broccoli breadsticks {grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free}

Cauliflower pizza crust recipes are popping up on so many blogs.

We have made it a few times and loved it. Still working on our version of it.  Just like cauliflower pizza crust is a low-carb alternative, our broccoli breadsticks are a close competitor. If we do say so ourselves.

But today it is all about broccoli! Another favorite veggie of ours.  We thought why can’t we take the same idea as using cauliflower pizza crust idea and use broccoli as the base. Yes, we know it turns the bread green…but we like that!  We like eating green foods ;)

Recipe for a grain-free gluten-free broccoli breadsticks that are dairy-free and paleo friendly too.

Plus it’s green. Oh did we say that already.

Now these are not like your typical gluten-filled processed breadsticks. Nope. These breadsticks are better. Promise.

They have great consistency! You can pick it up with your fingers too! Therefore, it makes a great appetizer or side dish to any meal.

We made these into breadsticks but you could leave it as one big crust to make a broccoli pizza crust just like the cauliflower pizza crust idea.

These breadsticks are soft and with a great balance of flavors.

We added in some nutritional yeast to add in more flavor but if you like (or can have) cheese feel free to add in cheese instead. We just can’t handle a lot of dairy and really like nutritional yeast.

Gluten and grain free breadsticks that have no flour but are made from broccoli.

These broccoli-breadsticks can be enjoyed plain. Or jazz them up with dipping in your favorite tomato sauce, pesto, or even just olive oil would be yummy.

We know, we know….sounds crazy! Who wants broccoli in their breadsticks? Promise if you just give it a try you will love it.

We almost forgot to mention how SIMPLE it is to make! Major bonus there!

broccoli breadsticks {grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free}

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Yield: makes 12-15 breadsticks or one pizza crust

serves 3 - 4

broccoli breadsticks {grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free}

A healthy recipe for broccoli breadsticks (grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo friendly). No flour breadsticks. A fun way to eat broccoli!

• 1 head of broccoli – chopped to make 4 cups
  • 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (could do some cheese if you would like)
  • 1 tablespoon psyllium husk (can be omitted)
  • 2 whole eggs (could try a flax-gel for replacement)
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • handful of fresh basil
  • 2 tablespoons water

1. Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
  2. Have a baking sheet ready to place breadsticks on.
  3. Remove the some of the broccoli stem. Begin to chop the broccoli into chunks; depending on size broccoli head – you should hopefully get around 4 cups.
  4. Add the chopped brocoli to a food processor or Vitamix and pulse until the texture is similar to rice.
  5. Add in your nutritional yeast,psyllium husk, sea salt, and basil. Pulse till combined.
  6. In a bowl place your pulsed broccoli mixture with your eggs and water. And stir.
  7. Spread dough out evenly over baking sheet– can make as thick or thin as you like.
  8. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden, crispy on the edges and cooked through the middle.
  9. Remove the crust from the oven. And enjoy.
  10. **to make vegan with the flax-gel we would suggest adding in some baking powder about 1/2-1 tsp to help lift the breadsticks as the eggs help hold it together but also lift.

A great healthy veggie snack that can be enjoyed anytime of the day!

Who wants some broccoli breadsticks?

1. says

These look super tasty! Yum. I’m obsessed with broccoli, even though I have to be careful when I eat it since I’m allergic to mustard greens and they can have cross contamination issues. It’s annoying ha.
    Just wanted to add too, I’m loving all your journey posts! It’s great you are finding success and being so open and honest about this journey. I know it’s tough, keep up with it!

• purelytwins says

thanks Lisa!!! we have to be careful with how much broccoli we eat too, we are realizing ;)
      and thanks for the support about your journey! love ya

2. says

Those look awesome, what a great idea to use broccoli like you do cauliflower to make a bread sorta thing! I can’t wait to try them. And maybe I’ll give a broccoli pizza crust a go, too. Thanks for the ideas!

3. Sara says

Hi, I think this is great I love anything with broccoli, so glad I came across your blog.

I really want to try this but what could we use in place of nutritional yeast though?

4. Laura says

Wow! These look amazing!!! I can’t wait to try them! I wonder if nutritional yeast and psyllium husks are paleo? Hmm either way, they look like a hit!!!! :) :) love you girls!

5. Linda S says

I can’t tell you how excited I am to try these. And I just bought psyllium husk (for a recipe of yours, I am sure but now can’t remember what!) so this is perfect :)

• Kyra says

No problem! Here is the link

The more I read about it, the more awesome it seems. It contains beta glucans, which boost the immune system. Also it is a complete protein. I would get the non fortified stuff though…. The fortified kind has way too much folate and synthetic folate has been linked to cancer growth. Whole foods sells a non fortified nooch in their whole body section. It’s like 13.99, and sold in a tan colored tub (looks like a coffee can). The other brands are all fortified. Also, excess folate has been linked to anxiety and depression in certain individuals, so I play it safe and buy the good old wfm brand. Even without fortification, it still contains a ton of naturally occurring vit/min

Yay for nooch. :)

6. says

I’m squealing with excitement over here! These look so so good! I’m a huge fan of cauliflower pizza crust/breadsticks, but have a feeling I’m going to like this version even more. I like my plate colorful, so the green thing is definitely welcomed!

7. Chris says

These looks awesome! I just purchased broccoli yesterday, so it look like it is having a different recipe fate than originally intended :)

I will make a vegan version and get back to you about how it works. Just curious, is the purpose of the egg a binder or leavener? This will help me determine the egg replacement. Thanks!!!!!

Also, when you measure the four cups, are they big broccoli pieces (florets roughly chopped) or small?

• purelytwins says

I would say the broccoli was medium to small chopped, not large pieces. And the two eggs in recipe are for binding the breadsticks together :)

8. Kerri Di Costantino says

how can you replace the eggs? can you use chia seed gel? or what else would give them the same consistency?? thanks!!

9. carrie says

I was staring down some broccoli this morning. This is perfect. You guys are the best (and i have been love love loving following along with the healing journey. you guys are truly the best!) I’m learning so much!

10. Kristen says

I don’t know if anyone else has tried this with the flax gel or not, but my experience wasn’t great. These were super flat, even with the baking powder. They were soggy despite cooking them for the full term. I turned down the heat of the oven to 250 and tried to dry them out for a while, but that resulted in more of a cracker. Don’t get me wrong – I still ate them. But they don’t look anywhere near as lovely as the ones in your photos. I don’t know that I will be making them again unless I decide to eat eggs again.

• purelytwins says

Sorry to hear this Kristen, we have had others made it both with a flax gel and chia seed gel and had great results.

11. says

Brilliant! These are amazing. I’ve made them three times and I love them. I also love how easy they are to make. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. What a great way to get more veggies in!

• Kelly says

I froze some over the holidays when we were traveling and they freeze like any other bread… just thaw them out and you can warm them in the microwave, oven or pot them in the toaster for a minute or so… works great!

12. Trisha says

so…I made these yesterday. I’m pretty sure that by the end of the day I ate just about the entire batch. They are SO good!!!!!! Will be a staple for sure….Thanks!

13. katie says

thank you so much for this recipe! i cut some into “breadsticks” and ate the rest as a pizza crust! btw… i used cheese instead of yeast and no husk. :)

14. Colleen says

Just tried these today, so good! I omitted the psyllium husk, and I added 1/4 cup of shredded fresh parmesan cheese in addition to the nutritional yeast. I think even my veggie-despising husband will enjoy them, especially dipped in a little marinara! Next time, I think I’ll sprinkle the parm on the top so it gets a crispy crust.

15. Katie says

These are amazing! I ate them watching a movie with my family the other night and felt bad for a split second for eating carbs. Then I remembered they were just broccoli and eggs :) Definitely keeping these on hand, thank you so much :)

16. Kelly says

I have a question about the nutritional yeast. Did you use the flakes or powder? I have to order most things online because I live in a very rural area and none of the grocery stores around here carry nutritional yeast or psyllium husk so I wanted to know exactly what to use. Thanks so much.

17. mp says

I made these tonight and they did not work at all. About how many cups of Broccoli do you actually use once it has been put in processor? How many cups does the 4 cups make after it is chopped? I was very disappointed it didn’t work so any advice would be awesome! Thanks :)

18. Amy A says

I made a cheese fondue and served these as a starter at lunch (with regular breadsticks and crudites)- went down very well at lunch!

• Sara says

I left it out and sprinkled just a little bit of coconut flour into it (seemed a tad wet, I don’t have psyllium). They turned out wonderful and delicious!!
        Thanks so much for an easy packable grain free idea that isn’t high in carbs or fat! I have a sensitive stomach and these are perfect for me to take to a training camp this weekend :)

19. Avery says

Made this last weekend (subbing in fresh thyme and chives for basil since i didn’t have any fresh). It turned out delicious and the perfect texture for bread. I got three turkey sandwiches out of it. Will definitely make again!

20. Keri says

Oh my yumminess!! I just stumbled upon this recipe on your blog. It was so easy and yummy, easier and faster than cauliflower crust. I made mine with flax/chia eggs and added garlic. For some reason basil and broccoli need garlic! :) My second batch is in the oven because I’m quickly eating this first one. I haven’t had pizza in awhile so…just added sauce and almond cheese. Of course after I ate the crunchy edges! Thanks for all your great info! Can’t wait to try more recipes.
    Blessings to you both!