Recipe for gluten-free grain-free egg-free dairy-free peppermint candy cane protein bars.

peppermint-grain-free-protein-bars-purelytwins

Just when we thought our last peppermint dessert was a HUGE success!

Ta-da

We discovered another one! More the merrier right? ‘Tis the season of sharing πŸ™‚ Plus we found another way to enjoy hemp protein powder similar to our protein thin mints and baked thin mint cake.

protein-bars

If you are a peppermint candy fan these bars are for YOU!

Peppermint candy cane grain-free egg-free protein brownie bars.

Do we have you drooling yet?

holiday-peppermint-bars

Seriously we’ve been eating these peppermint candy bars for over a week now, and we keep on making more!

Good news is that Gary and our whole family loved these bars. Bad news is that they all loved these bars. But again it is the season for sharing.

peppermint-candy-cane-protein-bars-purelytwins

One word = AMAZING

Maybe 3 words – BEST DESSERT EVER!

Too much?

How about OUR favorite dessert to date.

holiday-candy-cane-bars

We are super excited to share the recipe with you!!! Β Can you tell?

Now when you see the words protein bars, sweet chocolate moist bars probably do not come to mind? These are not your average sit on the store shelves protein bars. Β Nope. They are not even in the same category. These could be called protein brownies if you prefer. Name doesn’t really matter as these protein bars are pretty darn tasty! Β We think you will agree.

The peppermint candies on top make these protein bars complete! They add that touch of perfection that take these bars from 100% to 110% satisfaction.

Peppermint protein bars made with hemp protein with a no sugar coconut butter frosting

Slices of pure heaven right there? Trust us.

Everything we (and we think you) would want in a baked protein “brownie” bar. Homemade. Dense. Sweet. Creamy coconut butter frosting. Freshly baked. Full of protein. Full of healthy fats (we are not afraid of our fats).

DELICIOUS. Ooey-gooey-fudgy peppermint delicious. Perfect chewiness that leaves you lingering for more. So soft and rich too.

bars-more-grainfree

We are all about eating ‘sweets’ in moderation, but to be honest that is hard for us to do. We like our sweets too much. That is why we are always trying to create ones that keep us feeling and looking good πŸ˜‰

These bars can be eaten for dessert or as a snack mid day. (Or perhaps even breakfast!). We are not ashamed to admit we have enjoyed some with our morning coffee this past week.

peppermint-protein-bars-purelytwins

peppermint candy cane protein bars (grain-free, gluten-free, and egg-free option)

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Yield: makes 12 - 16 brownies

Gluten-free grain-free dairy-free peppermint candy cane protein brownie bars. Egg-free option. Candy cane hemp protein brownies with a low sugar coconut butter frosting.

Ingredients

Brownie Protein Bars:
  • 1 cup hemp protein powder (4 oz)
  • 1/2 cup cacao powder (2 oz)
  • 1/4 cup arrowroot (1 oz)
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour (1 oz)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 egg or 1 flax gel (1 1/2 tbsp flax gel with 3 tbsp water, let sit to make gel)
  • 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
  • 1/2 cup applesauce (4 oz)
  • 1/2 cup coconut nectar ( 6oz)
  • 1/2 cup hot water
  • Coconut Frosting:
  • 1/2 cup coconut butter
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • Candy Canes crushed for topping

Directions

1. Place all ingredients into a bowl and mix together, end with adding hot water. Batter will be thick runny. Spread protein bar batter into a lightly coconut oil greased 11Γ—7 baking dish. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
  2. As bars cool, make up frosting. Then spread onto brownie protein bars and top with crushed candy canes.
  3. Cut into 16-18 slices. Store in refrigerator if you have left overs.

Notes

If you do not have coconut butter can use any butter of your choice.
If you do not have coconut nectar can use agave or maple syrup.

We personally think they taste best cold from the refrigerator. Maybe that is just us, haha But the longer the flavors sit together the more perfect every bite is as it melts in your mouth.

Grain free peppermint chocolate candy cane protein bars. Gluten-free and can be made Vegan.

Peppermint. Protein. Chocolate. Coconut butter. Candy canes. Need we say more?

Now go make yourself some of these chocolatly rich protein bars. If you do feel like baking or maybe not huge chocolate fan, you would love our peppermint cashew cream cake!

NEW blog signature-01

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

29 thoughts on “peppermint candy cane protein bars (grain-free)

1. These look amazing – Can’t wait to give them a try. I’m on a serious candy cane binge so this is the perfect way to spice things up! πŸ™‚

Posted on December 21, 2012 at 9:19 am
  2. I love any peppermint/candy cane and dark chocolate combo. So perfect for this time of year! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Posted on December 21, 2012 at 9:30 am
  3. These just look amazing, I might have to try them! Thanks!

Posted on December 21, 2012 at 10:46 am
    1. Thanks Christine, let us know if you make them πŸ™‚

Posted on December 21, 2012 at 11:01 am
  4. GReat recipe twinnies! Question: Do you guys eat sweets everyday? Just asked becuase you both have 6 packs and look amazing. When I usually bake your treats(Which is easily once a week), it’s just me so I usually have one or two desserts each day (and have a lot of veggies and clean food for all other meals). I keep saying ‘it’s made with great ingredients’ but do you think I’m over doing it if I want a six pack like yours? πŸ™‚ ADvice would be appreciated!

Posted on December 21, 2012 at 11:47 am
  5. If my hubby like peppermint more, I’d be making these. Especially if they are better than the cake (yum!!!). πŸ™‚

Posted on December 21, 2012 at 11:55 am
  6. I can’t wait to make this recipe and I love that they are protein packed too! I don’t think it gets much better than a chocolate protein bar topped with frosting πŸ˜‰

Posted on December 21, 2012 at 12:29 pm
  7. yayyyy! i was hoping you’d be sharing this one after i saw the picture of it! love that now i have a dairy free/gluten free option to enjoy peppermint chocolatey goodness! thanks girls πŸ™‚

Posted on December 21, 2012 at 2:00 pm
  8. I have been desperately trying to come up with something to do with the 1 pound bag of mini candy canes I have sitting in my kitchen and I think I’ve just found it. These bars look so so so good!

Posted on December 21, 2012 at 2:07 pm
  9. Wowza! This looks sooooo good!

Posted on December 21, 2012 at 2:50 pm
  10. You girls are genius’ in the kitchen. That is all.

Posted on December 21, 2012 at 3:19 pm
  11. These look so freaking good!!! Can’t beat chocolate and mint together – esp when packed with protein.

Posted on December 21, 2012 at 5:07 pm
  12. Those look REALLY, REALLY, REALLY good.

Posted on December 21, 2012 at 7:02 pm
  13. Hi, Thank you for this yummy looking dessert. Just wondering if I could sub Brown Rice Protein powder for Hemp?
    Merry Xmas,
    London.

Posted on December 22, 2012 at 2:01 am
    1. London you can use, just hemp is heavier in weight and has more fat so will get a different outcome.

Posted on December 22, 2012 at 8:17 am
      1. Hi, if I use whey protein (which I did for your pumpkin protein bars and it turned out great!) should I do it by weight (4 oz) or volume (1cup)? Based on your above comment I’ll also add in a tbs of coconut oil

Posted on December 18, 2014 at 12:44 am
        1. Sara we would go by weight and yes coconut oil would be great.

Posted on December 18, 2014 at 10:11 am
  14. I’ve been looking for a delicious, healthy snack that I can make and I finally found your recipe! Thank you! But I can’t find arrowroot anywhere πŸ™ Do you have any suggestions for a substitute for arrowroot? And is it okay if I use a 9×9 square pan for baking? Thanks! πŸ™‚

Posted on June 28, 2013 at 5:34 pm
    1. you can use cornstarch, potato starch or tapioca starch πŸ™‚

Posted on June 28, 2013 at 6:10 pm
  15. Does using the chia slurry make a big difference in the recipe outcome? In my experience coconut flour does not like it when there are no eggs but then again I’ve never tried it in combination with hemp protein… this would be absolutely perfect if I could take out the egg… thanks!

Posted on November 16, 2013 at 8:42 pm
  16. The frosting didn’t work out for me, but I used earth balance margrine and it is salty with the peppermint flavour….nope. Don’t do it man. Thanks for the recipe πŸ™‚ I spread melted chocolate ontop with crushed candy cane!

Posted on December 11, 2013 at 11:01 pm
  17. Planning on making these later but wondering if anyone has frozen a batch, do they freeze well?

Posted on January 7, 2014 at 11:00 am
    1. we’ve have not but we think they would freeze well.

Posted on January 7, 2014 at 11:05 am
  18. I have mine in the fridge right now. πŸ™‚ Didn’t have enough coconut oil left for the “icing”. I’m assuming the topping will stay fairly soft because of it.

My husband has a sweet tooth. At least with these I know he’ll be getting something with more nutrition in them, with plenty of protein. The true test will be with the 4 year old. If he takes to this..(I’m sure he will) I’ll be in heaven.

Great website ladies. Keep up the great work!

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 2:16 pm
  19. How do we get nutrition values for this? Or is there a way to calculate it on our own? I’d like to make these but still have to log it into MFP!

Posted on December 10, 2014 at 8:51 pm
    1. Add it as a recipe on MFP! My fitness pal will import the recipe and calculate everything for you.

Posted on January 23, 2015 at 6:42 am