banana chocolate chip blondies

Growing up Michelle and I adored a banana chocolate chip bar that if I remember correctly we got off the back of a nestle chocolate chip bag.

We made it a lot! Even through college we found ourselves making it for us. We had this one friend who requested it all the time!  Seriously, all the time. Oh those were the days. Ok…not reminiscing about college…back to banana chocolate chip blondie bars.

It has been years since either one of us had made that classic recipe.

A healthy recipe for gluten-free egg-free dairy-free low sugar banana chocolate chip blondies.

And when I made pumpkin chocolate chip blondie squares it occurred to me that recipe was almost similar to those bars from our past.

When Michelle was in town a few weeks ago I mentioned to her about my idea and off to the kitchen we went. Then I thought to myself we should make a fun video of us baking this new version of banana chocolate chip bars. And friends that is what we did :)

How to make no sugar added gluten-free vegan chocolate chip blondies.

Oh how this recipe brought back so many great memories for us both. Just like old times.  But instead of remaking that classic recipe, we added in some changes to create a super yummy dessert with a few of our favorite ingredients.

Just like with pumpkin and chocolate, there is something about bananas and chocolate that fits perfectly together.

These blondie bars are super yummy. Trust us? They are worth making.

They came out of the oven really moist (as you can tell by my comment in the video) and very soft. Like Michelle said in the video we added in cacao nibs because we adore their flavor and slight crunch they bring to the blondies.

Sweet, perfectly spiced banana blondies with pieces of chocolate chips, cacao nibs, and chia seeds.  What is not to love?

To say the least…we had loads of fun in the kitchen as well as creating the video. We hope you enjoy seeing us making these banana chip blondies.

We were so beyond excited with these as they were sweet, moist and slightly cake-like.

Compared to the original our pumpkin bar recipe we omitted the coconut sugar and just relied on the bananas for sweetness  Other changes we made were adding in cacao nibs and chia seeds for a little extra texture.

This recipe was inspired by chocolate chip pumpkin blondie bars

banana chocolate chip blondies (gluten free, vegan, dairy free, nut free)

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Yield: makes one batch of blondies 8 in baking dish

serving size will vary

banana chocolate chip blondies (gluten free, vegan, dairy free, nut free)

A healthy recipe for banana chocolate chips blondies that are made without added sugar. Gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free and nut free recipe for banana blondies.

Ingredients

• 2/3 cup amaranth flour (3oz)
  • 1/3 cup arrowroot starch (1 1/4oz)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
  • 1 1/3 cups mashed bananas (about 10-11 oz)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil (2oz) in liquid form
  • 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons cacao nibs

Directions

1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Place all dry ingredients, chocolate chips, cacao nibs, and chia seeds into a bowl , whisk the ingredients together.
  3. Next add in wet ingredients (banana puree and coconut oil).
  4. Stir all ingredients together in bowl.
  5. Stir until all combined.
  6. Batter will be a little thick.
  7. Grab 8-inch pan that is lightly oiled with coconut oil.
  8. Pour batter into pan and spread until evenly spread out.
  9. Bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean

Substitutions:

• You can use 1 cup of any gluten free flour blend.
  • You can use brown rice or sorghum flour for the amaranth. Can use tapioca or cornstarch instead of arrowroot starch.
  • Can use flax meal for the chia seeds.
  • If you make in another pan, you may have to adjust baking time.
  • Can do all chocolate chips instead of cacao nibs

So happy!

So soft, dense, and chewy with each bite!

Banana chocolate bliss.

Already dreaming of your slice of warm banana chocolate chip blondie bar?  Of course you are. Because they really are sensational bars! If say so ourselves.

We are still deciding if we are blondie or brownie lovers?

Between this recipe and pumpkin chip blondies they make it a hard battle with our fudgy brownies of which is better. As we love them all.

till next time,

and sorry for the last post, we were having internet issues this morning and put our post and video getting up late. sorry.

purely twins

Opt In Image
Subscribe for free Updates + Purely Fit Life Tips

Each week you'll receive the latest happenings: free workouts, recipes plus tutorial videos, tips on how to create a life of motivation, health, and beauty, and more. You may read new posts at your own convenience. Welcome to the PT family!

You will receive a welcome pack after signing up with our 4 life tips,
4 healthy recipes and a killer cardio core workout.

We got a few questions inside the facebook group about the cod liver oil we get. We ordered it off Green pastures. Below is the picture of it.  We will do a whole post on it soon. Breakfast mush. Featuring a new protein we are liking. It is pea protein from Garden of Life. So…

Read More »

Comments

• purelytwins says

Amaranth you could use any regular gluten-free flour like sorghum, brown or white rice, even a nut meal might work. Vanilla extract is fine instead of vanilla powder.

1. says

These bars look just wonderful! I have such a penchant for including chia seeds in almost all of my baked goods. I don’t know why, but mentally they make everything better. I love the addition of both chocolate chips and cocao nibs here. I’ll have to make these soon!

2. says

Yum these look amazing! I love brownies, but sadly suffer from migraines which irritate my migraines more which means I have to avoid all cocoa, even the raw cacao which makes me sad. So blondies will have to do:) These look so good!
    Lisa recently posted..Easing Into DecemberMy Profile

3. says

Amazing! I can not wait to try these! I have been compiling recipes for Ella and all the sweet ones are sweetened only with bananas too! They work out so great, and make the recipes so moist too! I am sure she will love these…can’t wait to try! SO I would just use 1 cup of GF flour blend if that’s what I have on hand, correct?
    Laury recently posted..Chocolate Coconut ButterMy Profile

4. Brooke says

I just started this only to realize i dont have bananas! Do you gals think that pumpkin puree would work instead? I already mixed the flour and chia seeds or wlse i would make your pumpkin blondies…yikes! Xoxoxo

5. Roxanne says

Yum! Would oat flour or all purpose gluten free flour work as subs? What proportions should I use of oat/gluten free flour and corn starch if I use them as substitutions?

• purelytwins says

If doing all purpose blend we suggest doing one cup of it. If you want to add in some oat flour you could do 1/2 cup oat flour and 1/2 cup all purpose blend.

6. Rae says

Made these tonight.. they are awesome.. so moist. I never knew what amaranth was before. Sounds like I need to eat more of it for cholesterol benefits.

7. Sarah says

I had some overripe bananas to use up so I made these bars today using a gluten-free flour blend. They are so yummy! I love the addition of the cacao nibs and chia seeds and I agree that the bananas are sweet enough on their own.
    I just found your site not too long ago and I’m so glad I did. I have bookmarked so many of your recipes to try, they all sound so good–and healthy too!

8. Elisa says

I was thinking of making this for my son’s holiday event at school, but many of the kids have allergies to nuts and seeds, etc. So, even though, I know that chia seeds and coconut oils are not high on the list of nut/seed allergies, I don’t want to risk it. I was wondering could you make it without the chia seeds and coconut oil? Is there something else I could substitute for them if not? I guess I could always try to make it without those ingredients and see how it tastes. But if you have another raw recipe that might be good to bring to a no nuts/seeds school – I would love to get it. Thank you for all your help!

• purelytwins says

Elisa you could do flax for the chia seeds or do more flour. Coconut oil can be replaced with any oil. Hope this helps.

9. Melissa Braasch says

Hey ladies just wanted to say I love them!!! Just made them today and used 2/3cup organic gluten free whole grain brown rice flower instead of armarath, 1/3 cup tapioca flour, 1/2tsp of pure vanilla extract, 2TBSP of organic flax meal and sub the caco nips for 60% ghirardelli chocolates and they came out wonderful!!! Thanks for another healthy addition to my clean and healthy lifestyle!! One questions what a recommended serving size per each brownie and it’s nutritional info?

10. Taylor says

Made these with oat flour and tapicoa starch and they turned out pretty good! Very tasty. Love that there is no added sugar because I love baking and sweets and don’t need all of that sugar!

11. Samantha says

I made these today & they were so delicious! But mine were not chewy, didn’t have the same coloring as yours & were a lot thicker and fluffier- more like a cake. The only changes I made were; used 1 cup gluten free flour blend, 1 TBSP chia & 1 TBSP flax meal, all caoca nibs. I used an 8×8 pan. I was hoping for a chewy brownie, what could I change for next time?

• purelytwins says

Samantha glad you liked them, as they do not have a heavy chew to them. If you want more of a chew tapioca starch works good for that so make sure you flour blend has it in it, or add some tapioca in for some of the flour.

12. Lisa Kus says

Was short 1/3 cup banana, so subbed 1/3 c applesauce. Tasted great, but perhaps a little too moist. Won’t stop me from eating these addicting treats. The fat content concerns me. Gonna try scaling back on the oil. Thank you for a great chia recipe!

13. says

Hello beautiful twins!! This is my first stop-in at your blog and… wow! Your recipes and stories are wonderful! Haha… loved your story about baking your favourite blondie recipe during college. Great job on making it healthy and nutritious, as well as delicious (I love being able to revamp old favourite recipes with healthy ingredients). Can’t wait to try some of your recipes… I just started using cacao nibs so this will be another perfect way to try them out in baked goods! x
    laurasmess recently posted..Apricot, Coconut and Cacao Nib TreatsMy Profile