food ideas for healing the gut and where to buy ingredients

food-ideas-for-healing-gut-04

This is a post topic we have been meaning to write in honor of doing our 30 day+ healing the gut journey.  (check here for a recap of our journey and we did a video here)

We were not  sure how to go about doing this post. But think we gathered a few lists and food ideas to hopefully help some of you that may being interested in seeing more of what we did and how you can adapt it to your body for your gut healing journey! And this post can be used as a resource for you to look at for ideas.

NOW REMEMBER THIS WAS HOW WE DID OUR  JOURNEY TO HEAL OUR GUT AND SKIN ISSUES! WE RECOMMEND ADJUSTING IT TO YOUR BODY!

*Please use some common sense. If you have severe health problems seek a doctor for help and guidance. These are just some of our guidelines – NOT RULES.

There are numerous ways of healing. We have said this before we think each way (raw, vegan, paleo, and everything in between) has their pros and cons all depending on the individual body. You have to figure out what path you are comfortable with trying and go for it. And of course realize you can make adjustments along the way.

ALSO REMEMBER NOT EVERYONE WILL HAVE TO DO THIS! Not everyone has extremely poor digestion, gut, or skin issues like we did. Everyone’s level of health is different too. Keep that in mind. Everyone is different. Everyone will do different things. And that is ok. As long as you stay true to who you are and respect your body along the way. If you are feeling great then keep doing what you are doing!!

Do not feel pressured to eat or try something just because others are doing it! But at the same time, do not shut down ideas. Be open.

We are not really sure yet if we feel there is a good or bad way to heal (meaning in terms of going more paleo vs raw or vegan foods). We are just two girls who wanted to improve our health, and from all the research and talking with people these are the steps we decided to take. We are not sure what our future eats will looks like. But we do feel our 30 day journey of eating real foods and avoiding a lot of possible culprit foods for us was key to healing.

Why did raw foods not heal us  years ago? Why did vegan foods not heal us ? Gluten-free?  Over the 5 years+ of experimenting with different diets and doing different cleanses, this time was different. Honestly one reason was because we were truly ready to stop eating certain foods and heal. So who knows maybe if we were stronger years ago, things would be different. But we do not live in the past, just dealing with the present and focusing on the future –> now with more positivity and hope than ever before! (we plan to do a follow-up to these topics soon as this post is already heavy on info)

List of foods we avoided and enjoyed during our 30 day gut healing journey.

Kitchen Food Staples:

food-staples-for-healing-the-gut

Here below is what we focused on avoiding,again your list of foods to avoid may be different and that is FINE.

We hope this can be guidelines for your journey. A starting point in a way.

foods-to-avoid-30-days

These are the MAIN groups of foods that we avoided for 30 days. We focused in doing a mix of foods off the FODMAPS charts, histamine list, watched our overall fiber intake, took out a lot of common food allergies foods, watched our fructose level intake, avoided dairy (lactose) foods, was mindful of salicylates foods (mainly took out dried spices and avocados).

As you can see there are many lists of foods that can cause health and gut issues. So we just did our best and picked what foods we were most comfortable with avoiding. Again as we did our journey we learned and took even more foods out that we thought might still be causing issues (like we took out sauerkraut  and citrus towards the end as we thought histamine based foods could be causing our itchy skin).

foods-to-be-careful-with

We still ate broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts even though they were on a few ‘foods to avoid”- lists off other sites. But we felt we still needed to eat those a few times a week for more food choices since we took a lot of other veggies and foods out of our diet. We needed something for a little variety.  So again remember YOU can edit and make the journey to fit YOUR needs and likes!

We feel there is no wrong or right way to do it. You just have to start somewhere and go. We looked at our 30 day journey of healing the gut almost like a food elimination diet in a way. Now we are slowly bringing some foods back into our diet and watching how our bodies handle it.

How did we know to pick these foods to avoid? Why did we pick these foods – check out these post:

Plan to our gut

Our health goals

Fructose malabsorption and fodmaps  (where we realized that we would have to cut out a lot of carbs (in forms of fruits, sweet potatoes, etc due to fructose, again you may or may not have to cut out those foods)

Finding balance with eating fats

Healing your gut

30 day recap

The fun things that we allowed ourselves to enjoy from time to time during our 30 days:

• coconut flour
  • maple syrup
  • mesquite
  • carob
  • chia seeds

**now these were our treats please decide for yourself what foods you would keep in

Where we buy everything.

Our source for our online shopping:

Amazon for our gelatin and most of our supplements

US Welllness meats

Grass Fed Traditions

We shop locally for produce, eggs, and some fresh and frozen fish and meat.

Wilderness family for coconut products

fish and meat books

If you would like more help with fish and meat we recommend these two books!

Now for supplements that helped us in our journey to heal our gut.

supplements-to-heal-gut-02

We are still taking these pills and for now are continuing them. Our first bottles of licorice and quercetin are coming to an end, and we are thinking we might take one more round of them.

Places to buy supplements – Amazon, local health food stores, iherb

We shared before some of our favorite brands.

Gelatin – We like Great Lakes Kosher unflavored gelatin, but did find another brand that seems good too - Bernard Jensen Gelatin

Other foods that we ate from time to time:

Sardines, canned salmon and tuna –  we prefer Wild Planet, but sometimes budget requires us to get a cheaper brand.

Stevia – we like Sweetleaf

One quick word about all this – it will be expensive! We have read people’s recommendations of saving money when eating paleo and all, but we tried. IT IS STILL EXPENSIVE! One reason we feel it is hard to maintain this, but trying our best to find a balance not only for our health but for our wallets too.

We probably have missed some things, so please comment below if you have a question about something that we did not mention. And just because it was not mentioned does not mean we have something against it.  As you can see this is a lot of information, so easy to forget things ;)

44 Responses to food ideas for healing the gut and where to buy ingredients

1. jillian says:

Thanks for all the info! One issue i share is small red bumps (on my arms). If i remember correctly, you experienced something similar? Any luck with treating this? I’ve tried exfoliating, and all different types of natural creams as I believe it’s extremely dry skin. But i’ve suffered from this for my entire life, so any advice would be helpful! (my dermatologist prescribed a special cream that didn’t help!) Thank you!!

• purelytwins says:

Jillian sadly I still have the red bumps on my arms, I hate them. Nothing has changed :( sorry to report this

• Jane says:

What makes these bumps worse is antibacterial soap. My dermatologist had me switch to Dove Soap. It worked in eliminating the redness. The bumps are still there, BUT have gone pale (same color as my skin so aren’t visible) and have reduced in number. He also told me to cut my caffeine intake, but as a college student with 18 hours trying to graduate, I just can’t do this yet. :) The bumps are a form of dry skin, but not treatable with creams and lotions. I hope this helps! :) It helped me!

• purelytwins says:

thanks Jane!! very interesting, we shall give it a try thanks!!! we don’t want to give up our coffee either just yet ;)

2. Jaime says:

Great comprehensive guide! Just wanted to clarify that mushrooms are not nightshade vegetables; nightshades consist of tomatoes, peppers, potatoes (not sweet), and eggplant (along with goji berries and a couple of more uncommon ones).

3. Without probiotics & digestive enzymes & HCL I would be dead – seriously, these things save me! :)

4. Kyra says:

Thanks so much for writing this! Again, u gals should really write a book. :)

Do u use sea salt on all ur meals? It reportedly helps with adrenals as well asddigestion (helps with hcl production). Many experts recommend using at least 1tsp a day divided up on each meal/snack

5. I’m so proud of you girls and so happy that you are both feeling so happy and feeling better! Thank you so much for sharing your journey! As you know, our journeys are similar in so many ways! It has been helpful to know you have been on a similar path!!!
    Healthyleanfit recently posted..Day #16- Optimal health and nothing in between!My Profile

6. Melissa C says:

Hi Ladies! Just wondering, what was your reason for avoiding flaxseeds? After you complete your healing journey, will you continue with the paleo like diet or add grains back in? Thank you for this comprehensive guide!

• purelytwins says:

Melissa we do not plan to be paleo, just find what works for our bodies. Well we do eat brown rice protein, so yes we eat grains.

7. lindsay says:

healing is never cheap, but worth it, yes? and i love wild planet. I love l-glutamine too and HCL, my go to supplements.
    lindsay recently posted..News You can Use: Blend & Attune Foods GiveawayMy Profile

8. I really commend you girls for doing all of this! It’s such a drastic thing to do, but sometimes it’s the drastic things that work the most. Half of me wants to do something like this, as I have a lot of depression/stomach issues, but I am scared that I will be too triggered into an ED again, and plus my parents wouldn’t let me do it. I am, however, going to a naturopath to get some help! I want to make those marshmallows so badly, but we don’t get liquid stevia or good gelatin where I live!

• purelytwins says:

Aimee understand about ED but for us this was liberating as we were feeling better. So we still look at food as healing ;) Best of luck to you! HUGS

• Kaila says:

I totally understand that fear…when I first went Paleo, it was a desperate attempt to hold onto the last vestiges of my ED that veganism let me cling to for so long…but honestly, I’ve found that eating meats and fats has allowed me to think clearly and escape my depression for the first time in my life. I did the restrictive thing for a month to start healing some of my acne/hormonal issues, but after that point, something kind of switched in my head. I started listening to a lot of Paleo/ancestral health/weston a price/just eat real food type podcasts, and I realized that food is not about weight or body image…it’s about healing and then thriving. I have a chronic ankle injury that’s kept me from indulging in chronic over exercise like I used to, so now I eat lots of good, whole food and do low levels of exercise, and I don’t worry as much about it, because I’ve learned through the process to trust my body. If you ever decide to make the first forays into healing your body and mind through diet/lifestyle change, don’t do it alone. Seek out people who can support you and keep you from falling into ED’s clutches again. I started my own blog to keep myself accountable to a community of friends and family…and I haven’t looked back. Life gets better, and every day (and every meal) gets easier!
      Kaila recently posted..Sex vs. SexyMy Profile

9. Abby says:

I too am trying to heal my gut. I am on week 5 of the candida diet, which I recently found out I had.
    I’m thrilled to see so many of my symptoms going away.
    I just found this website today and have been enjoying the recipes and blogs.
    Thank you for sharing your ideas and for providing an encouraging environment for people searching for answers!!

10. Juliette says:

How do bananas make you girls feel? Great job on the commitment and results!

11. Kaila says:

Paleo’s not “cheap,” but then again, neither was being a vegan (at least for me). And compound that with all of the supplements and tinctures and remedies I had to start taking because being a vegan destroyed my gut and my hormones and caused the worst acne of my life…well…it’s worth spending a couple of extra bucks on the grass fed beef, in my opinion. I’m glad that you ladies are healing…it’s really nice to see. I’m still struggling with my own acne issues almost 3/4 of a year after going Paleo, but it’s because I still have unresolved hormonal imbalances. I’m hoping to get that figured out and get back on the path to healing soon. It’s frustrating to have to devote so much time, energy, and money into the project of healing, but I guess there are worse things we could be dealing with…Thanks again for the attention to detail and for sharing it with all of us out in the inter-web so we don’t have to feel like we’re dealing with these issues alone :)
    Kaila recently posted..Sex vs. SexyMy Profile

• purelytwins says:

agree, it is worth the extra bucks :)
      and glad that you are making some progress, and oh yes those hormones always seem to get in the way haha, we still struggle with hormones too! HUGS

12. Claire says:

I was just wondering if you are going to try reintroducing socca back into your diet? Or even chickpeas at all? Your recipes were inspiration for me experimenting with my own socca batches. I have had difficulty with legumes in their whole, but as a flour I haven’t had the same bloating reactions. Just curious about your experiences. Congrats on your dedication in this journey!

• purelytwins says:

yay for socca love! and yes we hope to have socca again in our diet, we just might not be able to eat it a lot, but as something here and there :)

13. Loren Ryan says:

Hi Girls,

Found your blog today and been reading through it and was interested to know if you have every hear of the FODmap foods?

I use to suffer from the same symptoms as you guys and since I have fallowed this FODmaps diet/lifestyle I feel 100% better.

Certain foods such as fructose/fructans can cause huge irritation to people to have IBS/stomach problems.

Check it out anyways..I think its wonderful and its changed my left to be honest.

Any questions just email me!

Loren Ryan
    Ireland

14. Lauren says:

Thank you for sharing! It’s so true that everyone is different. I’ve def been more open minded lately. Feeling good without beans and grains, but def miss them. I think they may make an occasional rare appearance in my diet, but I don’t see myself eating them as much as I was. Happy healing to you ladies. Lots of love always.
    Lauren recently posted..Cashew Dip Recipe and Valentine’s PlansMy Profile

15. Charlotte says:

I usually don’t comment on things, but, I’m wondering if you have tried zinc? Both topically and internally? I have three kids, and if they get a rash or sunburn anywhere on their body I use diaper cream. Not sure if you can find zinc cream in other forms…diaper cream smells, well, like diaper cream. Zincs properties are similar to that of silver, and they use silver on burn patients, it is a healing agent. Which brings me to the GI. I have GI problems, and my GI Dr has me taking extra zinc (with food) to heal my system. My Dr said it will be a long journey! I’m sure you can google it to check out more information on zinc. Good luck!

• purelytwins says:

thanks Charlotte, we have taken zinc in the pill form before last year for a few months. maybe we need to re-think about trying it again. thanks for sharing :) hugs

16. nilom kundu says:

Is your skin doing better? Do you still breakout?

• purelytwins says:

Nilom yes skin is doing better. We both still breakout, but for me (lori) my breakouts out less intense. Slowly getting better, so not healed 100%. But I am staying positive about any skin.

17. fartygirl says:

I’ve been pretty skeptical about FODMAPS. But I really like the way you approached it. You tailored it to what you know you can deal with – that’s awesome. It must be a good program if you can mess with it to meet your body’s needs AND it still works.

Lately – I’ve noticed something that Iris at the Daily Dietribe wrote about. Sweet potatoes and squashes are making me pee! A lot! There is something in limiting sugars. If not, it wouldn’t make us pee so much – I mean, that’s a sign of toxicity.

Thanks for the update on your system! Definitely inspired.
    fartygirl recently posted..I am on a mission…My Profile

18. Beth says:

No fruits at all? Not even your bananas and plantains that you eat? I am so underweight that it scares me to limit myself so much…but I hurt so badly. :(

• purelytwins says:

Beth for us avoiding fruit for our 30 day gut healing seemed to help due to the fructose malabsorption. If you can handle fruits then keep eating them. As we mentioned these are just guidelines, you still have to listen to your own body. We did not eat plantains during our healing as we really forgot about them during that time. We highly recommend you seek help from a doctor or nutritionist to help. Eating low fiber might help with your constipation. Taking a magnesium supplement can help too. This is not about food restriction, we never felt deprived during our healing. Always eat! Your body needs food, the key is to find what foods your body likes. This will change as your body changes and heals.

• Beth says:

Doctors have been no help. The tell me to take mirilax, Citrucel, pericolace laxative. Eat whatever doesn’t hurt. They threw me into the IBS category. They have no patience and pew pew any sort of diet to help my gi problems and healing from my damaged ED gut. I have yet to meet a nutritionist who can offer any help besides telling me what the ADA guidelines are. I was hoping that since you have been through this, you would be able to help and to understand my problems with traditional medical doctors. I don’t know if I can handle fruits…or what I can handle because I am in pain all the time and constipated. I have tried Eating for IBS, low fodmaps, Paleo for a very short time (maybe not long enough), guten free, dairy free….OY

19. […] What food to eat/avoid – the girls point out that this is purely (tee hee) what they have been trying, and might not be everyone’s solution. Happily, my diet is pretty similar to this anyway so there were no major problems with me using this guide. […]