roasted butternut squash pear ginger hemp seed soup recipe

Healthy recipe for butternut squash pear ginger hemp seed soup.

Happy Halloween friends!

I am so pleased with myself. A big pat on the back if you will.

Well, I finally made soup!

Michelle and I are not usually soup people, but this soup just may have me become a soup lover. Don’t get me wrong, we do like a nice warm bowl of soup from time to time. Just never really take the time to make soups. Even though after making this soup, I forgot how easy they can be to make!

One thing about us and our soups…we like our soups really thick, almost pudding like just like our protein sludges. Yes some of our ways of eating may seem odd.

Back to soup making.

I got a large butternut squash from Trader Joe’s last week and told myself I was going to make soup out of it! I told myself I was not just going to chop and roast like I normally do, that I was going to do something different with it…like a soup. And folks that’s exactly what I did!

I browsed my kitchen cupboards deciding what flavorings I wanted to add to this soup. You know, to jazz it up.

Fresh ginger and hemp seeds came to mind! Two of my favorites.

I thought the hemp seeds would provide a nice soft nutty flavor and extra creaminess to the soup!

And for the ginger part, well that is easy. Michelle and I love finding any excuse to use fresh ginger.

Now you can add more or less fresh ginger to the soup, all depends how much ginger you like. For Michelle and I, we are not the normal so we tend to add a lot of ginger to things. We love the flavor as well as love how it jump starts our metabolism and helps with digestion!

Keep in mind with this soup recipe…you can add more or less liquid to reach your desired thickness. Like I mentioned earlier, I like my soups thick and hearty. So I did not do that much liquid, which I used water. If you want even more flavor and creaminess try coconut milk, almond or hemp seed milk; could also use veggie broth. I like water so I used water ;)  Plus I thought from the butternut squash to the hemp seeds it was creamy enough. Please adjust to your tastebuds.

Also for a little extra flavor I added in some cinnamon and allspice. I felt they helped complete the soup. I added a pear for some natural sweetness, you can use apples if you prefer.

In addition, topping your bowl of soup with more hemp seeds and a little coconut oil is a nice touch!

I tried my best to keep this soup’s ingredient list simple. And wanted the soup to be easy to make, which is was!

roasted butternut squash pear ginger hemp seed soup recipe

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 5-6 cups soup (depending on how much liquid you add)

A healthy recipe for roasted butternut squash pear ginger hemp seed soup recipe. Gluten-free. Real foods. Vegan. Paleo.

• 1 large butternut squash, peeled and chopped (about 4 cups chopped and roasted)
  • 1 medium leek, sauted
  • 1-2 inches fresh ginger, peeled
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 pear, sauted (I used D’Anjou pear)
  • 1/2 cup hemp seeds
  • 2-3 cups liquid of choice (water, veggie stock, or coconut milk, hemp seed milk, or almond milk)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon all spice (or can do 1/8 tsp cloves and 1/4 tsp nutmeg)
  • coconut oil for roasted squash and sauteing leek and pear

1. Pre-heat oven for 350 degrees.
  2. Peel and chop butternut squash, lightly coat with some coconut oil.
  3. Place chopped squash on cookie sheet, put in oven and roast for about 30-35 minutes, or till soft and tender.
  4. While squash is roasting, chop and sautee your leek and pear on the skillet.
  5. While those are sauteing place you spices and hemp seeds into Vita-mix or high powered blender.
  6. Once hemp seeds and pear are done place into blender. Blend.
  7. Once butternut squash is soft, place into blender and continue to blend.
  8. Begin adding in your liquid one cup at a time, till everything is blended and you reach your desired thickness or texture of soup.
  9. For mine I actually used about just 1 1/2- 1 3/4 cups water and it was nice and thick.

This soup is perfect for warming up the insides on these chilly fall days. Enjoy!

May my soup making adventures continue…

Twins question: Do you like making soups? What is your favorite soup? Any other fresh ginger fans out there?

And thanks to FitSugar for mentioning our brownie pumpkin Halloween inspired cupcakes for their Vegan Halloween sweet treats!!

Here are some  more great easy Halloween sweet treats that are favorites of ours in addition to our Halloween cupcakes:

cashew beet donuts

orange gingerbread bundt cakes

triple layer mini protein chocolate brownie cakes

raw bon bons

Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Halloween!

Trick or Treat from the purelytwins

1. says

yes i have most of these ingredients already! i love hemp seeds lately…just really enjoying a little nutty crunch on my salads/soups. i’m a huge soup fan but only really in the cold months and it’s a great way for me to use up my produce :) LOVE fresh ginger!

my fave soup is a coconut-curry-parsnip version i make very often during the winter!
    the delicate place recently posted..the best natural deodorant. ever.My Profile

2. says

I have fallen madly in love with butternut squash this year! My hubby isn’t a fan of squash, but he loves butternut. I made Gena’s puree with tahini and Angela’s vegan mac & cheese last week, seriously delicious!

I love the flavor combo of your soup, I add ginger to absolutely everything, especially green smoothies and green juice. Looks like I need to do some roasting tonight!
    Christa @ Edible Balance recently posted..One Step at a TimeMy Profile

3. says

I usually never make soups either, but after trying a few out I’m totally addicted now. This one looks so good! I love ginger too! It’s like with cinnamon, I use extreme amounts of it.
    Lisa recently posted..Pain In My NeckMy Profile

4. says

This looks so delicious! Thanks for throwing out other options for the liquid besides broth, I feel so many soup recipes in the blog world call for broth alone and when I sub with h2o the flavor is completely messed with. Ohhh coconut milk sounds divine here!
    Nicole recently posted..7 Hours: Uninterrupted Sleep!My Profile

5. says

Wow, I cannot WAIT to make this. We’re not really having soup weather in Houston right now, but I don’t care! I love a butternut squash soup. Ginger sounds amazing in it, and I love the idea of coconut oil on top too! I’ve been roasting all of my squash with coconut oil and it’s soo good, so that sounds amazing.
    What is the best way to peel a raw squash? I usually cook mine first, I’ve always been a bit intimidated by the peeling! But I’m ready to give it a try ;)

6. says

Oh là là, these are all of my favorite things in one bowl. Amazing recipe, can’t wait to try! Happy Halloween ladies!! Thanks for the “hemp” with a lunch/dinner idea! (PS There is a guy here in France who is a hemp farmer and grows his own hemp seeds, they are SO good, if you girls are hemp addicts, you will notice the difference between those and the more commercial ones in the states (nutiva, navitas, manitoba, etc – all great, but no comparison!) which hemp seeds do you usually use, maybe there is an equivalent I don’t know about?) xx Cannabis-addict-in-Paris ;)
    Rebecca recently posted..Bond, Ben (Affleck) and BonnaireMy Profile

7. says

I still need to make that pumpkin pie fudge! It looks too good!

I’ve always wanted to make my own coconut butter. I have a recipe from a book that looked so simple. I think she added a little coconut oil though. Yours looks so simple and amazing. Thanks so much! I find it’s so expensive to buy and I have a whole thing of coconut flakes to use up!
    Laury recently posted..Molten Chocolate Pudding Loaf {Grain-Free!}My Profile

• purelytwins says

Laury we were the same way, we had all these flakes sitting around and finally told ourselves to do it, and happy we did :)

8. says

Hemp seeds! That’s a great twist on butternut squash pear soup, I can see that they would really work and perhaps make a nice garnish, too. I like to put ripe fresh pear in my butternut squash soup, too. You are right that apple can also work. I make my butternut squash pear soup savory with sage and oregano. I like the idea of the bright ginger in yours, that would also be perfect for warding off a winter cold.
    Mary @ Fit and Fed recently posted..Butternut Squash and Pear SoupMy Profile

9. Linda S says

I finally got around to making this and I just wanted to let you know that it is absolutely delicious!! Thanks for the recipe :)

10. says

Hemp seed! That’s an incredible pose with butternut melons pear soup, I’m able to note that they can actually work and possibly come up with a wonderful garnish, as well. I like to fit vine ripened fresh new pear within my butternut melons soup, as well. You’re correct which apple could also work. My spouse and i make my own butternut melons pear soup savory together with sage in addition to oregano. I like the idea of your brilliant ginger in your own house, that could in addition possibly be perfect for preventing some sort of winter chilly.