I was trying to work on this post late last night and was having a hard time with how I wanted the pictures to look. Decided to keep it simple. This morning I got up and finished the editing, while sipping on my coffee in hopes it would inspire me in some way. It did! Or maybe it was the egg veggie mixture that inspired me. I hope you enjoy today’s recipe as Michelle and I are excited to make it again.
We know the holidays are still a good bit away –>though before we know it it will be Christmas.
What can we say we love this time of year and get excited for it every time.
We are already thinking of great finger food to have when guests are over. Or when a healthy easy appetizer recipe is needed.
Or if you are just looking for a great snack or side dish.
This recipe is perfect for all those needs!
Quick easy appetizer recipe. Homemade lentil flatbread with roasted pepper sunflower seed spread!
It has been awhile since we have done anything with lentils. So while browsing the bulk dry bins at Whole Foods a few days ago, we decided to get some lentils knowing that a recipe would pop into our heads when the time was right.
And the time was right the other day when these bite-size lentil based flatbreads were created. Of course you could eat the lentil flatbread plain like we sometimes do.
Or… you could jazz it up with a fancy spread like our roasted pepper sunflower seed spread to be exact. Excellent choice!
We have made this flatbread based out of lentils before when we were on a HUGE socca style bread kick. Oh those were the days.
We used green lentils for the recipe, you could use any lentil you like.
Take your whole lentils (about 1 cup worth of whole lentils) and place in your Vita-Mix, or any high power blender to grind into lentil flour! You could use a food processor but we find our Vita-Mix does it the best, another reason why we love that blender. Once you grind your 1 cup whole lentils it should make about 3/4 cup ground lentil flour.
Once your flatbread is done in the oven, let cool a little before removing from pan.
Can’t even tell you how amazing these recipes are! And loved them even more together. Like a match made in heaven.
Homemade gluten-free vegan lentil flatbread with roasted pepper sunflower spread.
What is not to love? You got lentils, roasted peppers, sunflower seeds!
We even added in some of our favorite spices to bring more depth into our homemade flatbread. Love smoked paprika in this recipe.
One of the easiest appetizer finger food recipe you’ll ever make. Promise. Your guest will love it.
Because who doesn’t love eating with their hands?
lentil flatbread recipe (gluten-free, egg-free, nut-free, dairy-free)
A healthy gluten-free bread alternative made from lentils. A simple flatbread recipe that is egg-free, dairy-free and nut-free.
- 3/4 cup lentil flour *take 1 cup whole lentils and grind into flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast *or you could do 1/4 cup more lentil flour or garbanzo bean flour
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- coconut oil in pan
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grab a bowl. Start to place your lentil flour in the large bowl. Add in your other ingredients: sea salt, nutritional yeast, spices.
- Stir till everything combined. Next add in some of your roasted pepper sunflower spread, this is optional *recipe below.
- End with adding in your water. Continue to stir.
- Grab a cupcake/muffin pan and lightly oil, we used coconut oil but you could use olive oil. Place pan into hot oven for 2 minutes to warm the oil. Remove from oven to scoop batter into pan.
- Place pan back into over to make about 25-30 minutes or till lentil flatbread feels firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool a little before removing from pan.
- Makes 12 bite-size flatbreads or could bake in one large 8 or 10 inch pan and make slices out of it.
All rights reserved to Purelytwins.com
*this spread was inspired by our mac-nut kale pesto
roasted pepper sunflower spread (gluten-free, grain-free, vegan)
A flavorful healthy spread to serve with veggies or toast. Gluten-free vegan grain-free dip made from sunflower seeds and peppers.
- 1/2 cup roasted pepper, slices
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, whole
- 1 juice of a lemon
- 1 cup fresh basil
- about 1/3 – 1/2 cup or so olive oil *adjust amount depending on the final texture you want for your spread
- Place roasted peppers, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, basil into your Vita-mix or you could use a food processor.
- Mix till ingredients start to come together, it will be thick.
- Next add in your olive oil.
- Slowly pour it in as your amount might vary depending on how thick you like your spreads.
- We left ours a little on the chunky side.
All rights reserved to Purelytwins.com
We know what we will be making for our guests this holiday season!
till next time,
Disclosure: In order to support our blogging activities, we may receive monetary compensation for our recommendations and/or links to any products from this blog. Please note, we only endorse products that are in alignment with Purely Twins values and we believe would benefit of our readers. Some post may have affiliate links, which means if you buy something through these links, Purely Twins gets a small percentage at no extra cost to you. We appreciate the support as it helps keep Purely Twins going!