Our Health Goals

zwow49 Our last workout of 2012 we did ZWOW #49 Zuzana Light 365 rep workout! Gotta love those burpees in between each exercise for a complete body burn-out! Love getting our butts kicked to end the year!

socca

We also enjoyed some socca (garbanzo bean flatbread) as our dessert last night before heading out to celebrate the new year with our close friends. We had to end the year with one of our favorite foods ;)

michelle eating socca

As we mentioned in the video we are still working on a new plan for our health. Gathering, organizing, and sorting all the information and applying it to our lifestyle.

The health issues we are looking to heal, all strongly related to improving our digestion:

• adult acne
  • stomach issues (gas, constipation, bloating, pregnant belly)
  • dry itchy skin, skin rashes
  • seasonal allergies
  • hormone imbalance
  • nutritional deficiencies
  • heal gut lining
  • mood disorders

Some articles that we have been referring to help us with our healing journey:

Chronic constipation

Restoring gut function

How your body can still think you are eating gluten

Vegetarian paleo

Balancing hormones

Plus learning from our new book – Practical Paleo and some blog and Instagram friends.

Before making any judgements about us please watch the whole video and refer to these articles above. We will share our journey as best we can.

Yes we have done cleanses and “diets” before, so what makes this time different? Well watch us to find out.

jax

Happy New Year from Jax!

We are both excited to start this month with new goals, a new focus, and positive attitudes.

bacon yogurt coffee breakfast

Are you ready to getting going on your goals? What is your goal for the month of January? What did you do for New Years Eve?

We enjoyed a nice fun evening with our best friends. And today we have been helping the parents take down Christmas, anyone else putting away decorations?

47 Responses to Our Health Goals

1. Katie says:

Happy New Year to you beauties! Wishing you all the best in 2013!

I know things will get better with you girls, you will find what works for you! <3
    Katie recently posted..Dining at a CastleMy Profile

2. I love socca… need to make some tonight to go with my collards and beans.

Happy New Year!!! Cheers to 2013!
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted..Junk-Free January + Polar FT4My Profile

3. Digestion is HUGE!!! I have struggled with digestion my entire life and even had my large intestine taken out! It’s a constant struggle I have but I am always willing to talk about it with others because who knows, my advice might help them and visa versa! So… I will most likely be frequenting both of your blog, oh wait, ALREADY do! lol!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..It&#8217;s time to get SMART in the New YearMy Profile

4. I’m so excited to watch your journeys, no matter how they change and turn out this year, because I have a LOT of the same problems I’d like to fix this year. Cheers to a healthy year to come!
    Melissa @ Treats With a Twist recently posted..Let’s Go To Vegas!!My Profile

5. Tiff says:

Happy new year, and good luck with the goals! I struggle with adult acne. I wish I could get it to respond to diet changes… or anything, really. haha
    Tiff recently posted..Happy New Year & Polar FT40My Profile

6. Candice says:

Thanks for sharing your health journey! It truly is inspiring and encouraging as I travel on my own :). I look forward to the future posts you alluded to…

7. Very excited that you guys are giving it a shot. I’m starting my Whole30 today (although I do eat grass-fed, organic meat). I’ve had a number of vegan/vegetarian friends who are curious about joining me but are still stuck in this “paleo=meat” mentality. Will be pointing them to your blog :)
    Rachel @ painfreekitchen recently posted..New Blog Name!My Profile

8. amanda says:

Hey ladies!
    I have been reading your blog for a while, and will now contribute by commenting – it’s a start because I too would like to start blogging about my health journey!
    I suffer from a few of the above issues as well, and so far the contributors seem to be, but are not limited to; cashews, almonds (nuts?), tamari (soy?), bad combinations, any dessert, too much fat, all grains, and salt makes me feel stuffy/headache. I understand how incredibly frustrating these issues can be, especially when you watch what you eat, and pay close attention to healthy choices. I have just experienced a major skin outbreak of eczema/hives all over my arms that would not go away. I went to see a acupuncturist/TCM herbalist and after a few days he has helped me so much with my problem and digestive issues. The one major concern is that I am apparently allergic to my fur babies (3 cats, 1 rabbit, and 2 guinea pigs). They are the loves of my life, so you can imagine the pain this causes both my heart and health. I am determined though to discover a solution (we will have to move to a bigger place) – I may also look into NAET therapy for allergies. Anything is worth a try at this point! I have a long ways to go, and need to get more active…ok, active, period ;) Right now, simple food combinations, juicing most of my raw greens/veggies and eating any fruit alone are really helping with my healing journey. I have been eating some steamed veggies too, but I am so stuffed up after cooked foods, hmmm. Also, I have been enjoying some herbal teas that are suited/prescribed for my problems and they have been a helpful addition. Wishing you lovelies a very Happy, Healthy New Year :)
    It’s comforting to know that many of us are on a journey to find balance with our personal constitution.
    Thank you for all of your contributions in 2012. Looking forward to reading your 2013 entries!
    xo

• purelytwins says:

Amanda thank you so much for sharing, sounds like we have some of the same issues. Glad to hear you are getting relief!! Happy new year to you too!

9. Great site! Love your food choices!
    Amanda @ There Are Two Sides recently posted..2013 GoalsMy Profile

10. Melissa C says:

Happy New Year ladies! :) I am also starting fresh with new goals for this year! One of my goals is cutting grains out of my diet as I feel they are causing my adult acne and my digestive issues. I am looking forward to hearing more about your journeys!

11. Any workout with burpees is a good workout for me!! :)

My goals are to follow the Tone it up plan! I’m hoping I can do it :)
    Liz @ iheartvegtables recently posted..New Goals &amp; New Meal PlanMy Profile

12. Cristal Linn says:

Wait…what?!…..pregnant bellies who is pregnant did i miss a post about someone being pregnant!?

13. amanda j says:

happy 2013 to you both! I’ve loved reading your blog this year, and I wish you both luck in improving your health -it’s a journey as we all know. you two are amazing, and excited to see how your path unfolds. xoxo

14. Tiina says:

Good luck to you both. I’m on a similar journey for other health issues. Gluten free, mostly vegetarian, tried vegan, fell off the wagon, trying to figure out what is best for my body. Family and friends can be helpful, but not always as what they consider a cosmic shift occurs. Do what is right for you. You are very brave for blogging about it.

15. THANK YOU! I am so excited o follow along with you on your journey! I, too, am on a gut healing path and am trying to find the right path, but struggle with sooooo many of the same hings you have mentioned! I hope we can help be another! I know that I was led to your blog several months ago for good reason! :-). Thank you!
    Deanna@healthyleanfit recently posted..Personal Journey – Part 3My Profile

16. We enjoyed a quiet evening at home last night and it was glorious! Sparkling wine and cake at midnight was all I wanted to make it feel special. Still working on defining my goals, but this year will be all about balance.
    Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Happy New Year 2013!!My Profile

17. Mandie says:

Hi girls!

Even though I’ve been reading your blog for several years, I don’t usually comment; however, I think I will more in the future. I really appreciate your honesty, compassion, and good eats. I have struggled with several of the conditions you mentioned, as well as a few of my own. I never knew that diet could be the issue until I started reading your blog and others like it. I’ve been experimenting with my diet for quite a while now and am pleased with the results, but I know there’s still a lot of good that I can achieve. I look forward to hearing about your journey, especially because a lot of the changes you’ve made have helped me, as well.

I wish you the best of luck in 2013 and will be here to support you through your journey. I know it’s hard to put things out there (I had a blog for 3 years and was always hesistant to do so…but now I have!), but I want to thank you for doing so. You are strong, intelligent women, and no comment should ever make you question that.

Also, I could not agree with you more about what it feels like to love baking. I love eating clean, but baking is just apart of my life. While I don’t eat most of the sweets I make now (I give them to my loved ones instead), I’ve found a happy balance with making your recipes for myself on occasion and enjoying them without guilt. Life is meant for love and enjoyment, and if baking (and eating!) is that, then I say by all means enjoy it! You are certainly not alone.

xox
    Mandie recently posted..Soooooo…….My Profile

18. Wendy says:

I have followed you guys for quite some time now because it seems we have the same issues. I have been following the paleo way of eating for a few months now but I’m tightening it up and doing a whole30 right now. I have serious gut issues, weight gain, water retention, some random acne break outs and big hormonal issues. I recently found a doctor who actually listened to me and ran blood work. I have estrogen dominance. My estrogen levels are through the roof. So I’m on hormones now. To keep my eating as clean as possible and to heal my gut and hormonal issues, I’m staying as far away from soy as humanly possible and following strict paleo. Just thought I’d share this. Who cares if anyone is negative or judgemental of you guys! You have helped tons of people and I’m excited to follow you because I’m going through similar issues!

19. Meg says:

I love your goals and share many of the same. Great video. Your honesty is very much appreciated! You may also want to check out this blog:
    She has such a wealth of information on hormones and has a balanced women centred perspective.

20. Miz says:

my goal is making my new ‘hood feel like home.

Miz recently posted..The secret to YOUR 2013 success.My Profile

21. i watched your whole video and i genuinely hope that you can find your balance! i used to get that bloated belly too a couple years ago but i found that eating paleo/stressing less was what helped me heal my gut. my regime these days is a little different but i will give you an example of my day:

AM: red, green or orange juice that i make fresh
    mid morning: hemp protein shake with frozen fruit & homemade nut mylk or no breakfast at all (i just listen to my hunger cues)
    Lunch: soup, roasted veggies, OR leftovers from dinner (protein/veg) handful of pepitas
    Dinner: massaged kale salad, eggs, or repeat of something similar to lunch

dessert*:i try not to eat fruit after dinner but sometimes i do. the only fruit that really gives me serious issues are apples. i just know upfront to expect bloating. dark chocolate and raw nuts is a favorite combo and i usually will drink some chamomile tea before bed.

*if i am experiencing gut pain or bloating, i will take a peppermint oil capsule 30min-1hr before i eat and this has helped me significantly reduce pain/bloating. i just buy the nature’s way brand i think it’s called peptogest at whole foods or something like that.
    the delicate place recently posted..we wish yinz. . .My Profile

22. Coco says:

Thanks for sharing ladies- some very good info in the articles.. :)
    Coco recently posted..WOs +Half Marathon +Happy New Year!My Profile

23. Happy new year! I’m always wary of sharing health goals and problems on the internet for fear of being judged and criticized. You two have been a huge inspiration for me in starting to share my own health story.

You will always have the support of this lovely little community you have created here :-) Good luck with your goals, and I can’t wait to read more about it!
    Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..New Adventures: Vail Ski-cationMy Profile

24. sara werst says:

Hi twins. I was just diagnosed with candida in my gut. I have celiac and have been suffering from so many health issues since diagnosis. Although, my doc provided medication. I am really committed to following a strict diet to kill off the bad bacteria. I am right there with you girls is taking steps back in order to really get to the root cause of all my discomfort. I continue to tell myself that in the short term it may seem miserable and difficult, but in the long run I will thank myself for this period of “rebuting” :) Overall, it is nice to know that I have virtual support from you two! Thanks and I look forward to embarking with you!

25. Sarah says:

I think it is so great you are doing this! I have been torn about doing full paleo because, like you girls, I am so concerned how it will impact the recipes on my blog. However, after watching your video I think I am going to do it. I need to do what’s best for me and I have been having a lot of digestive issues lately (sorry if TMI). I just need to figure out how I will still balance both. If you have any advice I’d really appreciate it! Good luck! I am hope this works for you girls and THANK YOU for sharing it with all of us!
    Sarah recently posted..Shepards PieMy Profile

26. Sam says:

Happy New Year!
    I just reread your post about the health issues you’ve been having and I’m wondering if you ever heard of, or got tested for, gastroparesis or bacterial overgrowth? After many tests and many different diets (dairy free/gluten free, etc) I finally received these diagnoses and the answers to my problems, which sound eerily similar to yours. Gas, bloating, constipation, hormonal imbalance…If you would like me to elaborate on the conditions or tests, I’m happy to.
    Feel good.

27. Brooke says:

“When you’re a sweets person it’s really hard to stop being a sweets person” hit the nail right on the head in that video! I am the same way. Wish I could do your cleanse but I am fatally allergic to all seafood and highly sensitive to eggs, sad. Still excited to follow your progress and maybe create a program that (somehow) works for me.

• Brooke says:

I also have suffered from eczema all of my life and it is so tough. Waking up in the middle of the night scratching my legs is the worst feeling!

28. jillian teta says:

hi ladies! my name is jillian teta, and i am the creator of the “fix your digestion” program and blog. i noticed some of my blog traffic was coming from your blog and i wanted to drop in, share a note and say hi and THANK YOU for your shout out. keep rocking on!