Hello luvs!

Sorry again for the late posts this morning – make sure to check out our newest plantain bread flavor!

Now onto our fourth Purely Talk Q&A video.

purely talk-01

Today’s discussion is about FATS. Focus on healthy FATS of course ๐Ÿ˜‰ ย It’s no surprise that we have turned into fat lovers. Over the past few months we have been playing around with eating all types of fats to see what our bodies like best.

But one thing we do know with having a high fat diet has really helped control our cravings, makes us feel happy, and gives us energy. And has helped with our skin.

So for us having these results with high fat makes us FEEL our bodies like it.

discussion eating healthy fats

How to overcome the fear of eating healthy fats:

• Know that eating healthy fats is not going to make you fat!!! You have to look at your whole diet and lifestyle because something else you are doing or not doing maybe the cause.ย
  • Start small. Add in more healthy fats slowly. We all will handle different amounts, not everyone can handle most of their calories coming from fat like we do. But having a good amount of fats in your diet we feel would be beneficial. Play around with different ratios of fat in your diet until you feel your best.
  • Your brain is made up of fat, so kind of makes you think you NEED fat, right? Brain is about two-thirds composed of fat. The brain can run on both fat and glucose.
  • Remember to enjoy the fats YOU like. If you don’t like bacon then don’t eat it. If you don’t like coconut then don’t eat it. There are plenty of other healthy fats to pick from.
  • Look at fats differently. Look at them as healing, as nourishment to the body.
  • Start cooking your foods in coconut oil, ghee or other animal fats and see how your body does over time with it.
  • We like to eat fats because fats help absorb other nutrients you are eating in other foods. This again goes with fats can be nourishing to the body.
  • Healthy fats are tasty so that helps us with eating them ๐Ÿ™‚
  • Also, remember fats are nutrient dense, so the size of your meals might look smaller. But they are just as satisfying!

There are all different types of healthy fats and we all probably have different views on what is a healthy fat.

Non-fat and low-fat foods are not real food. We feel it is best to eat FULL real fats and enjoy them in your diet.

But as you can guess – we love COCONUT OIL.

purely talk 4-2
But we also love these healthy fats:

• ghee
  • full fat yogurts (mainly goat or sheep yogurt, and coconut)
  • tahini (sesame seeds)
  • avocado
  • sunflower seeds
  • hemp seeds
  • chia seeds
  • cashews
  • walnuts
  • pistachios
  • pecans
  • almonds
  • homemade nut and seed butters
  • fatty pieces of grass-fed meat and fatty fish like salmon and sardines

Just to name a few.ย

Many people we see consuming nut butters all day, we can’t. We prefer coconut oil (our bodies do better with more coconut over nuts). We find nuts and seeds can cause some inflammation in us… causing breakouts and tummy issues. So we keep our intake low of those plant based fats. But that does not mean we do not like nuts or seeds. Our bodies right now can’t handle largeย quantitiesย of them. Again you have to find what your body likes.

Just because we do not eat something does not mean we do not like it, or think it is bad to eat. It is just something we can’t eat all the time or at all.

You have to find what foods work for YOUR body.

Enjoy the video!

If you have gut/digestive problems (like we did) we do feel eating high fat will help! But not just any fats – more animal fats than plant. Just to help get things balanced again, as you have to watch your omega 3-6 ratios.ย Again it will be different for everyone. This is just our two cents that we have personally experienced and had great results with eating this way so far.

Here are some articles for you to read about fats: (some explain things a lot better than we ever could)

Overcoming your fear of fat

How to eat more fat

Paleo diet and fat

A nice guide to fats

6 risks of eating a low fat diet

Pros and cons of a low fat diet

High fat diet safe

Fats in Vegan dietย (how low should you go)

We tried researching benefits of eating a low-fat diet to share the other side of the story but to be honest we had a hard time finding good articles. If you have some please share as we like to see both sides to a story. And either way you eat – for us it is powerful know both sides so you can find what you like best.

Remember it is all about balance and discovering what YOUR body likes! #BEPURELYYOU

Twins question: Do you eat a high fat diet? How do you overcome the fear of eating more healthy fats in your diet? What is your favorite fat?

till next time,

L&M

purelytwins

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

33 thoughts on “How did we overcome the fear of eating fats: Purely Talk 4

1. I totally agree that healthy fats are super important. I think it’s great that eating them are making your issues go away and feeling great. I am wondering if you’ve had your cholesterol checked? I eat lots of healthy fats, but not as much as you…I don’t mean this in any negative way…just genuinely curious if the fat is affecting heart health negatively. My cholesterol has remained low with my ingestion and am curious about yours as well.

Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted on June 13, 2013 at 9:19 pm
    1. that’s a good question, we have not had our cholesterol checked recently, it has been on our list to get tested but keep forgetting. it would be interesting to see ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted on June 13, 2013 at 10:21 pm
    2. Cholesterol is a vital bodily function and high or low levels is not a good indication of general health or heart health. Low cholesterol levels are actually not good at all, read some articles about the cholesterol myth its responsible for demonizing healthful foods (like eggs) and pushing multibillion dollar Big Pharma drugs.

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 8:30 am
      1. Thanks Kat for sharing, we will check out the link.

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 9:20 am
      2. Thank you Kat for sharing, we will check out the link

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 9:21 am
  2. love you two! love fat, and yay COCONUT!! I am obsessed! and GHee!

Posted on June 13, 2013 at 10:01 pm
    1. fat party haha HUGS ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted on June 13, 2013 at 10:21 pm
  3. I am eating way more healthy fats and oils than I have since the early 80’s and was low/no-fat brainwashed. And I am healthier and feel better than ever. Booooooo to Susan Powter.

Posted on June 13, 2013 at 11:10 pm
    1. Elle awesome girl, glad you are feeling better!

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 9:17 am
    2. Awesome Elle glad you are feeling better!

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 9:20 am
  4. Love it! I’ve been adding more fats into my diet lately and am so liking how I feel! yay! And um you two are too cute!!!!!!

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 5:30 am
    1. xoxo Kristin

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 9:18 am
    2. Awesome to hear this!

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 9:21 am
  5. I am actually in the process of reading a fantastic book by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride called Put Your Heart in Your Mouth, and it’s completely changed the way I view cholesterol and dietary fats. We’ve accepted “scientific fact” that dietary fats cause heart disease without the theory ever truly being proven. In fact, we’ve seen a great increase in heart disease since the low-fat diet push that began in the 50’s. Dietary fats, especially saturated fats are essential for healthy brain and cellular function. Our body actually uses cholesterol to repair! It’s an excellent book, and I’d recommend it. From personal experience, I’ve seen nothing but positive effects from increasing my consumption of animal fats (and coconut oil). I think clearer and experience more energy. My body also heals faster and I’ve been less sick.

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 7:15 am
    1. Same here Courtney! Thank you for sharing the book we will have to look into it

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 9:19 am
    2. Awesome Courtney! Thank you for sharing the book we will have to check it out.

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 9:21 am
  6. i’ve never tried ghee before! i LOVE avocados and any nuts/seeds and their butters – MMM!

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 8:30 am
    1. YAY for avocado love ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 9:19 am
    2. Linz – yay for avocado love

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 9:21 am
  7. I have a very definite line for how much fat my body can handle. I’ve played around with it and have found my happy place with it. Coconut oil definitely works for me along with eating some nuts and seeds. Chia seeds are my favorite as far as helping my body with inflammation. When I don’t have chia, I can tell a HUGE difference in pain related to inflammation. The human body is fascinating!

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 9:17 am
    1. Sarena amazing!! So glad you have found what works for you! We love chia.

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 11:22 am
  8. This was a great post! Thank you! I’ve been trying to incorporate more healthy fats into my diet (slowly). Right now, my favs are coconut oil and avocados (I love them!).

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 9:22 am
    1. Holly join the coconut oil and avocado fan club ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 11:21 am
  9. i LOVED this video! i think each one keeps getting better and better. you are both so knowledgeable, informative, and non-judgemental. it’s why i love your blog so much! even though i’m vegan, i totally understand what you are saying and can apply it/research it for my own diet. xo.

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 11:36 am
    1. we love you Caitlin!!!thank you!!

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 4:43 pm
  10. Love love love this post!! For awhile I was afraid of fats and didn’t eat alot of them due to the mainstream view on them especially saturated fats. Then I started reading article and blogs advocating thats fats are sooo good for you and you shouldn’t be afraid of them. So i just decided to jump in and eat them to test them out. I started eating mainly coconut oil (absolute favorite!), butter, and some bacon fat, I noticed my skin clearing up and feeling softer as well as having more energy and my gut feeling better. I didn’t used to be a fan of coconut oil but now I have to have it at every meal and sometimes I lick it off my plate ( yes very improper I know but it just taste so good and I don’t want to waste it ๐Ÿ™‚ Keep up the good work ladies!

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 12:30 pm
    1. haha it is okay we lick our plates too ๐Ÿ™‚ yay for fat love!!

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 4:44 pm
  11. I’m joining in on the fat party!! Bring it on ๐Ÿ™‚
    Coconut oil, avocado, chia, grass-fed beef fats, camelina oil, olive oil… my top choices right now!

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 1:49 pm
  12. I eat so much more fat than you’re “supposed” to eat. But honestly, I feel like my body needs a higher fat diet – and they’re all good fats! I eat so much avocado, nuts, seeds, and healthy oils all the live long day. I love it!

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    1. so glad to hear it Chelsey!! We eat well over the ‘supposed’ amount as well and love it ๐Ÿ™‚ HUGS

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 6:01 pm
  13. Avocado, coconut everything, nut/seed butter, evoo, flax oil, chia, and hemp! I love healthy fats! I attribute overcoming my fat fear to you girls! Thanks,for that! ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 5:44 pm
    1. so happy to hear it Candice!!

Posted on June 14, 2013 at 5:58 pm
  14. Macronutrients confuse me.
    How many grams of fats/protein/carbs do you guys (roughly) take in daily?

I am trying to find my balance; it’s hard.

Posted on June 20, 2013 at 6:35 am