egg-free grain-free plantain donuts with protein frosting

Hello luvs,

Guess what we have for you today. Yep. A new donut recipe.

And not only donuts… but donuts that are egg and grain free!

We hope you like our grain-free egg-free plantain donuts with perfect fit protein frosting.

easy plantain grain free donuts

Now when you think of donuts you probably don’t think of plantains. Nope.

That is probably just us.

We have experimented a few times with a plantain donut before and finally satisfied with this recipe. A few things we wanted:

• few ingredients
  • easy to make
  • grain and egg free
  • low in sugar
  • good sturdy donut (perfect for dipping in coffee)

Why did we use plantains? We use it as our “flour” in our recipes. Just like others use regular or almond flour, we are liking plantains as they are a natural ingredient.  And we do not always like using coconut flour because it does best using a lot of eggs. And since we are trying to keep our recipes egg-free (due to many of our readers requesting that) we are finding that sometimes plantains do better.

grain free gluten free plantain donuts

Now going with that these are not the typical donut let’s pretend that plantains donuts are the norm. Okay…maybe that’s pushing it.

But for those that are looking for a grain-free and egg-free donut this recipe is for you. We have experimented with other grain and egg-free recipes before and find very little success. We find these donuts to be a good success.

These plantain donuts are on the dense side. Not light and cake like. But we are okay with that since they are very few ingredients in them. In addition, like most of our recipes, these are not very sweet especially since we did a protein frosting not a powdered sugar. So feel free to use whatever frosting or glaze you would want on your donuts! Maybe try cinnamon sugar…or even chocolate!

gluten free paleo donuts

We topped our plantain donuts with our go-to protein frosting.

Mixing up perfect fit protein powder with a little water and coconut oil. Simple. Delicious. Oh yay.

grain free plantain donuts

These donuts held together. Tasted yummy. Satisfied us. Now you can enjoy more than one donut with no guilt. We sure did.

Here is the recipe for our egg-free grain-free plantain donuts with protein frosting.

egg-free grain-free plantain donuts with protein frosting

serves 1-2

egg-free grain-free plantain donuts with protein frosting

Egg and grain free plantain donut recipe. Simple ingredient list. Topped with a protein frosting.

Ingredients

• Donuts:
  • 7 oz peeled plantain (yellow green)
  • 4 tablespoons arrowroot
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • a few drops of stevia or 1 tbsp sugar
  • Protein frosting:
  • 3 - 4 tablespoons protein powder (we used perfect fit brown rice)
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • Add water 1 tablespoon at time until you get the desired consistency.
  • Add maple syrup or drops of stevia to taste if you desire a sweeter frosting.

Directions

1. Peel a large plantain and should weigh around 7 oz. Roughly chop plantain and place in blender. Puree till smooth.
  2. Place plantain puree into a large bowl and add in cinnamon and baking powder with 3 tbsp arrowroot and coconut oil. Stir together.
  3. Then add in the last tablespoon of arrowroot.
  4. Lightly grease donut pan. And fill, makes 4 donuts.
  5. Bake at 375 degree for about 13 minutes.
  6. For the frosting:
  7. Mix in a small bowl. Spread onto donuts.

Notes

Can make in a muffin pan if you do not have a donut pan.

And if you would like to use eggs - replace 1 egg for the arrowroot.

Whip up this batch of protein plantain donuts next time you are looking for the perfect breakfast to enjoy with a cup of coffee!

These donuts serve 1-2 people :)

Enjoy!

35 Responses to egg-free grain-free plantain donuts with protein frosting

1. Lisa says:

Stop it, these look so darn amazing! I don’t have a donut pan, but wonder if they’d work as mini muffins or something…hmm!
    I baked my first plantain on Wednesday, and I’m pretty sure I’ll be just as obsessed as you girls:)
    Happy Friday!
    Lisa recently posted..Friday RandomsMy Profile

2. kristine says:

I love you ladies for introducing me to the goodness that is plantains! haha. I used them to make the most awesome brownies I’ve ever had in my life (vegan, gf, and no refined sugars). Blessings!

3. jillian says:

looks great, I can’t wait to try these! I even have all the ingredients! :)

4. Erica says:

PERFECTION! I’m actually making a gluten and dairy free dinner for tomorrow night! We’re having a few friends over and one is allergic to dairy and gluten, so I made sure she could eat EVERYTHING we’re having. Yayy

5. You girls are so creative, I love it! These look amazing as usual :)
    Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..I Love NutsMy Profile

6. Hannah says:

Shut the front door!! You girls have done it again!! This recipe is pure genius! I think you guys might need to have a another website called Purely Plaintains :) I have been craving donuts lately so I will definitely have to give these a try! Do you think they might be good with cocoa powder?

7. I love this creative use of plantains – you ladies are on a roll!!
    Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Currently in JulyMy Profile

8. I have a plantain on my counter. Now I just need to create. These look so good! One day I’m going to buy a doughnut plan…
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted..Strange But Good: Blueberry Thyme Protein CakeMy Profile

9. Alisha says:

Hey girls! I have all the ingredients except for the protein powder… How do you think tahini would do in place of the protein powder? Could I somehow make a simple tahini frosting?

10. lindsay says:

you just gave me a very good excuse to get a donut pan for my bday!
    lindsay recently posted..Fitness Friday: PUMP me UP PUMAMy Profile

11. ok i’ve GOT to get on this plantain train!!!
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..The PUMANATOR WorkoutMy Profile

12. Ela-runs says:

I’ve just found out your blog and I really admire how creative you are! I also am on a gluten-free diet because I have to and almost everyone reacts: “poor you”… piece of nonsense!
    Yours amazing foods are living proofs that gluten-free food not only can look amazing but also can it taste delicious!

13. Danielle says:

Hi ladies, can you sub Ener-G egg replacer instead of arrowroot? I’m out of that right now.

14. Chelsea says:

I can eat these!!! I’m so excited! My daughter is only three months old and has SUCH a sensitive digestion, keeping me on a very strict diet. It’s been so hard to give up my favorite foods for this season! Donuts again, thank you! :-)

15. You both never cease to amaze me with your deliciousness. I would love to bake with you guys! OMG a GIGI EATS episode?!?!?! Yes! Do you ever come to Los Angeles?

16. zosia says:

Just wanted to give some feedback on these donuts: GREAT! I didn’t even add any sweetener and they were still nice. I did tweak the recipe (but very minimally). Either way – thanks for another great recipe!

17. April says:

Hi, these look so amazing! Thank you for making grain/gluten free and egg free recipes that are healthy! I was wondering, would using a black plantain make a huge difference in your recipes? Why? Just curious :) Thanks!

18. alicia says:

Just made these as mini muffins! Yum! Do you think they would freeze well?

19. […] recipe comes from this site…I take no credit for it, because frankly, I am not creative enough to come up with a recipe […]

20. Kathie says:

I’m a newbie with plantains….how do you know when one is ripe? They all look so green and hard at the store. Thanks!

21. […] was looking through some recipes earlier this week and found a similar recipe for donuts. I tweaked it a bit, changed the base, and […]