OMG bacon avocado grain-free sandwich

Hey luvs!

We love hearing what you guys like to do to help get rid of night time cravings! We love learning from you guys! Thanks for sharing what has helped you.

But really let’s talk avocado and bacon.  And for our non-bacon friends, please skip this post and we will see you guys tomorrow for our weekly highlights.

Earlier this week we enjoyed this O-M-G grain-free paleo friendly sandwich for lunch.

bacon avocado bread grain free

We wanted to put some figs on this yummy sandwich but by the time we took the pictures (followed by inhaling it) we looked at each other and realized we forgot the figs! Oh …. darn… guess we have to re-make this one sexy sandwich ;)

This sandwich is OMG because it is filled with some of our favorite things – avocado, plantains, and bacon.  OMG, right?

Yes we both have started eating avocados again! We have come to the conclusion that the eczema might not have anything to do with avocados like we thought since we still had issues with itching, even though we were not eating avocados. Yippee for avocados back in our life!

To be honest this was our first time making a bacon sandwich. Mainly because we are not really sandwich people. Plus we go through periods of eating bacon then not eating it for awhile. Our weird food cravings.

how to make bacon grain free avocado sandwich

But after discovering our plantain bread we are hooked on using it as a base for other plantain sandwiches. Maybe we are sandwich people after all?

This is not really a BLT but we think it can stand up to one. Okay maybe not. Oh wait, only if we had those figs it might have a chance ;)

Kidding aside.

gluten-free plantain avocado bacon sandwich

We truly enjoyed this simple paleo friendly sandwich. Filled with our healthy fats and carbs with a little protein.

This kept us full and satisfied. Mission accomplished.

Funny how just enjoying a meal as simple as this can make us so happy.

See a video of us making plantain bread.

grain-free plantain avocado bacon sandwich

serves 2-3

grain-free plantain avocado bacon sandwich

Grain-free plantain bread with avocado and bacon. Paleo bread recipe.

Ingredients

• 1 avocado
  • bacon slices (as many as you want)
  • 1 recipe of plantain bread

Directions

1. Follow the directions to make plantain bread.
  2. Let cool and slice into desired shapes.
  3. Mash up your avocado and spread on plantain bread.
  4. Top with bacon slices (or you can use turkey bacon or if you do not eat meat you could use eggplant bacon).
  5. Enjoy!

Next time … we need to try it with figs and heat it like a panini!

Check out some of our other favorite sandwich ideas

Tahini fig pancake sandwich

Peach plantain bread egg sandwich

Raspberry plantain bread would be a perfect base for nut butters or whatever you fancy

Ultimate plantain sandwich

Can even jazz up plantain bread and add in kefir for a probiotic rich bread

Oh the ideas of using plantains! We love hearing and seeing you guys loving plantains as much as we are…welcome to the plantain lovers club!

Twins Question: Are you a sandwich person? What is your favorite sandwich toppings?

Opt In Image
Subscribe for free Updates + Purely Fit Life Tips

Each week you'll receive the latest happenings: free workouts, recipes plus tutorial videos, tips on how to create a life of motivation, health, and beauty, and more. You may read new posts at your own convenience. Welcome to the PT family!

You will receive a welcome pack after signing up with our 4 life tips,
4 healthy recipes and a killer cardio core workout.

Below is a recap of our personal workout schedule for February 2015. We are sharing this here on the blog to help us be more accountable. Feel free to join along with keeping track of your workouts with us by sharing in the comments or tag us on instagram (#purelytwins). Our workouts are a mix of purely fit…

Read More »

Comments

1. says

SO happy to hear you can eat your avocados again!! That’s awesome. I don’t know what I’d do without my avocados ;)
    I do like sandwiches occasionally, but I also love huge salads or roasted veggies about the same.
    I think my favorite toppings would be the classic almond butter and homemade jam.
    And then have a salad on the side, just so I get some nutrients in there.
    Lisa recently posted..Simple TruthsMy Profile

2. says

I like sandwiches but I always had a bad habit of taking the different parts and eating them separately. That or I would tear off chunks instead of just taking a bite. Lol.

Where do you girls get your bacon from? I was picking up some organic sausages at Whole Foods the other day for my parents and thought I’d check out the bacon options again just in case something had changed. But they all have cane sugar in them! Not a huge deal, I know, but I would just like to find a good organic brand that doesn’t have sugar in them. Any ideas? :)
    Eating 4 Balance recently posted..Holy Buckets of Rain Water Batman (WIR)My Profile

• purelytwins says

it is hard to find bacon without some cane sugar in them, especially at whole foods, but US Wellness meats online has a sugar-free bacon that is pretty good.

3. says

Quick question I made the plantain bread yesterday for the first time – it cooked really well 375 for 30 minutes but mine stuck to the bottom of the 8×8 pan and it wouldn’t come out. I greased the pan with coconut oil but the bottom tore off, so there was no way to slice it into a sandwich, should I try parchment paper next time? My plantain was black and the bread did taste good kinda sweet like pound cake even though it was just the plantain and 2 eggs, so I thought well I couldn’t make a sandwich since it was all ripped up but it did toast well in the toaster. What size pan are you making your bread or any tips so I can make this bread into a sandwich?
    Chelsea recently posted..The Weekend CleanseMy Profile

• purelytwins says

Chelsea, well we use more of a green/yellow plantain as they are more starchy so they hold up better. The black was are more sweet, so maybe try a yellow-green one.

• Morgan Farrahar says

I had this same problem. I fixed it by using parchment and baking in a 9×13 casserole dish. It made it nice and thin and perfect for sandwiches. So excited to hear that you can toast it!

4. Sue says

Found your site while looking for a bacon and avocado recipe and yours looks so good I am going to try it today. As to your itching, not sure where you itch but I have had a life time of itching on my arms and legs – the rest of my body is fine but the itching can become intolerable and you just want to scratch and scratch – I’m 67 now and I was diagnosed with Aquagenic Pruritis which basically means my histamines don’t like being in (are allergic to) water so I take histamines every night – as they cause drowsiness – to help with the itching. Over the years I have found switching between brands helps as the body gets used to the one you are on at the time.

Hope this helps,

Sue

• purelytwins says

Sue thanks for commenting!! My itching is just on my legs, it does not really happen when water hits my skin, really it seems to happen all the time, still trying to figure out the main cause. I do notice hot and cold temperatures effect my itching. How did you go about getting tested for Aquagenic Pruritis??

Thanks and hope you enjoy the recipe :) Michelle

• Sue says

Hi Michelle,

I used to ask friends if they itched after bathing, showering and swimming and they all said no so I put up with it most of my life till about 15 years ago when I mentioned it to my GP and he put me on a waiting list to see a skin consultant who said he had good news – he could give it a name and bad news – there was no cure! When I saw him he said there were only about 3 others in Wales and a handful in the rest of Britain with this problem. I suffered slightly less in warm weather,I tried lots of remedies, no scented bathing and cleansing items, bicarbonate of soda in the bath water, different types of so called “gentle” cleansing items but none worked. The consultant saidI could try a course of ultra violet light treatment or antihistamines so I opted for the latter and it is ok most of the time. I find if I dry myself with a flannel, then a hand towel and then a bath towel and rub myself really dry then smother myself with body lotion it most often keeps the itching at bay, bit of a palaver I know but worth it most of the time.
        Good luck finding the root of your itching.
        Sue