, we did that a few years ago and sparked our love even more 🙂

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 12:13 pm
  2. For cardio I just have two days a week I do HIIT sessions for just 30 minutes. But for my strength training I do around an hour of upper body and an hour of lower body with a few hours of rest in between upper and lower.

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 12:44 pm
    1. awesome Rebecca

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 1:00 pm
  3. I used to do Body Rock all the time (before she did the boob thing). Those were some killer workouts! I’m one of those weird people who loves spending lots of time in the gym, but these HIIT are great for getting a killer workout in quick!

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 12:50 pm
    1. haha 🙂

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 1:01 pm
  4. THanks for including me! I love HIIT and do it regularly! I’ve been working out for about 10 years now (holy cow) and have included HIIT into my programs in the past 3 years. Love it.

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 1:08 pm
    1. thanks for the great article 🙂 yay for HIITs

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 6:13 pm
  5. Love everything about this post. I hate when people say “I don’t have time to be fit.” Yes, you do. You just have to know what to do. The only thing between fitness and you is a flimsy excuse.

I’m with Laura — I’m a weirdo that likes to spend time in the gym. But it’s probably because I was used to having an hour after work to myself when I was able to run. It’s like a decompression chamber. 🙂 But I’m also not hugely into needing to be super ripped, or super fast, or whatever right now either, so I’m not working out intensely, just smart movement.

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 2:52 pm
  6. Love this post! As a former competitive swimmer, I used to swim for 2.5 hours a day. It was a MAJOR commitment and super time consuming and my body NEVER changed. I quit competitive swimming and started lifting weights for 10-15 minutes a day along with isolated ab, legs and arm workouts and running and swimming for short periods of time a few times a week. I have great results! I’ve built a ton of muscle and my metabolism has really sped up. I’m feeling great 🙂 Love HIIT!

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 3:13 pm
  7. I love HIIT as my Cardio sessions. I lift heavy 4 times a week (split up style) but I love the Intervals. And sometimes an easy longer jog/run is just perfect to sort out thoughts !!

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 3:55 pm
    1. awesome Lucie!

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 6:14 pm
  8. I totally believe it’s possible to be fit in 30 minutes!! I just keep finding myself doing endurance events!

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 4:12 pm
    1. 😉

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 6:14 pm
  9. Dang, you two are definitely fit from HIIT!!! Thanks for including our post.

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 4:20 pm
    1. thanks!!!

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 6:15 pm
  10. I think you absolutely can, depending on your goals! And looking at you two, how can there be any doubt. 🙂

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 5:28 pm
    1. thanks sweetie xo

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 6:15 pm
  11. Hi twins from twins! First, thank you for including our post on Metabolism in your recommended list. Second, you are spot on that HIIT is a key way to reach one’s fitness goals in less time. Basically people have to choose between intensity (which for baby boomers like us may not be an option given joint issues) or duration or frequency. I love high intensity activities, but cannot do many of them anymore so need to go more often and longer. Dang it! Breathe and sweat heavily for me Purely Rad Twins!

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 6:05 pm
  12. LOVE HIIT! Aside from hiking and walking Niko, it’s the only cardio I do – just a couple times a week after lifting.

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 6:30 pm
  13. LOVE quick 30 minute workouts! You can squeeze so many killer moves into a short period of time, it’s great. I am actually teaching a 30 minute class at the club and people love it. Constant movement, functional movements, and full body workout…you can’t go wrong.

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 8:54 pm
  14. I love this video ladies, y’all are in great shape and look like what you’re doing is working wonderfully for you! I feel like ever since I quit my gym a few years ago and started doing shorter workouts with higher intensity at home (just vids online/etc) I’m in such better shape than I ever was spending 40+ minutes at the gym too! My main cardio is walking my dog a few times a week then I like to do a variety of different body weight training, pilates inspired, etc exercises to supplement, just 15-25 minutes or so 4 times a week. It seems to be the magic trick for me to really slim down & tone up, all without spending a ton of time, which is such a win! 🙂

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 10:27 pm
  15. short and sweet and EFFECTIVE! yes, they work! so glad you shared this. Love all the links too!

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 10:35 pm
  16. HIIT is great – I struggle to do it on my own because I can’t seem to motivate myself quite “there”. But in a group environment – perfect! I love those bar things you guys have … I need to get some of those!

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 11:33 pm
  17. I’ve been training for a half marathon for a month now, and have seen absolutely NO results. I can run further. I can run faster. True. I’m also 1-2 pounds heavier, with no improvements in waistline, hips, thighs, etc. So crushed. Rather defeated. Unfortunately, I’m also in the middle of a move to a different country, so all workouts are sort of rushed. I love to run. But when we get to our new country, I’m going to have to incorporate HIIT into my routine. I did bodyrock for a while during med school, but I don’t think the workouts are as good now, so I quit (plus working 80-120 hours per week does horrible things for the free time (erases it completely)). Here’s hoping I can lose some weight!

Posted on August 2, 2013 at 2:26 am
    1. Diane oh girl, you are going through a lot right now. Give yourself a little break 🙂 and slowly find workouts you enjoy doing. If you like running, keep that up. Just try 2-3 times a week to do a HIIT.

Posted on August 2, 2013 at 8:45 am
  18. Awesome post, ladies! I’ve been sending a lot of my health coach clients your way for workouts… I really think this is a great way to train, and THE way to get leaner and more toned. I’m still a runner at heart- it’s in my blood- but in my head, I know the short, intense exercises are what get results.

Posted on August 2, 2013 at 12:14 pm
  19. I think it is funny that you are posting this now. I ordered Zuzka’s ZCUT strength training videos last week, and got them in the mail yesterday! You two look great, and I’m excited to get started with these videos. You two got me hooked on ZWOW’s, and when I went back to weight lifting at the gym, it was way too boring for me! I’m back to Zuzka!

Posted on August 2, 2013 at 12:48 pm
  20. completely agree with this and it was something that also took me a few years to realize. i always did cardio focused work outs and wondered why i wasn’t seeing the results i wanted. probably a little over a year ago i started really focusing on strength training and LOVE seeing the results. they happen a lot quicker! i love seeing my arms GROW my legs get STRONGER. its a hard shift to make, but it’s one i am glad i finally made. i also only do about 20-30 minutes a day, mostly body weight with a lifting set afterwards.

so glad you touched on this because even though the information is out there i think its something everyone should read on and find out what works best for them.

(and yes your work outs are in my rotation. love them!)

Posted on August 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm
    1. Awesome Debbie.

Posted on August 2, 2013 at 5:42 pm
  21. I love HIIT training and it is more effective and I feel better than doing long drawn out workouts.

Posted on August 3, 2013 at 4:38 pm
  22. i love short workouts 🙂 most of the GPP workouts are 20 – 30 minutes 🙂 so it’s kind of in line with what you two are doing and i’ve never received better results in my life

Posted on August 4, 2013 at 8:53 am
    1. YES!!!! love it Meg 🙂 YAY!!!

Posted on August 4, 2013 at 10:22 am
  23. This is exactly what I tell everyone that will stand still long enough to listen. You can get a real fitness benefit by working out 30 minutes a day.
    I think its the shift in your mind set that you are going to make it part of your routine thats the biggest change.
    What a great post, I will be sharing it for sure!

Posted on August 6, 2013 at 5:37 pm