Guess what we have for you today. Yep. A new donut recipe.
And not only donuts… but donuts that are egg and grain free!
We hope you like our grain-free egg-free plantain donuts with perfect fit protein frosting.
Now when you think of donuts you probably don’t think of plantains. Nope.
That is probably just us.
We have experimented a few times with a plantain donut before and finally satisfied with this recipe. A few things we wanted:
- few ingredients
- easy to make
- grain and egg free
- low in sugar
- good sturdy donut (perfect for dipping in coffee)
Why did we use plantains? We use it as our “flour” in our recipes. Just like others use regular or almond flour, we are liking plantains as they are a natural ingredient. And we do not always like using coconut flour because it does best using a lot of eggs. And since we are trying to keep our recipes egg-free (due to many of our readers requesting that) we are finding that sometimes plantains do better.
Now going with that these are not the typical donut let’s pretend that plantains donuts are the norm. Okay…maybe that’s pushing it.
But for those that are looking for a grain-free and egg-free donut this recipe is for you. We have experimented with other grain and egg-free recipes before and find very little success. We find these donuts to be a good success.
These plantain donuts are on the dense side. Not light and cake like. But we are okay with that since they are very few ingredients in them. In addition, like most of our recipes, these are not very sweet especially since we did a protein frosting not a powdered sugar. So feel free to use whatever frosting or glaze you would want on your donuts! Maybe try cinnamon sugar…or even chocolate!
We topped our plantain donuts with our go-to protein frosting.
Mixing up perfect fit protein powder with a little water and coconut oil. Simple. Delicious. Oh yay.
These donuts held together. Tasted yummy. Satisfied us. Now you can enjoy more than one donut with no guilt. We sure did.
Here is the recipe for our egg-free grain-free plantain donuts with protein frosting.
egg-free grain-free plantain donuts with protein frosting
Egg and grain free plantain donut recipe. Simple ingredient list. Topped with a protein frosting.
- 7 oz peeled plantain (yellow green)
- 4 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- a few drops of stevia or 1 tbsp sugar
- Protein frosting:
- 3 - 4 tablespoons protein powder (we used perfect fit brown rice)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Add water 1 tablespoon at time until you get the desired consistency.
- Add maple syrup or drops of stevia to taste if you desire a sweeter frosting.
- Peel a large plantain and should weigh around 7 oz. Roughly chop plantain and place in blender. Puree till smooth.
- Place plantain puree into a large bowl and add in cinnamon and baking powder with 3 tbsp arrowroot and coconut oil. Stir together.
- Then add in the last tablespoon of arrowroot.
- Lightly grease donut pan. And fill, makes 4 donuts.
- Bake at 375 degree for about 13 minutes.
- For the frosting:
- Mix in a small bowl. Spread onto donuts.
Can make in a muffin pan if you do not have a donut pan.
And if you would like to use eggs - replace 1 egg for the arrowroot.
All rights reserved to Purelytwins.com
Whip up this batch of protein plantain donuts next time you are looking for the perfect breakfast to enjoy with a cup of coffee!
These donuts serve 1-2 people
Disclosure: In order to support our blogging activities, we may receive monetary compensation for our recommendations and/or links to any products from this blog. Please note, we only endorse products that are in alignment with Purely Twins values and we believe would benefit of our readers. Some post may have affiliate links, which means if you buy something through these links, Purely Twins gets a small percentage at no extra cost to you. We appreciate the support as it helps keep Purely Twins going!