plan to heal the gut

The first of the year is a BIG date for many people as it seems like the best option to start a new goal.

But for us, we are starting when we are ready. Once we have all the information sorted. Once we have our goals lined up. Then we will take action.

There is no need to rush changes, especially when you want to see results. Being prepared is key. Having a plan is needed. Believing you can do it is CRUCIAL!

Ways to heal the gut @purelytwins

We have never done a “heal your gut” program before, as we mentioned in our video we have done other things to improve our health. We are feeling pretty comfortable with the new changes we are about to do. PLEASE note this is for our journey to heal our gut! This will not work for everyone as we all have different needs and goals. But if you suffer from the same issues we do, then you might benefit from some of these changes too.

Learn. Adapt. Adjust to meet your lifestyle! And remember we are not saying this is the only way to heal. This is just what we are doing based upon the research we have done.

These next two weeks our diet will be different as we initially planned as Michelle will be traveling and working long days with Raw Threads, so we are adjusting our health and fitness goals accordingly. Please take note this is not a permanent thing for us, just something we are doing to heal our gut.

We are going to use the blog as our journal. We will also be sharing our eats and workouts on facebook, twitter and instagram. So make sure you follow us to keep up!

breville juicer

We got a new juicer to help us during this healing time! Plus we miss juicing. And sounds like many of you are ready to juice too!

Healing The Gut Plan:
Remember this our plan to heal our gut. Consult your doctor before beginning any program. Adjust to your own body and needs. We have done our own research and have come to these steps to help us in our journey to heal our stomach issues. Please do your own research before starting anything new. We are not really sure how long we plan to do this program.

Goal to do for a typical day:

Morning Workout
Probiotic
Fermented Cod liver oil/butter blend – ½ tsp
L-glutamine powder in between meals – about 3 grams in morning and 3 grams in evening
Take -Digestive enzyme, quercetin, licorice before dinner.
Before bed magnesium pill and oil.

Things we plan to avoid:
nightshade vegetables
gluten
grains
beans
legumes
soy
dairy
hemp seeds
sesame seeds
chocolate
flax
nuts
no sugar (only stevia and fruit allowed)
reduce alcohol intake

Supplements to take:
magnesium
digestive enzymes
probiotic
fermented cod liver oil
l-glutamine
licorice
quercetin
gelatin
peppermint tea

Other goals:
try to get 4 tbsp coconut oil a day
½ -1 avocado a day
use spices and herbs at each meal
juice when possible
drink water throughout the day

Focus on eating fruits, vegetables, dark leafy greens, eggs, fish, grass-fed meats, clean carbs like sweet potato and winter squashes.

supplementstohealthegut

More about the supplements we will be taking to help heal our gut. (some our unpictured as we do not have them yet)

- Green Pasture Fermented Butter Oil cod liver oil blend

- Since Michelle is traveling she will be taking – NutraSea fish oil softgels

- Probiotic and Digestive enzymes (we rotate brands to get a variety)

-  Quercetin and Licorice are new for us, so excited to see how we like them (we got these supplements from practical paleo book)

- Gelatin another new product for us to try (we have had readers mention it to us instead of using protein powders)

- Magnesium ( we have a few ways we take this – liquid, pills, and oil)

Tomorrow we will share more of the issues we plan to heal.

50 Responses to plan to heal the gut

1. I will definitely be following along with you guys. I really need to do my gut some good, as I’ve been having some crazy uncomfortable issues going on lately. Ones that my doctor doesn’t seem to want to do anything about. So I’ll be watching you excitedly! :)
    Amanda @ Run Principessa recently posted..Adventure is Out There!My Profile

2. You ladies make me SMILE! I love the list..No Chocolate, “reduce alcohol intake” LOL!!!! Rock is sista’s!! I need to go get some L-glutamine and start taking it, I hear its awesome for muscle building and I need that! xxoo
    Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..Natures Caramel Nut ClustersMy Profile

3. Carolyn says:

Good morning, ladies…..I understand your struggles and have been healing my gut for the past year. We should touch base through your journey and compare notes. I too did a ton of research and it mirrors a lot of what you are doing. If possible would you mind listing the reasons for each supplement? It would be helpful to see why you are taking certain supplements and what issue you are targeting by taking it. I wish you strength, health and happiness…there will be ups and downs but it is SO worth it….I promise!!!!!

4. Bonnie says:

Great plan you guys! I hope you do find success with it and better overall health because of it – anxious to follow along!
    Bonnie recently posted..My Fitness Moving ForwardMy Profile

5. Good luck to you! I’m going to forward this to my sister – she has tummy troubles too.
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted..Strange But Good BeginningsMy Profile

6. Vanessa says:

Ladies! I hear you on this one…I have been struggling with alot of the same issues for quite some time now, and have been feeling like everything I have tried has only been a temporary fix. I have been researching alot myself and have come along alot of the same things you have. I will be following along, and incorporating alot of the same things into my daily diet. I have not however…eaten meat in 3 years, and am quite nervous for that–both mentally and physically! I did buy organic tuna from whole foods that I am just *waiting* to have…but I can’t seem to get past the mental aspect of it! How was it for you guys when you first included meat in your diets again? Also are you going to be having coffee at all? :) thanks!!

• purelytwins says:

Vanessa well we have been eating meat for awhile now (a year or so) but to be honest it was not as hard as we thought. we were vegans for about 2 years so was not that bad eating animal products again. But everyone is different and just try it and see how you do. If you do not like it then don’t eat it. Best of luck!! hugs

7. Simone says:

i’m doing the same thing basically! i’m also cutting out fruit for the first 2 weeks so i’m eating a ton of meat and veg at the moment. Craving sugar like crazy but i’m on day 4 and have come through the headachy withdrawl period! i’m planning a 30 day they reassess challenge. i’m excited you guys are doing it too, will be nice to follow along.
    good luck!
    Simone recently posted..Farewell 2012…you were a doozieMy Profile

8. Beautiful! I am thrilled you guys are on this plan! I have been trying to heal my gut for so long… Without a large intestine, it’s hard for me to absorb nutrients, so all of these supplements, etc are REALLY worth it! :)
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..It’s time to get SMART in the New YearMy Profile

9. Best of luck! I think this will be a great shift for you. Whenever I go strict Paleo I always feel so much better!
    Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..The Perfect Roasted Potato RecipeMy Profile

10. lindsay says:

i swear by licorice tea at night and milk thistle in the morning! Plus colostrum and HCl. My go to healing guts.
    lindsay recently posted..Thursday Threads and ThingsMy Profile

11. I like this plan. I will admit that I had to look up what a nightshade veggie was, though. Haha.

Good luck to your girls!
    Joanna @ Running Places recently posted..Looking Forward To… LaughsMy Profile

12. Brooke says:

Hi ladies! Just curoious, are you eliminating chocolate, sesame, flax and hemp because you consume those food products on a regular basis?

13. Jay says:

Hormones – start eating more.
    Gut – stop overdoing raw vegetables.
    As simple as that.

14. Marianne says:

Sounds great! I think you guys have done some wonderful choices. I`m looking forward to following you “on the journey” and hear about your results:-)
    Good idea to replace protein powders with gelatin. It`s cheaper, but most of all, it has a lot of other components that you will greatly benefit from. You might already know, but gelatin contains glutamic acid which is converted to glutamine:-)
    I forgot to mention in my previous response that I would highly recommand bone broths/stocks. They contain gelatin and a lot of minerals (including magnesium and calsium). I don`t mean that your program is not good enough, it`s just to let you know,and maybe to investigate for later:-)
    An finally, I think it`s a good decision to leave out nuts, seeds, grain and chocolate for the purpose of avoiding fytic acid and other enzyme inhibitors which is so stressful for the digestion and blocks absorption of minerals ++.
    Wish you a great week end!!
    Hugs, Marianne

15. Lisa says:

Great job for putting together a plan of action for healing your gut! I’m currently trying to do the same and it’s hard to avoid all the foods I love, the past 2 weeks have been amazing. No more bloat, stomach aches, etc. Have you guys done an allergy test? I know that really helped me determine my intolerances/sensitivities so I knew exactly what I should avoid. Good luck ladies! xo
    Lisa recently posted..ConfessionsMy Profile

• purelytwins says:

Lisa yes we both have had different tests done. And we avoided the those foods for awhile and did not get better, which is why we are doing this

16. Melissa C says:

I am definitely following along with you girls through this journey as I am trying to heal my gut as well! Do you girls have celiacs disease or gluten intolerance? Also, what will you be snacking on during the day? I am giving up grains and nuts for at least one month to see how my gut reacts. My problem is I used to snack on alot of crackers and nuts at work, and now need some ideas of simple foods to snack on! :) Happy weekend!!

• purelytwins says:

Melissa we have been tested and not celiac but have a high intolerance to gluten. And in terms of snacks we snack on fruit and veggies.

17. I feel your pain, I had a lot of digestive issue last year. I take a lot of similar supplements along with fermented foods. I feel like they helped my more that probiotic supplements. I will be following along to see how it goes. Wish you girls the best of luck!

18. Jessica says:

I read daily, but this is my first comment. Just wanted to thank you both for all your informative and personal posts and your willingness to share and inform others. I am struggling with major gut issues right now, and this post gave me a boost. I look forward to reading more! Thanks!

19. As someone who knows gut issues very well, I’m here to 100% support you in this health endeavor. Best of luck!!! Looking forward to following your journey.

20. kari says:

I also want to thank you both for this post and the future ones because i have abdominal issues too. Im so bloated right now and Im very strict with my diet. I do eat a lot of protein since i want to fuel my muscle. Im excited to read on your journey. have a great week.

21. Elvida says:

Is this GAPS/SCD based?

22. Lauren says:

Good luck ladies! I hope this helps! I’m going to be posting my new healing plan this week! No grains or beans for me either! :) lets hope this helps us!! Xo love to your bellies!
    Lauren recently posted..Free Blog Banner Giveaway!My Profile

23. Lauren says:

Hi ladies! Not sure what form of magnesium you’re taking, but I wanted to recommend you look into magnesium glycinate for GI troubles. It’s the best. If this is what you’re already taking, then shut me up :)

24. Pancit says:

Have you looked into fructose malabsorption as the source of your stomach bloating? This article discusses it: http://theprimalparent.com/2012/03/31/ibs-depression-skin-fructose-malabsorption/

25. Stacy says:

I have a couple questions if u don’t mind

1. What proteins are u sticking to and how much? Are u doing chickenand turkey too ?

2 For what reason do u only take the digestive enzyme at night and not with every meal?

3 I know by both were big on plantbased pro powders, yet I don’t see them in ur plan. How can these hurt the gut?

4. How low carb are u going?

Thanks!

26. Kyra says:

Hey gals

I hope I’m not being annoying with all my posts….. U teo are just veryhhelpful with all ur research and no nonsense attitudes. It’s helping me cut thru the conflicting info I’ve gathered over the years :)

I’ve made some changes over the past month compared to this original post of ur goals and game strategy (ie fruits, avos, macros, supplements, etc) wwould it be possible to either make a new post that shows the updates of ur new plan and experiences, or at least make an edit to this one? The videos are great, but it’s really helpful to see a written post too like the one u made in this original post. I’m more of a visual learner lol

Thanks and sorry for being a major pain haha

• purelytwins says:

Kyra you are not being a pain! That is a great idea, we will work on that update post of what we are eating, not eating, trying ,etc. hope to have that up this coming week! thanks xoxo

27. Beth says:

what supplements and what dosage and when do you take each supplement?

28. Beth says:

And do you still recommend Perfect Fit protein powder? Even though it is brown rice? Sorry so many questions I’m hurting.

• Beth says:

and how do you make your gelatin concoction?

• purelytwins says:

We just take 1 tbsp gelatin into a cup and mix with a little water.

• Beth says:

I can tell by your responses that I am annoying you. Sorry, but I’m trying to understand and to heal by gut and I really need help with complete answers. I don’t feel very wanted on this blog. :(
          so sorry.

• purelytwins says:

Beth sorry to come across that way, we are just trying our best to answer your questions. It is just hard because a lot of what you have asked we have answered in the post. So we feel we are just repeating ourselves. We understand your frustration, but remember you have to do what is best for your body. What worked for us may or may not help you, so we do not want you to feel like you have to do what we say. We are just sharing our thoughts.

• purelytwins says:

Beth you just have to find what protein powder your body likes, you don’t even have to have protein powder if your digestion cannot handle it.