Day 1 of healing gut plus talking about skin rashes

Remember this our plan to heal our gut. Consult your doctor before beginning any program. Adjust to your own body and needs. We have done our own research and have come to these steps to help us in our journey to heal our stomach issues. Please do your own research before starting anything new. We are not really sure how long we plan to do this program. And over time we might be changing things depending on how our bodies are doing. We plan to share just about everything as we heal, so we apologize now if somethings are TMI. We want to be honest as we are using our blog as our journal.

Thank you to everyone for your supportive comments and emails about our healing journey. Many of you have mentioned the GAPS diet and bone broth and we are very familiar with these things (ee do plan to incorporate bone broth in soon). Actually about 4 years ago we knew a few people doing the GAPS diet, but at that time eating meat was not appealing to us. But things are different now, as we mentioned yesterday to really heal you have to be ready.

waterbottles

We probably won’t talk much about our water intake during this time, but do want to mention here real fast that we fill up 2 water bottles (32 oz each) and drink those, and sometimes we might get more water. But our goal is always to have  at least those two 32 oz water bottles.

Besides our stomach issues we also have other health issues we are looking to heal over these next few weeks.

Michelle: Eczema. I have never talked about it with anyone, but after seeing a Katie discuss what she is facing, she gave me the strength to share. Like Katie, I have struggled with itch dry skin since my childhood. I went to doctors and no one seemed to know why my skin did this (one doctor told me I was allergic to bugs!??) so I just lived with it. Slowly as I got older (still young though) I decided to take out peanuts. I thought I was allergic. So almond butter came my friend real young.  But my dry itchy skin never got better.  Then this past summer my legs itched like crazy, more than ever! (note: I do experience other seasonal allergy issues like stuffy head, nose running, itchy eyes, etc)

legs-eczema

picture of my legs, not the worst they have been but gives you an idea what I deal with daily.

The itching sometimes gets so bad it wakes me up in the middle of the night! nothing relieves it

My older sister told me to go see a dermatologist again, so I did. And the doctor told me I have eczema and told me I have to take allergy pills everyday!!!! Not the news I wanted to hear, but since then I have been on and off with taking things like Allegra and Zyrtec. Plus trying to be better at moisturizing my legs everyday (not the best at remembering lol) I was also given a steroid cream to rub on my legs when they are really bad. It works sometimes.  The doctor also told me I have Keratosis pilaris (red bumps on my arms and legs). For some reason my body has a hard time absorbing moisture and nutrients.These two skin issues plus having dry scalp and acne it is hard to stay positive.  Due to dealing with these issues for most of my life, I struggle with being confident. I am still embarrassed and really hope taking these steps to heal my gut will help these issues as from my research I have seen people say their issues improved. Here is to hoping!

back-acne copy (embarrassed to show this, but know it is apart of my healing journey)

Lori: Back acne /skin rash.  This is a recent skin issue that I have never had before. It came about a month ago and since then I have been trying to figure out why I am experiencing this back rash.  I am starting to clean by back with cleaning pads and putting coconut oil on my back every night . Just like Michelle I suffer from dry itchy skin. Though mine is not as bad has hers (I get red the bumps like Michelle but for some reason not as intense as hers).  Sometimes I feel I am like Michelle in that I am allergic to things outside like grass and pollen. Hope I can figure out why my skin on my back is going crazy.

cuteline3-01

purelyfitness-logo

tone it up valentine love your body workout

Friday we did a ToneItUp valentine workout with cupids cardio. For the cardio we did 5 intervals of 1 sprint and 2 min jog/walk.  And did 15 chaturangas!

eats-logo

coffeebanana

Michelle: 1/2 tsp fermented cod liver oil, probiotic, 2 cups of coffee and 1 Banana

eggmeal

Michelle: 2 whole eggs (1 egg yolk raw), 1 cup cooked kale, 3 1/4oz sweet potato, 1 tbsp coconut oil

blueberries

Michelle: 1 cup blueberries (were frozen that I defrosted) sprinkled with cinnamon

Before dinner took – digestive enzyme, l-glutamine, quercetin, spoonful of cod liver oil

dinner

Michelle: 2 glasses of red wine, 2 oysters, side salad with olive oil, grilled salmon with steamed broccoli, and a few bites of grouper and more broccoli.

Unpictured- dessert sludge – 2 tbsp coconut oil mixed with carob, mesquite, and coconut flour to make a thick frosting

Before bed rubbed magnesium oil on legs. Went to bed around 11pm.

Michelle: Day one recap -

Bathroom: did go to the bathroom in the morning

Energy: pretty good

Gas: yes started in late afternoon

Skin: skin still really itchy and dry, a few breakouts on forehead

Lori:

Started with about 1-2 cups water followed by black coffee and took probiotic and 1/2 tsp fermented cod liver oil.

banana

Post-workout  was a plain banana.

Followed by my egg sweet potato meal.

lunch

I enjoyed this meal about 20 minutes or so after eating the banana. Two whole eggs (with one of the egg yolks I enjoyed raw), 3 1/2 oz steamed sweet potatoes, about 2 cups wilted kale, topped with 1 tbsp coconut oil, sprinkles of cinnamon and cardamom. YUM!

grapefruit

Later in the day I enjoyed one grapefruit.

tea

Little bit later I enjoyed about 2 cups of peppermint tea with some stevia.

Before dinner I took my digestive enzyme, l-glutamine, licorice, more cod liver oil

dinner

Dinner was some lettuce mixed with half avocado, half canned salmon, sardine, sauted onions, and half zucchini. Topped with fresh basil, cinnamon, and 1 tbsp coconut oil.

Enjoyed some red wine last night as well. I did my best to eat my meal slowly and chew my food well. Got a little gasy afterwards.

dessert-mush

Dessert, well calling it dessert in my mind, was 1 tbsp coconut oil mixed with 1 tbsp coconut flour and carob powder. Strange but good.

Overall my energy for the day was good. I usually go poo in the mornings, and yesterday I did not really go much. (sorry for sharing this but it is apart of healing so I am talking about it to track my progress, plus I feel more people need to address their ‘poo’ issues and not be afraid to talk about it)

Before bed did take magnesium pills and sprayed some magnesium oil on body. And cleaned my back and put coconut oil on it.

Lori: Day one recap -

Bathroom: a few drops

Energy: overall good

Gas: yes started after dinner

Skin: back is the same, slowly starting to calm down. a few new pimples on face

Thanks for the support. This is really tough for us to share, but know it will help us to have something to look back on as well help others. We are not perfect but doing our best.

70 Responses to Day 1 of healing gut plus talking about skin rashes

1. Colleen says:

Can I ask why raw egg yolk? Does keeping it raw offer different benefits than cooking it?

• purelytwins says:

Colleen yes there are benefits eating raw egg yolks, somewhat controversial, but if you google it you will find information on it. We just like it, plus makes great salad dressing

2. Merina says:

Hello ladies. I recently started following your blog. You two are amazing!

I have some of the same skin issues and thought I’d share what is working for me.

Everyone in my family has dry skin and I’ve dealt with eczema and Keratosis pilaris since high school. I’ve seen many Drs who prescribed a veriety of creams which treated the symptoms but were not a cure for the underlying problem. Recently I’ve been diagnosed with IBS so gut healing has become my new obsession.

I was a vegetarian for years and it wasn’t until I mistakenly started taking fish oil caps (instead of flax) that my eczema started to clear up. I currently switch between the cod liver oil and NutraSea fish oil. Also, something I’ve recently noticed, if I eat citrus or avocado everyday I get a flare up. Weird right!? Stress will cause a flare too.

I got married last year and wanted to have flawless, glowing skin without any red bumps on my arms. A combination of dry-skin brushing, moisturizing with coconut oil, exfoliating with a salt scrub once a week and tanning a few times a week are helping. It’s a gradual process for me. I’ve ready that Keratosis pilaris may be due to a VItD deficiency which is why I started tanning. I live in Canada and it’s winter, aka no sun! My symptoms also seem worse in the winter.

Wishing you both the best on your gut healing journey!

• purelytwins says:

Merina this is so interesting as we have dealt with low levels of vit D before, but we have been taking fish oil for months now and no major improvements. Which is why we are taking so much out of our diet now, hoping we can find what is causing our flare-ups. If we still deal with our issues then we will look at the food we are still eating. Sure hope avocados are not an issue for us as we love them too much.

• Merina says:

I love avocados too!! I can still have them, just can’t over do it. I forgot to mention, when I found out about my IBS I started working with a dietician and she recommended the FODMAP diet. So I’ve already pulled a tonne of things out of my diet. I feel like I’m tweaking things now and figuring out what foods I can have sometimes, and which ones I have to avoid all together. I’ve tested adding wheat back in and I had wicked allergies, itchy skin and my eczema was worse but my digestion seemed fine. It was so crazy!

I’ve been healing for about a year, with a few set backs as I find out what works for my body. I’ve found none of this is an instant cure but with time all the subtle changes add up.

I’ll be keeping tabs on your journey :)

• Eimear Rose says:

Hi girls, I have heard inability to convert beta carotene into the active form of vitamin A is behind keratosis pilaris. Melissa McEwen has this problem and she did the 23andme genetic stuff and she does indeed have the gene that causes it (I think her blog is huntgatherlove). I think she works around it by making sure she gets her vitamins A from animal sources. That said, you are both taking fish oil which is really a better vitamin A source that it is vitamin D. I avoid fish oil myself because the oils are highly unsaturated and are mostly all oxidised by the time they are consumed (which would probably waste the vitamin A anyway, and I would worry about things like that being detrimental to skin healing (because damaged oils are highly inflammatory, contrary to popular belief- they produce free radicals as they get broken up). Certainly avoiding too much unsaturated oils has helped get rid of my painful periods (probably by inhibiting prostaglandin synthesis)and winter ezcema. Vitamin A is highly unsaturated itself, so it needs to be super fresh when consumed. Probably beef or lamb’s liver would preserve the vitamin A better because it’s mostly saturated fat which is more resistant to oxidation. It would need to be fresh and you only need to eat a little bit once a week or so.
        I’m afraid I gave up with tweaking my diet for constipation. High fibre foods tend to make my constipation worse, so there was little scope for playing around with different foods. Instead I take a herbal remedy called cascara sagrada every few days. Sometimes I get some cramping with it, but it is the only thing that works for severe constipation. It’s good if bulking laxatives and milder stimulant laxatives like senna don’t work. I was really at my wit’s end by the time I came to try it. Good luck with all your issues:)

• purelytwins says:

Eimear thank you so much for sharing about Vitamin A, we will have to work our way up to eating liver ;) Sorry to hear you have not found relief for constipation, but we feel your pain. We get tired too sometimes with testing food and how we do, but for some reason we are hoping this round is different Each day, each week we hope to get better at healing.

3. I feel for you two with this. It’s so frustrating and can be quite overwhelming, but sharing really does help you and others! I have finally found a good groove with my eats and for the first time in about 13 years, I can eat and not fear how I will feel later. Unfortunately, with IBS, I do have some bad days for no reason (normally brought on by hormones since I’m not on birth control), but all in all, things are good. Thank you for sharing this journey you two are on. Hopefully it will help you two and others that are going through the same thing. Hugs to you both!
    Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Friday Fodder!My Profile

• purelytwins says:

Sarena so happy to hear that you have found what works for you, gives us hope. We look forward to say we have finally found what works for us, knowing we will still have bad days.

4. Brooke Lyons says:

Hi Ladies,
    I am such an admirer of yours, all the way in Ontario, Canada. I have never left a post, but felt today I couldnt resist. Please know how many people you touch, encourage, and support with your words everyday. You both are so beautiful, and you have our support as you venture through this next challenge. I wish you all the best everyday, but today I had to put it into words. Thank you for all of your hard work. Sending you a big virtual hug for puting this post out there, I can imagine how hard it must have been.
    Brooke

5. allie says:

thank-you girls for being brave enough to share your journey with us – you will not only be healing yourselves but also others who have similar problems.

6. Michelle says:

I just wanted to say that you 2 ladies are so beautiful first of all, and so strong for sharing your struggles and being real about how you are and live. I think that what you are doing is very helpful and inspiring for others and myself to really analyze what works for our own bodies and how what we put into our bodies truely affects issues that others try to just heal with drugs or other un-natural substances that just mask the problem and dont actually fix it. Thank you for sharing your journey to health. And your fitness inspires me everyday!

7. Bonnie says:

I love your honesty to share in pictures, words and details about what you’re both going through…Just like reading about someone’s else struggles helped you share about yours, I know that by sharing your story you’ll disarm others and allow them to share and heal too! Hope you get some answers and see some change as you begin this process in a different way!
    Bonnie recently posted..My Fitness Moving ForwardMy Profile

8. Wendy says:

As I wrote on your post the other day, I’m in the SAME boat as you guys. Same same same!!! I’ve recently begun to heal my gut, using every technique and tool I learned in the book “it starts with food.” I started making my own bone broth too… Super easy.
    So I’m right here with you guys! So glad you’re posting about this! Keep it up!

9. Vanessa says:

Have you heard of food sensitivity testing called ALCAT? It tests the foods and herbs and spices you are sensitive to at the cellular level. It can be pricey if you do all the tests, But I feel it was worth it for me. You can also see what your body is deficient in. There is another test that tests your neurotransmitters and hormones that had helped me so much with depression.

Now I know what I should stay away from. It is an huge relief not to have to guess anymore. :))

• purelytwins says:

Vanessa yes Lori had a test done like that and Michelle got another kind of test (forget the name) and we did avoid the foods the tests said we were allergic too and did not help. we did it for months last year. So we had to digger deeper. It goes to show you cannot believe one thing, have to look at everything. But glad you found what works for you!

10. Marin says:

It almost felt like I was reading about myself. Somehow it feels there are too many factors to take into the equation when you are trying to heal your body, eat the right foods etc. I just need to keep reminding myself that it’s not my fault and there is only so much I have control over. Going gluten-free helped a lot, but I still can’t beat my dad’s on-the-clock-twice-a-day-poo-time, haha.
    Keep it up, you two. Let’s muddle along together, eh?

11. Claudia says:

Hi girls! I very very recently started reading your blog and now am kicking myself that i didn’t start sooner! I gave THE SAME problems as you guys– not the eczema exactly, but the skin issues, the gut issues — same. About 6 months ago i started eating a paleo diet (a result of lots and lots of research) and while things got better for a while, recently they have been the same as before. It is so frustrating to eat cleaner than 90% of the population and still experience these issues that supposedly should have been cleared up. In addition to my whole30 (which I am doing right now) I am doing a little bit of self-experimenting with low-FODMAP foods, as my research shows that they could be a cause of some of my issues too. I just hope now that something works! Good luck on healing your gut and just know that you are doing the best possible for your bodies! I really do think food is the best medicine, we just have to figure out the exact dosage ;) be well!!

• purelytwins says:

Claudia happy you found us ;) best of luck on your journey too. and we totally understand about eating clean but still dealing with problems. we are keeping in mind FodMap foods as we do this.

12. Jessica says:

Thank you for sharing your journey with us! I just recently started big dietary changes in hopes to heal my gut as well. While we have slightly different approaches, it’s nice to have a sense of community! I had one question for you two – I noticed that you both drink black coffee. This is something that I personally find to be really hard on my gut, and I know many other people struggle with it as well. Have you tried removing it before or is there a specific reason why you keep the coffee in?

Thanks! You two are amazing and so strong for sharing with everyone.

• purelytwins says:

Jessica yes a few years ago we took a whole year off from drinking coffee, and then the next year after that we slowing started adding it back (started with just on the weekends), and then slowly over the years we now enjoy it everyday. So from our past experience of taking coffee out, we noticed no difference in our gut when we drink it or not. Everyone is different in how react to things, so listen to your body. If it doesn’t like it, then you should avoid it.

13. Best of luck with all of this girls, I think it is wonderful that you are sharing your journey – even the really personal bits, and why not, we are all human after all!

14. Tamara says:

Girls, it is scary how similar we are. I have a ton of food allergies/intolerances (gluten, lactose, peanuts–nuts in general I realized). I deal with gas, pregnant belly look, go through constipation and diarrhea (spent three weeks in the hospital) and my skin look exactly like that. They told me it was just a rash, then it was psoriasis, then finally eczema but it won’t go away. I wake up scratching my body until it bleeds it’s so dry and flaky… ugh it is so nice to know I am not alone in this. I will follow with you ladies on this quest to healing my gut and finding solutions to these annoying problems!

15. Leslie says:

I love reading your blog!! I like experimenting with all of your different recipes and also find the way you document your health concerns so thoroughly to be very informative. Way to go for being so honest and open about all of your health concerns. I wish you both success in improving your skin and digestive issues. I think the TMI aspect of your posts is what makes them so helpful. Lots of times people only give you half the story so thanks for being so honest and inclusive! I have been a non dairy vegetarian for a few years and that seemed to solve most of my digestive problems though recently I have been having some unpleasant symptoms. I’ve been a little more lax with the healthiness of my diet lately and really need to start limiting the sweets and carbs. I’m feeling quite a bit of motivation to make some changes, especially after reading your blog posts. I look forward to following your health journey. Best of luck, Leslie

16. Emma says:

You don’t know how useful this is. I hope you continue to share regular eats and reports on how things are going (including BMs!). Of course everyone is individual but we can all still learn a lot from each other.
    I’m fortunate not to suffer from any skin issues really, just generally pretty dry skin but a friend of mine used to have pretty bad psoriasis and acne. She used to use evening primrose oil and it helped hugely. I don’t know if you girls have tried it?
    Emma recently posted..PhotoMy Profile

• purelytwins says:

Emma yes we plan to share this same layout of post everyday during this time. We will do the best we can at sharing everything. Glad it has been useful.

17. I, too, have eczema! I always have had it ever since I was a little girl, and now it is mostly just on my hands. It is really random, but I notice it is worse when I have a stomach flare up. At first I thought cutting out gluten helped, but now I eat gluten and it is just random. I’m definitely going to follow your journey – thanks for sharing girls!
    Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..2012 Highlights and Ringing in the New YearMy Profile

18. I absolutely love your courage to stand up and share your life and health struggles in such an open way. You’re truly an inspiration, girls! Wishing you all the best with healing your gut. I’m on day 4 of my sugar free cleanse and feeling really good. I find getting enough protein and fat helps.
    Heather @ Sweetly Raw recently posted..Christmas in CubaMy Profile

19. Malvin says:

I admire your honesty and courage so much!! You both rock :)!! I suffer from similar issues and I’m totally hiding it from everyone as good as I can. I just feel so embarrassed. So I am very excited to see how your plan will work for you both (and I really hope it will work)! I’m already inspired to try some of the same things that you do. Have you heard about Medical Intuitives? It (she) really helped me to identify my main problems. Because reading all the stuff on the Internet kinda made me think that I suffer from almost all possible issues out there.
    All the best to you in the New Year!

20. Keri Brousil says:

Michelle,
    I used to struggle with really bad eczema on my fingers and toes, for about ten years on and off. I heard that neem oil was helpful and so I bought this lotion (link below). It made it go away completely, and I haven’t had any trouble for over a year now. I had to be really diligent at first, applying it multiple times a day, but it really does help. My mom started to use it too and she saw the same results. I picked mine up at a little health food store, but you can order it online. I hope this helps! Eczema is such a battle sometimes.

• purelytwins says:

Keri good to hear this, I have tried neem oil and lotions before but never had luck. I guess I did not use them enough once I am through with some products I have I will try it again! Thank you for sharing and glad you are better!

21. Chris says:

Dear Lori and Michelle, Your vulnerability is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your healing journey with us. I wish you the best as you find your way. There are a lot of us out here who love you two. xo

22. I really love this way of healing! I too am going through healing because i react to..well.. everything. I only eat a few foods and even have problems touching and inhaling things. I too get eczema which is usually a food allergy. I have been doing GAPS for over 1 year and it did help my digestion by 90% but i started to react to everything in life and slowly my world get very very small. I personalized my diet to my needs and now i just eat bison and nettles. I eat the organs, meat (cooked and raw), fat, and make bone broth every day. I drink nettles for nutrients too. I only just added in nettles a few weeks ago too. The only thing that got me to trying them was allergy elimination called NAET. NAET has helped me start to live again. I was sensitive to soo much I could not heal my gut because everything i did aggravated it! Yeah I was an extreme but it is an idea because i was reacting to food and environment stuff i was eating like fish and coconut oil. It has really helped my dust and mold allergies, its amazing! I have not done the pollen treatment but i am going to soon. So these are just my thoughts after reading about what your both are undertaking, it cant hurt! I cant wait to see your progress :) here is the NAET link http://www.naet.com
    Caroline Lunger recently posted..Grain-Free Dessert recipe e-book sale!My Profile

• purelytwins says:

Caroline oh girl sorry to hear your pain, but glad to you have found relief!! Thanks for the link we will check it out.

23. Thank you for sharing! I hope to share more on my journey too! I think knowing that we are in this with others is soooo important! Plus, logging my journey will help me to track what’s happening! :-). Thanks for getting personal! :-)
    Healthyleanfit recently posted..Personal Journey – Part 3My Profile

24. MichelleS says:

Great blog, I loved the pictures of your meals to show exactly how you eat. I enjoy reading your recipes, especially the desserts. I have KP as well so I am interested to see how you go with the diet. Something that helped me lots is sesame oil. After a shower, literally slather it on and let it sink in (takes about 30 mins). It totally changes the texture of my skin.

25. Melissa C says:

I used to have bad eczema on my hands. I know that was my body’s way of telling me that I had undiagnosed celiacs disease. Even though I have eliminated gluten and dairy from my diet, I am still dealing with belly issues. I am so so happy that you are posting this series as I am also researching a plan to heal my gut. When you initially eliminated grains from your diet, did you notice you felt fatigued? Also,a yummy idea to increase your coconut oil consumption- add a tablespoon to your morning coffee. My husband gave me this idea! It adds a creamy taste to your coffee while giving you healthy fats! :)

• purelytwins says:

Melissa no, because we eat plenty of good carbs and fat to help with energy and fatigue. We have tried coconut oil in coffee once, and for us we prefer it plain ;)

26. amanda j says:

Lori and Michelle – I just had to give you both a MAJOR shout out for sharing sooooo much. All of us out here in the web land really appreciate it, and I’m confident your openness will help others out there (myself included!!!). big hugs to you both!!! *by the way, I LOVE all of the “love your body” stuff too – us gals need more encouragement (always) in this department :)

27. Lou says:

I agree – people need to get more comfortable about talking about poo! It’s one of the best ways to determine your digestive health I reckon ;)

Am looking forward to reading about your journey.
    Lou recently posted..Misty’s secret smoothie – and snarky remarksMy Profile

28. amanda says:

wow, you girls are so brave to be sharing your very personal story – thank you <3
    @lori: i too have struggled with acne, especially on my back, chin and jaw, which i believe to be related too digestion and hormone troubles. my experience has been similar – no doctors/specialists seem to be able to help, except for the acupuncturist/tcm herbalist i told you of from my last comment. i have slowly been finding relief, though i have a long ways to go. my goal is to be clear this summer so i can perhaps were a tank top this year – its all i want…the freedom! i have some scars that i am trying to treat. i made a homemade skin cream that has been lovely. would love to connect with you girls via email – perhaps we could help one another <3
    i'll continue to follow and wish you great success on your healing journey. you both are beautiful on the inside and outside. sending love
    xxx

29. lulu PINELO says:

hope u get better¡

30. lindsay says:

so glad you are sharing this! we all go through it! i think it’s hard not to with whats in our food these days. any luck with HCL or Colostrum. I order mine from NZ. Love your eats, so similar to mine and so healing. Yes poo in the morning is my thing too. I finally have normal bowels now. HOnestly, i think it was stress and weight related too. And after i had my colonoscopy my gut was replenished with good bacteria. PHEW!!!!
    lindsay recently posted..When things just ClickMy Profile

31. Mandie says:

I’m so glad you will be using your blog as a journal about how you’re healing your gut + skin. A lot of people struggle with the same problems, myself included. Seeing what you ladies are up to will hopefully help all of us confront our problems (no matter what they are) and take action. Thank you for sharing your journey; I know it’s not easy to put so much out there, but I hope it will help both you and the greater blog community. Good luck!

32. Anna says:

Hi Lori & Michelle,

I follow your blog for some time now, want to thank you for your time and courage of sharing so much stuff that is not addressed in many places. I would like to give a suggestion which can be taken or left. I have dealt with many skin problems until I found a clean, vegan diet combined with juicing and colonics. It seems like your body is cleansing but cannot release so much residue at once and that is where the skin problems begin or get worse. I was on a raw/vegan diet for a few months w/o colonics and my skin was out of whack. I needed them at least once a month and my skin is back to normal. Also, going to the bathroom experience should happen after each meal (the colon works on the 12 hour cycle), if not your digestive system is overloaded and not functioning properly. Try to eliminate coffee and have a green juice in the morning instead and see how the results are. Proper food combining helps with gas (fruit for dessert is a no-no, unless 3 hours later but not if having a cooked meal), also fennel tea or pills work great! I recommend Gaia Herbs Gas & Bloating Digestive Support. Herbs help tremendously in healing the gut and eliminating toxins from the body. Buy some tea that contain Dandylion, Echinacea, Licorice and Pau D’Arco.
    Sorry for being so wordy, again, these are my suggestions – I am not judging or criticizing. We are all here to help each other and you allow us by sharing thoughts over your blog.
    Good Luck!

• purelytwins says:

Anna we appreciate your tips and help!!! Thank you for sharing, and glad to hear you have found something that works for you. We did what you said about 3 years ago when we were raw vegans, we did colonics (we had another blog that we talked about this journey). And got some relieve but never cured. We are thinking it is more of the sugar and grains for us, but not sure. One reason we are experimenting. We are slowly getting back into juicing, and we got some peppermint tea to help with digestion. We are not big tea drinkers so it will be tough. Thank you again! :)

33. Danielle Turk-Bly says:

Don’t ever be ashamed for sharing…you are doing a great thing by sharing! I had an eating disorder as well as similar tummy issues to you ladies and I feel like it is important to share your journey so hopefully others won’t have to endure the pain…p.s. I went two weeks without pooping while recovering…I know how important pooping is!

34. Whitney says:

I understand the struggle with eczema. It can be so debilitating and frustrating. For me, it wasn’t until I went off dairy and eggs that my eczema completely went away. A year ago December I went off the two cold turkey. At the end of January I had the worst eczema flair-up of my life, but by March it had completely cleared up and has been gone since. I think the flair-up was my body’s way of detoxing.

35. Laura says:

Thank you so much for sharing your gut healing journey. I love your honesty. I am having some pretty horrible gut issues right now so I am watching eagerly to see if what you are doing helps you guys out.
    Laura recently posted..Christmas GuffMy Profile

36. Anna Crouch says:

No need to apologize for your pictures and information you’re sharing :) Seriously….if anyone finds that to be TMI, they’re immature! Keep sharing–it helps others relate and feel normal :)

37. Kayla says:

thank you for sharing your journey with us all! i experience the same digestion issues as both of you: (gas, constipation, bloating-pregnant belly look etc.) and it got so bad about a year ago, i decided to see a naturopath as a last resort. main-stream doctors did not help me whatsoever, they just wanted to medicate me for the rest of my life (which didn’t really help anyways!). I feel your pain and have been working hard for over a year now to normalize my digestive system and i have seen progress. i’m not at 100% by any means, but my naturopath told me it can take 2-3 months of healing for every 1 year you’ve experienced digestive issues. That’s a long time, but I know it will be worth it in the end. There is a light at the end of this long tunnel. Stay strong and know that you are treating your body with the care it needs! xo!

38. Ashley P says:

I used to have eczema, especially during the winter months. My legs would get very dry and itchy and have red bumps and rashes that would also wake me up in the middle of the night. I would moisturize several times a day but nothing helped. I started eating gluten free (to help with gut issues and digestion) and found that eating gluten free also helped heal the eczema. I no longer get the rashes and my legs are very rarely itchy. I still moisturize daily after showers to help keep my legs moisturized, but I am amazed at how eliminating gluten from my diet helped resolve this issue. Hope you find what works for you!

• purelytwins says:

Ashley awesome to hear that you have found what works for you!! I sure wish taking out gluten fixed it, but hopefully through this new plan I can find what triggers mine.

39. Audrey Adams says:

I really respect you two girls for sharing this. I know its hard for girls to share things like this to people. But thanks for sharing!
    I am trying to eat lots of more vegetables all throughout the day more than usual and so far, its been good. It does make a difference in my energy levels. And my sweet tooth;) I’m also trying to keep up with all my vitamins (Bone Up, Life Multi, Oregano, olive leaf extract, msm powder&Spirulina*in my smoothies*, magnesium, K2+D3 together, etc).
    Have a blessed day!

40. Jennifer Anchecta says:

Hi

I am amazed at how many people suffer from a combination of digestion and skin issues. I have often felt like I was the only one. I have been so desperate w/ skin rashes that I would do an oatmeal soak at 2:00 AM for relief. I also have ulcerative colitis and flare ups make my life miserable. Like you girls, I have done vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, remove coffee etc…Since everyone reacts so different, I have found that no meat and no gluten has helped me the best. When I eat dairy, my face breaks out..but I still eat some every great once in while. The best thing I have ever done for my skin issues is that I moisturize immediately after I shower no delay…It has taken care of my issues 90%. On the occasion that I do get a rash, its usually from exercising (heat rashes) so I have to use good exercise clothing that helps in the sweat department. Good luck girls in figuring out what will help. I love your blog!

41. Deana says:

Again, you are so brave to share with us all. I admire you so much! As for me, a 3+ year eczema on my elbow went away within 3 weeks of eating Paloe/primal. Animal fat, and not from fish, is what helped my body. I had eaten 27 years’ worth of omega 6′s, and supplemented with fish oil, and eaten fish. It was not until I added clean, pastured, grass-fed beef and turkey and pork, that my skin cleared up. I saw an acupuncturist for it for many months, and tried all kinds of moisturizers, etc. I was astonished at how much my body really needed beef, in particular.
    As for the bathroom/gas…I find a high dose of really potent probiotics is the ticket. I use a 15-30-15 combo.
    Good luck!

42. Hi loves! So I am inspired to share more about my issues with eczema – I’ve vlogged about them before but I’ve had horrible dry skin on my right hand forever and I gave up a lot of foods thinking I was allergic until I got my blood work done and found out that I was allergic to almonds! I was eating almonds daily prior to this; almond milk, almond butter, almonds! I found that after I cut them out, my eczema practially disappeared in a few months…I seriously couldn’t believe it. The Dr. told me that sometimes we can build up allergies to foods if we over-do them and I believe that is what I did! I honestly haven’t had dry skin issues like I used to in a while now. I hope this helps you <3 I'm always here to talk!! And kudos to talking about it <3 sharing is healing!
    Kasey@powercakes.net recently posted..My decision to join CrossFit.My Profile

• purelytwins says:

Kasey both of us have had allergy testing and did avoid the foods for months and saw no improvement :( which is why we feel we need to heal our gut and avoid the foods we picked to avoid for now and adjust as we go along. We have read and heard about so many people taking one or two things out of their diet and their health dramatically improved, sadly that did happen for us

43. Have you guys ever been tested for candida? I suffered from acne for awhile and was related to a sluggish thyroid, which in return caused an overgrowth of candida. I’ve been on a journey to heal my gut since August and the one thing I’ve found that has slowed my process is alcohol. I indulge very little now (maybe 1-2 drinks every couple weeks), but I am feeling so much better and my skin is much clearer. I believe that whole foods are the key to longevity, but have realized food is only part of it. Have you guys heard of the book You Can Heal Your life by Louise Hay? She is the positive affirmation queen and I read her book last week and my skin is glowing and I got my period after not having it since May….I don’t know if there is a correlation, but I though I’d share whats helped me the most. Love your blog. Keep up the inspiration!!!!

• purelytwins says:

thanks for sharing, we believe we have heard of that book, we have to check it out! yes we have been tested for Candida a few years ago, and did some Candida cleanse with some success. We are firm believers in positive affirmations!! thanks hugs