We got a FUN purely talk today! It is all about our current love — plantains!
What is a plantain?
How to peel it?
How many do we eat?
Why do we eat plantains?
What is the difference between a banana and a plantain?
Today’s post and in the video we plan to answer all of these questions about plantains.
Here is a quick overview about plantains:
- Plantains and bananas look similar.
- Plantains tend to be a bit bigger in size.
- Plantains have a thicker and harder peel.
- Both bananas and plantains are a fruit, although plantains are looked as a vegetable due to being more starchy.
- Most grocery stores have plantains, just might have to ask or look around the produce area.
- You can eat plantains at any stage of ripeness. You can eat green, yellow and black plantains.
- The green plantains are more starchy as the black ones are more sweet.
- Plantains are a great source of fiber (soluble which is the fiber we try to have).
- Good source of vitamins and minerals like potassium, B6, Vitamin A and C, folates, iron and many others
- Less sugar when compared to a banana
One more thing … bananas can be eaten raw whereas plantains have to be cooked.
There are many ways to enjoy plantains. We love them anyway. We have many more ideas already popping in our heads with them. And so many of you have been inspired to create your own recipes using plantains- love seeing that!
See all our other plantain recipes here.
In the video we also share how to peel a plantain. We also discuss more of why we eat them and how many we eat in a day.
Hope you guys enjoyed our quick video all about plantains!
You all know we love them, do you?
see you guys next time,