Sorry again for the late posts this morning – make sure to check out our newest plantain bread flavor!
Now onto our fourth Purely Talk Q&A video.
Today’s discussion is about FATS. Focus on healthy FATS of course 😉 It’s no surprise that we have turned into fat lovers. Over the past few months we have been playing around with eating all types of fats to see what our bodies like best.
But one thing we do know with having a high fat diet has really helped control our cravings, makes us feel happy, and gives us energy. And has helped with our skin.
So for us having these results with high fat makes us FEEL our bodies like it.
How to overcome the fear of eating healthy fats:
- Know that eating healthy fats is not going to make you fat!!! You have to look at your whole diet and lifestyle because something else you are doing or not doing maybe the cause.
- Start small. Add in more healthy fats slowly. We all will handle different amounts, not everyone can handle most of their calories coming from fat like we do. But having a good amount of fats in your diet we feel would be beneficial. Play around with different ratios of fat in your diet until you feel your best.
- Your brain is made up of fat, so kind of makes you think you NEED fat, right? Brain is about two-thirds composed of fat. The brain can run on both fat and glucose.
- Remember to enjoy the fats YOU like. If you don’t like bacon then don’t eat it. If you don’t like coconut then don’t eat it. There are plenty of other healthy fats to pick from.
- Look at fats differently. Look at them as healing, as nourishment to the body.
- Start cooking your foods in coconut oil, ghee or other animal fats and see how your body does over time with it.
- We like to eat fats because fats help absorb other nutrients you are eating in other foods. This again goes with fats can be nourishing to the body.
- Healthy fats are tasty so that helps us with eating them 🙂
- Also, remember fats are nutrient dense, so the size of your meals might look smaller. But they are just as satisfying!
There are all different types of healthy fats and we all probably have different views on what is a healthy fat.
Non-fat and low-fat foods are not real food. We feel it is best to eat FULL real fats and enjoy them in your diet.
But as you can guess – we love COCONUT OIL.
But we also love these healthy fats:
- full fat yogurts (mainly goat or sheep yogurt, and coconut)
- tahini (sesame seeds)
- sunflower seeds
- hemp seeds
- chia seeds
- homemade nut and seed butters
- fatty pieces of grass-fed meat and fatty fish like salmon and sardines
Just to name a few.
Many people we see consuming nut butters all day, we can’t. We prefer coconut oil (our bodies do better with more coconut over nuts). We find nuts and seeds can cause some inflammation in us… causing breakouts and tummy issues. So we keep our intake low of those plant based fats. But that does not mean we do not like nuts or seeds. Our bodies right now can’t handle large quantities of them. Again you have to find what your body likes.
Just because we do not eat something does not mean we do not like it, or think it is bad to eat. It is just something we can’t eat all the time or at all.
You have to find what foods work for YOUR body.
Enjoy the video!
If you have gut/digestive problems (like we did) we do feel eating high fat will help! But not just any fats – more animal fats than plant. Just to help get things balanced again, as you have to watch your omega 3-6 ratios. Again it will be different for everyone. This is just our two cents that we have personally experienced and had great results with eating this way so far.
Here are some articles for you to read about fats: (some explain things a lot better than we ever could)
Pros and cons of a low fat diet
Fats in Vegan diet (how low should you go)
We tried researching benefits of eating a low-fat diet to share the other side of the story but to be honest we had a hard time finding good articles. If you have some please share as we like to see both sides to a story. And either way you eat – for us it is powerful know both sides so you can find what you like best.
Remember it is all about balance and discovering what YOUR body likes! #BEPURELYYOU
Twins question: Do you eat a high fat diet? How do you overcome the fear of eating more healthy fats in your diet? What is your favorite fat?
till next time,