Hello purely fit friends!

The abs are always one body part that seem to get talked about a lot. Everyone has their own opinion on what defines sexy abs. Some like no definition, some like a little, some want full blown 6-packs, some just don’t care, etc.

For us, having some ab definition is sexy. We like muscles. We think they are sexy. We know there are naysayers out there but that is our opinion. We feel there is nothing wrong with a lady having some ab definition.

Here is a collection of our PLANK workouts that are great workouts for the core muscles. We find doing planks are an effective way to work the abs.

effective ab plank workouts to get strong core purelytwins

Of course there are plenty of other great exercises that work the core. But planks are our favorite 🙂

Side note – hopefully this post will help you find all our different plank workout routines easier now that they are here together.

Plus, we finally made a printable for our 8 minute plank workout. One of our most popular ones! Oh yay – love those planks!

Our love of planks history:

Started with learning to hold plank for 2 minutes straight. That started our love of planks. We did this every day, slowly increasing our time.

Then worked on building up our core strength to be able to hold plank straight for 5 minutes. Took a few months to get there. But we did!

Then created our first 5 minute plank workout, which is another popular plank workout.

Seeing everyone love our first one we decided to do another 5 minute plank workout to continue to define abs with the addition of pull-ups and push-ups.

8 minute plank workout that will work the abs and full body purelytwins. Plus a collection of other amazing plank workouts you can do at home. These workouts are perfect to do the days you don't feel like working out or you only have 5 minutes.

plankworkout-8 minute  (click here for a printable PDF)

We did not stop there, as we wanted to really push the limit. We did a 8 minute plank workout.

Over the time of sharing our love for planks we received several requests for more beginner plank workouts. so we created a plank and bridge interval that is great for moms and people starting out. And here is another easy plank to start your journey to strong abs through planking.

Then we upgraded and did a full body plank workout.  12 minute interval plank workout that not only fine tones the core but the whole body.

Next we created a 12 minute interval plank cardio workout that mixes basic core strength and cardio to help shred.

And most recently we created a different style of plank workout that works the full body and fine tones.

Other great ab workouts are:

10 minute flat ab routine

12 minutes to rock solid abs workout routine

Going along with sharing our effective ab workouts, diet is just as important.

Twins question: What is your favorite way to work the abs? Have you tried any of our plank workouts? Do you like ab muscles? What do you think makes sexy abs?

till next time,

your coaches and friends, xo

L&M

purelytwins

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

24 thoughts on “most effective ab workouts – collection of our plank workouts

1. Thanks for these, girls. I really want to tone my abs. So I will definitely be trying these. I’ve been doing a lot more planks recently, as I’ve been doing a lot more yoga.

Posted on June 26, 2013 at 10:36 am
    1. awesome Nikki!!

Posted on June 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm
  2. This was a great idea to put together one page that links to all of your awesome ab/plank workouts. Thanks, girls!

Posted on June 26, 2013 at 11:31 am
    1. thanks!!

Posted on June 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm
  3. Hi you both,
    just HAVE to say I love love love your Blog! I just started training like one and a half year ago and since a while now, I started experimenting with my nutrition to find out what fit’s me. And sincerely: you are such a great inspriration! Finally two girls that finally seem to be like really “normal”. It’s just, that you give me a lot of inspiration and motivation, to keep on staying focused and to cherish myself and my body! Thank you!

Posted on June 26, 2013 at 11:58 am
    1. thank you so much Inga!!! HUGS

Posted on June 26, 2013 at 1:36 pm
  4. That 8min plank workout looks killer!

I have a reader’s request for you ladies. I just got my first shipment of gelatin and had some last night and this morning w a little bit of water and smashed blueberries. I’m kind of struggling with the flavor (even though it’s mild) & consistency. Could you ladies possibly do a post with all your favorite ways to consume gelatin including different “mush combos” and other ways to consume it?

Posted on June 26, 2013 at 4:12 pm
  5. Oh wow, these Plank Workoutsbare great!!! I love to add some abwork after my morning run, so this is perfect! I also love Ab Exercises with the TRX. I start to see my upper abs and I am so excited. I totally think women with abs are sexy!!

Posted on June 26, 2013 at 4:29 pm
  6. oohhh my abs are burning just looking at that 8min plank workout! i really like doing reptile pushups or plank walk ups (where you start on the forearm and then go into a terminal arm extension and back down again) really engages the core!

Posted on June 26, 2013 at 8:23 pm
    1. oh yes that is another favorite one of ours too!

Posted on June 26, 2013 at 9:13 pm
  7. I love so many of y’alls ab & plank workouts.
    I just did planks with a leg lift using a resistance band today – oy, the resistance band really increased the challenge!

Posted on June 26, 2013 at 8:48 pm
    1. oh I bet it does! we will have to try that!

Posted on June 26, 2013 at 9:13 pm
  8. Perfect timing! I was just wondering where to begin on the planks. I remember the first post a LONG time ago, but couldn’t remember when you ladies had posted it. This is perfect!

Just to clarify, planks work the whole core, right? Including the back? I really need to work on balancing out my back muscles.

Posted on June 26, 2013 at 8:57 pm
    1. yes planks work a lot of different muscles, add in some bridge and supermans to work the back even more!!

Posted on June 26, 2013 at 9:14 pm
  9. I always use your 5-minute plank exercise as my morning warm-up before hitting the gym with my trainer. Your planks are the best!

Posted on June 27, 2013 at 7:37 am
    1. thanks Liz!!! HUGS XO

Posted on June 27, 2013 at 7:57 am
  10. I love doing planks also, I think I would def have to work my way up to 5 minutes. I think I might do this one tonight 🙂

Posted on June 27, 2013 at 7:45 am
    1. thanks Sara 🙂

Posted on June 27, 2013 at 7:57 am
  11. This plank workout looks amazing, I can’t wait to try it out!! What are your favorite moves to target the lower abs?

Posted on June 27, 2013 at 12:03 pm
    1. for lower abs we love the classic lower ab raises, do about 4 sets and 20 reps with little rest in between 🙂

Posted on June 27, 2013 at 9:06 pm
  12. Plank is a fantastic way to strengthen the whole midsection. My weakest point are my obliques and hips. I started to do a lot of side planks a months ago, I see really good results. Plus, I strengthen my lower back. I recommend these workouts.

Posted on July 20, 2013 at 1:15 am
  13. Hey girls! I love your site and your beautiful bodies! I have just joined the gym and would like to incorporate your exercises (really focusing on abs) into my workout but you have so many videos I don’t know what is best and where to start??? Please help me??? I’m on a life mission to sculpt my body back into top peak! and eventually look like yours!

Posted on October 22, 2013 at 10:54 pm
  14. Wow! That’s a cool workout! So far, I’ve managed to keep a firm belly with yoga at home, like from YogaIsle.com. Do you think yoga is enough or should I ad some ab workouts, too?

Posted on October 25, 2013 at 5:58 am
    1. Robin yoga could be enough! just depends on the person, but if you wanted to you could do some ab workout once or twice a week.

Posted on October 25, 2013 at 7:30 am