Growing up Michelle and I adored a banana chocolate chip bar that if I remember correctly we got off the back of a nestle chocolate chip bag.

We made it a lot! Even through college we found ourselves making it for us. We had this one friend who requested it all the time!  Seriously, all the time. Oh those were the days. Ok…not reminiscing about college…back to banana chocolate chip blondie bars.

It has been years since either one of us had made that classic recipe.

A healthy recipe for gluten-free egg-free dairy-free low sugar banana chocolate chip blondies.

And when I made pumpkin chocolate chip blondie squares it occurred to me that recipe was almost similar to those bars from our past.

When Michelle was in town a few weeks ago I mentioned to her about my idea and off to the kitchen we went. Then I thought to myself we should make a fun video of us baking this new version of banana chocolate chip bars. And friends that is what we did 🙂

How to make no sugar added gluten-free vegan chocolate chip blondies.

Oh how this recipe brought back so many great memories for us both. Just like old times.  But instead of remaking that classic recipe, we added in some changes to create a super yummy dessert with a few of our favorite ingredients.

Just like with pumpkin and chocolate, there is something about bananas and chocolate that fits perfectly together.

These blondie bars are super yummy. Trust us? They are worth making.

They came out of the oven really moist (as you can tell by my comment in the video) and very soft. Like Michelle said in the video we added in cacao nibs because we adore their flavor and slight crunch they bring to the blondies.

Sweet, perfectly spiced banana blondies with pieces of chocolate chips, cacao nibs, and chia seeds.  What is not to love?

To say the least…we had loads of fun in the kitchen as well as creating the video. We hope you enjoy seeing us making these banana chip blondies.

We were so beyond excited with these as they were sweet, moist and slightly cake-like.

Compared to the original our pumpkin bar recipe we omitted the coconut sugar and just relied on the bananas for sweetness  Other changes we made were adding in cacao nibs and chia seeds for a little extra texture.

This recipe was inspired by chocolate chip pumpkin blondie bars

banana chocolate chip blondies (gluten free, vegan, dairy free, nut free)

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Yield: makes one batch of blondies 8 in baking dish

serving size will vary

banana chocolate chip blondies (gluten free, vegan, dairy free, nut free)

A healthy recipe for banana chocolate chips blondies that are made without added sugar. Gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free and nut free recipe for banana blondies.

Ingredients

• 2/3 cup amaranth flour (3oz)
  • 1/3 cup arrowroot starch (1 1/4oz)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
  • 1 1/3 cups mashed bananas (about 10-11 oz)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil (2oz) in liquid form
  • 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons cacao nibs

Directions

1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Place all dry ingredients, chocolate chips, cacao nibs, and chia seeds into a bowl , whisk the ingredients together.
  3. Next add in wet ingredients (banana puree and coconut oil).
  4. Stir all ingredients together in bowl.
  5. Stir until all combined.
  6. Batter will be a little thick.
  7. Grab 8-inch pan that is lightly oiled with coconut oil.
  8. Pour batter into pan and spread until evenly spread out.
  9. Bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean

Substitutions:

• You can use 1 cup of any gluten free flour blend.
  • You can use brown rice or sorghum flour for the amaranth. Can use tapioca or cornstarch instead of arrowroot starch.
  • Can use flax meal for the chia seeds.
  • If you make in another pan, you may have to adjust baking time.
  • Can do all chocolate chips instead of cacao nibs

So happy!

So soft, dense, and chewy with each bite!

Banana chocolate bliss.

Already dreaming of your slice of warm banana chocolate chip blondie bar?  Of course you are. Because they really are sensational bars! If say so ourselves.

We are still deciding if we are blondie or brownie lovers?

Between this recipe and pumpkin chip blondies they make it a hard battle with our fudgy brownies of which is better. As we love them all.

till next time,

and sorry for the last post, we were having internet issues this morning and put our post and video getting up late. sorry.

purely twins

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

47 thoughts on “banana chocolate chip blondies

1. I don’t have amaranth or vanilla powder. Any ideas for subs?

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 3:02 pm
    1. Amaranth you could use any regular gluten-free flour like sorghum, brown or white rice, even a nut meal might work. Vanilla extract is fine instead of vanilla powder.

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 9:46 pm
  2. These bars look just wonderful! I have such a penchant for including chia seeds in almost all of my baked goods. I don’t know why, but mentally they make everything better. I love the addition of both chocolate chips and cocao nibs here. I’ll have to make these soon!

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 3:32 pm
  3. lori, your hair is SO long and gorgeous..it is ridiculous! 🙂 also, think i can sub 1 egg in place of the chia? i haven’t had them for years! (the texture really bugs me lol)

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 3:53 pm
    1. thank you so much Melissa xoxo
      and yes you can use egg over chia.

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 9:46 pm
  4. Yum these look amazing! I love brownies, but sadly suffer from migraines which irritate my migraines more which means I have to avoid all cocoa, even the raw cacao which makes me sad. So blondies will have to do:) These look so good!

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 4:04 pm
    1. sorry to hear that Lisa, yes blondies with no chips would be great!

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 9:45 pm
  5. I love that these are sweetener free! I always find bananas sweeten things up just fine on their own :).

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 4:10 pm
    1. so do we Anna we forgot that and this recipe reminded us 🙂

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 9:44 pm
  6. Holy moly this looks amazing! Pinned and tweeted!

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 5:38 pm
    1. thanks!!!

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 9:43 pm
  7. Oh, cacao nibs are the best in baked goods! Gives a nice punch flavor wise!

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm
    1. yes it does!

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 9:43 pm
  8. Amazing! I can not wait to try these! I have been compiling recipes for Ella and all the sweet ones are sweetened only with bananas too! They work out so great, and make the recipes so moist too! I am sure she will love these…can’t wait to try! SO I would just use 1 cup of GF flour blend if that’s what I have on hand, correct?

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 9:11 pm
    1. correct Laury 🙂 they do work out so great and love the moist level they bring 😉

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 9:42 pm
  9. These look amazing! Going on my To Make list 🙂

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 9:14 pm
  10. Now these look like my kinda treat! 🙂

Posted on December 4, 2012 at 4:27 am
  11. LOVE the addition of the cacao nibs.
    I add em to everything 🙂
    I need to try and see yer sister while she’s here. I may be heading BACK to day CA–but if not…

Posted on December 4, 2012 at 5:58 am
  12. Love this recipe! I am so excited to make these. I remember seeing something about them on your facebook a while back and have been waiting ever since 😉

Posted on December 4, 2012 at 9:30 am
  13. I just started this only to realize i dont have bananas! Do you gals think that pumpkin puree would work instead? I already mixed the flour and chia seeds or wlse i would make your pumpkin blondies…yikes! Xoxoxo

Posted on December 4, 2012 at 6:24 pm
    1. pumpkin puree would be fine 🙂

Posted on December 4, 2012 at 8:25 pm
      1. I should have watched your video, sorry! Thanks for your quick reply.

Posted on December 4, 2012 at 9:19 pm
        1. No worries 😉

Posted on December 5, 2012 at 12:08 am
  14. These look soooo good! Love anything moist and with bananas.

Posted on December 5, 2012 at 10:20 am
  15. Yum! Would oat flour or all purpose gluten free flour work as subs? What proportions should I use of oat/gluten free flour and corn starch if I use them as substitutions?

Posted on December 5, 2012 at 6:02 pm
    1. If doing all purpose blend we suggest doing one cup of it. If you want to add in some oat flour you could do 1/2 cup oat flour and 1/2 cup all purpose blend.

Posted on December 6, 2012 at 8:27 am
  16. Made these tonight.. they are awesome.. so moist. I never knew what amaranth was before. Sounds like I need to eat more of it for cholesterol benefits.

Posted on December 5, 2012 at 11:03 pm
    1. awesome Rae so happy to hear this!!

Posted on December 6, 2012 at 8:24 am
  17. I had some overripe bananas to use up so I made these bars today using a gluten-free flour blend. They are so yummy! I love the addition of the cacao nibs and chia seeds and I agree that the bananas are sweet enough on their own.
    I just found your site not too long ago and I’m so glad I did. I have bookmarked so many of your recipes to try, they all sound so good–and healthy too!

Posted on December 6, 2012 at 3:52 pm
    1. thanks Sarah!! we are so happy to hear this 🙂 enjoy your banana blondies hugs

Posted on December 6, 2012 at 4:16 pm
  18. I was thinking of making this for my son’s holiday event at school, but many of the kids have allergies to nuts and seeds, etc. So, even though, I know that chia seeds and coconut oils are not high on the list of nut/seed allergies, I don’t want to risk it. I was wondering could you make it without the chia seeds and coconut oil? Is there something else I could substitute for them if not? I guess I could always try to make it without those ingredients and see how it tastes. But if you have another raw recipe that might be good to bring to a no nuts/seeds school – I would love to get it. Thank you for all your help!

Posted on December 6, 2012 at 6:19 pm
    1. Elisa you could do flax for the chia seeds or do more flour. Coconut oil can be replaced with any oil. Hope this helps.

Posted on December 7, 2012 at 9:13 am
  19. Hey ladies just wanted to say I love them!!! Just made them today and used 2/3cup organic gluten free whole grain brown rice flower instead of armarath, 1/3 cup tapioca flour, 1/2tsp of pure vanilla extract, 2TBSP of organic flax meal and sub the caco nips for 60% ghirardelli chocolates and they came out wonderful!!! Thanks for another healthy addition to my clean and healthy lifestyle!! One questions what a recommended serving size per each brownie and it’s nutritional info?

Posted on December 8, 2012 at 12:55 am
    1. Melissa we will have to get back to you on that as we have not done the nutritional info on this recipe.

Posted on December 8, 2012 at 6:33 am
  20. mmmm these look delicious

Posted on December 10, 2012 at 11:38 am
  21. Any idea how many carbs might be in these?

Posted on January 17, 2013 at 8:25 pm
  22. Hey ladies, do you think I could sub almond meal/flour for the amaranth?

Posted on February 10, 2013 at 5:45 pm
    1. Amanda you could always try. It might make the batter more moist, but should be okay.

Posted on February 10, 2013 at 6:57 pm
  23. Made these with oat flour and tapicoa starch and they turned out pretty good! Very tasty. Love that there is no added sugar because I love baking and sweets and don’t need all of that sugar!

Posted on February 11, 2013 at 11:41 am
  24. I made these today & they were so delicious! But mine were not chewy, didn’t have the same coloring as yours & were a lot thicker and fluffier- more like a cake. The only changes I made were; used 1 cup gluten free flour blend, 1 TBSP chia & 1 TBSP flax meal, all caoca nibs. I used an 8×8 pan. I was hoping for a chewy brownie, what could I change for next time?

Posted on February 16, 2013 at 7:26 pm
    1. Samantha glad you liked them, as they do not have a heavy chew to them. If you want more of a chew tapioca starch works good for that so make sure you flour blend has it in it, or add some tapioca in for some of the flour.

Posted on February 17, 2013 at 8:07 am
  25. Wow, these look yummy, and thanks to a previous recipe from you two I already have amaranth flour. I’ve been getting into cocoa nibs lately and I love the idea of adding both cocoa nibs and chia seeds to these blondies. You certainly answered every possible question about substitutions, leaving no excuse not to give this one a try!

Posted on February 17, 2013 at 2:50 am
  26. Was short 1/3 cup banana, so subbed 1/3 c applesauce. Tasted great, but perhaps a little too moist. Won’t stop me from eating these addicting treats. The fat content concerns me. Gonna try scaling back on the oil. Thank you for a great chia recipe!

Posted on March 1, 2013 at 3:57 pm
  27. Thinking this might work with protein powder instead of amaranth.

Posted on March 15, 2013 at 7:16 am
    1. yes we are planning on trying it that way too.

Posted on March 15, 2013 at 8:04 am
  28. Hello beautiful twins!! This is my first stop-in at your blog and… wow! Your recipes and stories are wonderful! Haha… loved your story about baking your favourite blondie recipe during college. Great job on making it healthy and nutritious, as well as delicious (I love being able to revamp old favourite recipes with healthy ingredients). Can’t wait to try some of your recipes… I just started using cacao nibs so this will be another perfect way to try them out in baked goods! x

Posted on April 21, 2013 at 6:36 pm