Cauliflower pizza crust recipes are popping up on so many blogs.
We have made it a few times and loved it. Still working on our version of it. Just like cauliflower pizza crust is a low-carb alternative, our broccoli breadsticks are a close competitor. If we do say so ourselves.
But today it is all about broccoli! Another favorite veggie of ours. We thought why can’t we take the same idea as using cauliflower pizza crust idea and use broccoli as the base. Yes, we know it turns the bread green…but we like that! We like eating green foods
Recipe for a grain-free gluten-free broccoli breadsticks that are dairy-free and kinda paleo friendly too.
Plus it’s green. Oh did we say that already.
Now these are not like your typical gluten-filled processed breadsticks. Nope. These breadsticks are better. Promise.
They have great consistency! You can pick it up with your fingers too! Therefore, it makes a great appetizer or side dish to any meal.
We made these into breadsticks but you could leave it as one big crust to make a broccoli pizza crust just like the cauliflower pizza crust idea.
These breadsticks are soft and with a great balance of flavors.
We added in some nutritional yeast to add in more flavor but if you like (or can have) cheese feel free to add in cheese instead. We just can’t handle a lot of dairy and really like nutritional yeast.
These broccoli-breadsticks can be enjoyed plain. Or jazz them up with dipping in your favorite tomato sauce, pesto, or even just olive oil would be yummy.
We know, we know….sounds crazy! Who wants broccoli in their breadsticks? Promise if you just give it a try you will love it.
We almost forgot to mention how SIMPLE it is to make! Major bonus there!
Purelytwins recipe: Broccoli breadsticks (grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo friendly)
makes 12-15 breadsticks or one pizza crust
- 1 head of broccoli – chopped to make 4 cups
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (could do some cheese if you would like)
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk (can be omitted)
- 2 whole eggs (could try a flax-gel for replacement)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- handful of fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
- Have a baking sheet ready to place breadsticks on.
- Remove the some of the broccoli stem. Begin to chop the broccoli into chunks; depending on size broccoli head – you should hopefully get around 4 cups.
- Add the chopped brocoli to a food processor or Vitamix and pulse until the texture is similar to rice.
- Add in your nutritional yeast,psyllium husk, sea salt, and basil. Pulse till combined.
- In a bowl place your pulsed broccoli mixture with your eggs and water. And stir.
- Spread dough out evenly over baking sheet– can make as thick or thin as you like.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden, crispy on the edges and cooked through the middle.
- Remove the crust from the oven. And enjoy.
**to make vegan with the flax-gel we would suggest adding in some baking powder about 1/2-1 tsp to help lift the breadsticks as the eggs help hold it together but also lift.
A great healthy veggie snack that can be enjoyed anytime of the day!
Who wants some broccoli breadsticks?