Hello luvs,

This past weekend we came across this paleo video and this is meat eater video, and both got us thinking. Ok. A lot of thinking. And reflecting.

We have been fortunate enough to have access to some amazing farmers in our area. When we lived back in Raleigh and worked at the farmers market we got to know a lot of farmers really well. They know so much about food…more than most people which is kind of sad if you think about it. Sad to think so many people really have no idea where food comes from –> they just drive to a store and BAM there is food everywhere.

purely thoughts logo-01

We admire people that grow their own food. Actually jealous. We have tried to grow some veggies, and FAILED. We just do not have a green thumb. Hopefully one day we will be able to grow our own food.

we have this one life

Therefore we are extremely blessed and grateful for the farmers we get to know each week at our local farmers market.

plantains and mahi

We are not perfect, as we still do some grocery shopping at grocery stores. As we get most of our fish frozen from Trader Joes (we always try to get wild) because it fits into our budget.

Knowing what the farmers (and fishermen) go through day in and day out, we sometimes do feel guilty when we do buy from stores.  So when we are able to get fish (and meat and veggies) locally we truly VALUE it!

lamb burger

The point we are trying to get across is more along the lines that people that actually grow plants and raise animals know more about food than anyone. And those are the people we want to support. The meat we buy we know the farmer took care of it. They have compassion for the animal. Did not force it into small living areas. Did not feed it grain-soy based foods. Let them eat how they are supposed to eat.

chia protein pudding

We will admit eating high quality wild fish, grass-fed meats, pastured raised eggs is very expensive. It can be hard for us to make it work. One reason why we love protein powders. Yes, they are not necessarily real food (we know that) but they allow us to enjoy an inexpensive meal. Like we said we are not perfect. We make the best out of what we got and when we can get it.

But every time we sit down to eat (no matter what it is) we bless our food. Thank GOD for allowing us to be able to enjoy amazing food.

It is not about being perfect, just making a good effort to make better choices.

salmon dinner

For us personally, we are not trying to fit into any “diet” mold.

We have mentioned that many times here. But feel sometimes it is nice to repeat it, as there can be a lof of confusion and misunderstanding. Especially with social media these days, it’s crazy how far things can go.

Even looking back at our past, we have changed dramatically from growing up on a SAD diet to a highly processed fitness diet (filled with protein bars and shakes, low-fat foods) to gluten-free diet to raw vegan diet to paleo-like diet all leading up to our present moment of eating foods that we want to eat. Doing our best to make good choices. Keeping our meals as simple and real as possible. But still enjoying life along the way. Again we are not trying to fit into any diet mold. Just be us. And EAT when we are hungry. Eat what we want. Finding our balance.

We will continue to make our best effort when it comes to food. We will continue to honor our bodies.

twins dressed up

We will continue to bless our food.  Never stop being grateful.

And remain PURELY us!

Remember to #bepurelyyou 🙂

Twins Question: What are your thoughts on blessing your food? Humanely raised and processed animals? Do you grow your own food?

What are your thoughts on the video if you got a chance to watch it?

till next time,

purelytwins

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

26 thoughts on “we are not trying to fit into any diet mold

1. I love what you say at the end: “Never stop being grateful.” So true!

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 12:09 pm
  2. I really love this and love seeing your progression through all different kinds of labels and “diets” to what works best for you. It’s constantly changing and progressing, which is how we should all be eating.

I’ve been reading through some of your past digestion posts and really appreciate them. I’ve been at a stand still for awhile now and looking to try and change things up. I’m tired of not being able to eat anything and I love reading over blog posts for ideas. Thanks for all you do!

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 12:20 pm
    1. Thank you Alley!! Best of luck on your journey. Hope some of our old posts can help.

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 1:39 pm
  3. Such a great post. I work at a food co-op where we support local farmers/ producers who are growing food consciously and sustainably. It makes such a difference to know the face of the person growing your food. Also, I love the not trying to fit it any diet mold.

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm
    1. Thank is awesome Ali!! Keep it up.

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 1:40 pm
  4. Good videos, ladies. Thank you for sharing. I love Elliott Hulse. I don’t always agree with him, but he’s always very entertaining and fun to listen to. I did agree with the video you posted, though. Good stuff.

I agree with everything you said about food, even though I’ll be changing my way of eating to follow a very specific diet mold in the next few weeks (GAPS). Shopping at the farmer’s market and developing a relationship with the farmers has been such a blessing to me as well. And the increase in cost is completely worth it. I think I read once that farmers whose crop gets bought up to become processed grocery products get 10% of every food dollar; the rest goes to advertisers, imaging, product packaging, etc. I would rather give my hard earned money directly to the farmer, who worked hard to bring high quality, humanely-raised food to my table. I hope to one day have a farm of my own, so paying the farmer is absolutely worth it. Farmers are in it because they’re passionate about their craft and product, not because they want to scam you into believing you NEED something with clever marketing.

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 1:39 pm
    1. exactly!!! thanks girl!! and good luck with your the GAPS diet 🙂 HUGS

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 2:07 pm
  5. I love the idea of blessing your food. I’ve recently made more of an effort to do so, and the food is literally more satisfying to me every time I do it. I try to also be conscious of the food sourcing, but with budget constraints it can be difficult, unfortunately.

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 4:09 pm
  6. Everything you said is so very true. It’s all about doing the best you can. We can’t be perfect even though we beat ourselves up for it from time to time. We just have to do what feels right and makes us happy. Not worry about what other people think 🙂 xox

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 4:33 pm
    1. Exactly Jen.

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 6:52 pm
  7. This is so on point girls! And yes gratitude is so important. I too think its sad that so many people are so far removed from knowing where real food comes from. I’m blessed to have a father who hunts and goes fishing and therefore I have access to wild meat. Now that I’m in the city, me and J get our meat/eggs from the market and sometimes chickens from friends who raise them. i’ll check out the videos!

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 5:10 pm
    1. Awesome Heathy!! You are very lucky 🙂

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 6:53 pm
  8. Awesome post. I am not a religious person, but inside my head I do always give thanks to the animal for giving its life for my sustenance, and to the people that worked hard to get the food to my table.

Focusing on buying my meat from a local, free range source helped me transition from vegetarian to omnivore several years ago, and I am lucky to live with someone who is like minded and finds the value in quality foods. We are by no means wealthy, but it is a priority for us.

I cannot wait for the day when I live in a house (not an apartment) and can have a garden! I absolutely love gardening. My mom and Grandmothers all grew their own vegetables. There is nothing quite like eating something you’ve grown in your backyard!

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 6:30 pm
  9. Thank you for bringing religion into your posts here and there. I appreciate it. I also appreciate Elliot haha. He’s the boss.

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 7:16 pm
    1. haha he is 😉

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 8:28 pm
  10. I’ve been following you ladies for about 4 years now (maybe less/more?) and I love your current approach to food and eating. Try to eat as locally, organic, and grassfed/wild caught/natural as possible, and if it doesn’t happen that way, that’s okay too. I feel like the phrase, “everything in moderation including moderation” is the best way to live life and you ladies are doing a fabulous job at it.

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 8:04 pm
    1. thank you Amanda!!! yes moderation is key 🙂 HUGS

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 8:28 pm
  11. Great post! I believe it is so important to bless our food and thank God for it! He created it and and gave it to us, everything belongs to Him anyway. He is so good to give us so many blessings! Undeserving-that’s what we are!

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 8:09 pm
    1. yes 🙂

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 8:27 pm
  12. Do you eat quinoa or oatmeal or noodles either gluten free or otherwise? Or do you not eat grains or many potatoes or sweet potatoes or cereal and breads? If not, why?

Can you give me your plantain pancake recipe…using few ingredients as possible. I can’t seem to find it. I have two plantains and don’t know what to do with them!

Thanks. Oh, bananas don’t make you constipated? How often do you eat them? Do you eat any other fruits? I have severe IBS and GI problems and I am searching for relief desperately. Bad pain and constipation. Can’t take it anymore.

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 9:17 pm
    1. Beth at the moment we do not eat quinoa, but it is a great food to have if you can. We have not had oatmeals in years as our stomach does not like it. We do our best to not eat grains. Have you seen our gut healing post? We suggestion checking those out as we answer a lot of these questions there. http://purelytwins.com/our-guide-to-improving-digestion/

Here are two of our many plantain recipes – http://purelytwins.com/2013/05/27/our-weekend-eats-and-highlights/ and http://purelytwins.com/2013/05/13/eating-moderate-carbs-to-fit-our-bodies/ We have never had a problem with bananas. Yes we eat other fruits from berries to peaches to figs.

Let us know what else we can help you with.

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 9:34 pm
  13. Love this post. So many people want a diet label, but it can be harmful if you’re not in tune with your own body and what is growing around you. I grew up with a huge garden and when we first got married we had space for a small one, but not in Houston. I’m itching to grow some veggies and herbs again!

Posted on July 23, 2013 at 10:34 am
  14. You are so right girls!
    Too often we get caught up in labeling ourselves (or others) regarding to how we eat, that we forget that we are so blessed to even have access to food, to be able to choose where this food comes from, to even have those kind of “issues”. Most people on this earth don’t even have access to water. We are really blessed and I love how you said that you bless your food.
    Keep up the greatness 😉

Posted on July 23, 2013 at 2:46 pm
    1. thank you 🙂

Posted on July 23, 2013 at 5:08 pm
  15. Such a beautiful post! I completely agree with what you wrote girls, bless our food, honour our bodies and be grateful for what we’ve got.

Posted on July 26, 2013 at 1:19 pm