single serving baked thin mint cake

Loved hearing everyone’s guesses on Lori’s instagram picture of today’s recipe. Some of you had some great guesses and idea! Thanks.

If you fell in love with one of the most popular recipe on our blog – our original thin protein thin mints, then you will adore today’s recipe!

Since the weather is slowly starting to get a little chilly (in some areas) you may not always want to grab a cold thin mint  out of the fridge or freezer –>or maybe you would.

But instead of a cold treat  you would like something warm and comforting!

You probably realize by now that we LOVE chocolate and mint together.  Anything with those two flavors together we go crazy about.

We loved the girl scouts thin mints growing up, hence why we created our ‘healthy’ protein packed thin mint that we still have almost on a daily basis.

This baked version of our protein thin mint is becoming a new nightly ritual, sometimes even midday little chocolately treat. Sometimes we might have 3 mini cakes in one day, (we drink a lot of water to push that fiber through us) we are not ashamed as this thin mint cake is that good. You have been warned.

In addition to being a very simple recipe to make , we kept it vegan. Seriously, one of the best vegan chocolate cakes we have had in a long time!

And do not worry if you do not have some of the ingredients on hand, we have created several different variations of this individual thin mint cake to hopefully satisfy everyone.

In addition, there is a new ingredient  that we have been playing around with. It is not something necessarily new to gluten free or vegan baking, but somewhat new to us. As we have never really played around with it much before.  It is safe to say now… we LOVE IT!

What ingredient are we talking about you may be thinking?

psyllium husk

Heard of it? Tried it?

For some reason we are really liking psyllium husk flakes. And bonus our stomachs seem to like it too ;)

We actually preferring using psyllium husk for an egg replacer in recipes over flax or chia lately. We are still experimenting with it in other recipes but for this baked thin mint cake it is perfect!!! Holds the cake together perfectly as well as gives it a nice chew.

We are in love.  And think you will be too!

You could even look at this single serving cake as a flourless chocolatecake since we do not use traditional ‘flours’ in the recipe.

Here are the rough average nutritional stats (based off the original recipe and using stevia):  one cake- 105 calories, 2g fat, 2g sugar, 12.75g fiber, and 6.25g protein. Now when you use chia or flax in it, or more hemp and no mesquite it will be different, but similar. So you get a feeling for what one cake is roughly like! Not bad little over 100 calories and almost 13g of fiber!!!

We made other versions of this single serving thin mint cake. One being based out of chia seeds.

Another version of this single serving baked thin mint was made with flax.

Now do yourself a favor and make this delightful little single serving chocolate thin mint cake!

Your welcome.

till next time,

purelytwins

Twin sisters. Personal trainers. Creators of Purely Fit Life online workout club. Helping and inspiring others to get strong and fit at home. Cookbook authors of 3 allergy-friendly ebooks. Bakers. Bloggers. Youtubers. Enjoy a balanced lifestyle with a focus on real food. Love inspiring others to become happy and fit in all parts of life.

A trusted source for all things health, fitness, recipes, and happiness. Every article is real, relatable, and with a side of fun :)

Follow along as Lori shares her journey of being pregnant with her first child.

Learn more about the purely twins and what you’ll find on the blog

Facebook   Twitter   Google+   YouTube

40 Responses to single serving baked thin mint cake

1. Awesomeness! Gotta love flourless – less carbs and I’m all for it!
    Kammie @ Sensual Appeal recently posted..What I Ate Wednesdays & Grocery HaulMy Profile

2. Love everything about this!!! Cannot wait to try it out! I love psyllium husk too and wish I saw it in more recipes! I love discovering new ways to incorporate it into my diet!
    Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..What I ate WednesdayMy Profile

3. Tamikko says:

I am in love with this recipe! I love chocolate and mint together. I’m going to make one (or probably more) and add some icing, to eat when everyone is having cupcakes for my daughters 5th birthday today. Perfect timing girls! Love what you do and appreciate you so much. I’m just about to make one of your other ramekin muffins for breakfast :)

4. Brooke says:

love these! What is psyllium husk and where do you guys buy yours? I am sensitive to Flaxmeal and am worried that I am also sensitive to Chia seeds for some reason.

Also LOVE the thin mint cookie recipe. I did not have coconut oil on hand and used cacao butter and they were a bit harder (more like a chocolate bar) but they were still so good.

• purelytwins says:

Brooke, we have done the same with our thin mints and used cacao, does make them harder but still tasty :)
      Psyllium is the husk of the seed of the Plantain, Psyllium has also been used for irritable bowel syndrome has it is a great form of fiber!
      We bought ours from Whole Foods, we got the whole psyllium husk flakes, think you get it off online like at amazon or iherb.

5. katty lea says:

Great ideas! Can’t wait to try this recipe.

What does Psyllium do in the recipe? Is it purely nutritional? Or is a consistency thing..?

Thanks!
    katty lea recently posted..a hop-related…situationMy Profile

6. This is fantastic and I love the variations! I used top use Psyllium husk A LOT back in the day…talking 7-8 years ago. I just started experimenting with it again in grain-free baking recipes thanks to Maria Emmerich.

Can’t wait to try this cake!!!
    Laury@TheFitnessDish recently posted..What A BuboutMy Profile

7. Linda Stevenson says:

Is the psyllium husk in whole or powder form? I am assuming whole because how could a powder replace an egg? I am trying to stock up on these ingredients and the you come up with new ones! Lol

8. Ana says:

Looks and sounds delicious!
    I want to try the first version, do you think using 1 tbsp rice protein in place of the mesquite would work? The mesquite is the only ingredient I don’t have…
    So, which one of the three versions did you like the best?
    Ana

• purelytwins says:

Love the first recipe the best!! You could do rice protein and see what happens, it should still come out. Sometimes I have even done 1/4+1/8 tsp baking soda to give that little extra lift I want out of the cake ;) let me know how it goes!

9. I love mini things!!! I’m not a huge mint + chocolate fan, but I think my roommate would love this!!!
    Liz @ iheartvegtables recently posted..Food Journaling- The DetailsMy Profile

10. Lisa says:

Every version looks great!
    I have been enjoying psyllium lately as well–what a great addition to the kitchen repertoire!

11. Oh yum – these look fantastic and easy! I think the chia version is the one I would try, I’ll have to pin this so I remember. :)
    Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Vegan Sausage Gravy & Biscuits {Recipe}My Profile

12. michaela says:

looks so good! is there anything i could use instead of hemp protein? just hemp seeds perhaps?

thanks!

13. These cakes look delish girls! Looks so easy. I love psyllium too. Some of my fave recipes use it. Since Im not a microwave girl, I’d try this in the oven – what temp would you recommend baking at and for how long?
    Heather @ Sweetly Raw recently posted..Avocado Lime CheesecakeMy Profile

14. Meg says:

oh girls! I love this! Will have to make this. There are SO many recipes I HAVE to make of yours <3 I've made a few and have loved all of them <3 Of course <3 I mean, I could be your long lost sister right, Lori???? ;) Hehe! <3

Love both of you!

P.s. DAVIDsTEA has chocolate mint rooibos and you would LOVE it <3
    Meg recently posted..High Five Friday #33My Profile

15. Wendy says:

Just made this for the first time! I had my doubts..umm, of course you succeed again! It’s amazing! Thank you!

16. Hailey says:

This was great! I made plenty of changes to this recipe to suit my needs but I’ve already made 4 of them so far! They are delicious. I did use whole chia seeds and it worked to hold everything together. My remake of this recipe was 3/4 T carob powder, 2 T soy protein powder, about 1 T chia seeds, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp coconut sap, 1/4 tsp peppermint extract, 1, T fava bean/garbanzo flour, and water to hold it all together. I popped these in the microwave. Perfection! Thanks for the recipe :)

17. Patti says:

This is a winner! I modified the recipe based on ingredients I had on hand but yummy!!!

18. What a neat way to use psyllium! I tried it with both carob and cocoa and liked both versions. I can’t wait to try this with maca instead of mesquite and peppermint. :-)

I find I get bloated with too much psyllium.. Do I need to gradually add it to my diet?

19. Kristine says:

So I have given up chocolate for lent. Do you ladies think this would work of I replaced the hemp and cacao with a vanilla protein powder or maybe just sub carob for the cocoa? PS- Enjoy the Princess!

20. Kyra says:

What is mesquite, what does it do in a recipe, and where do u buy it?

21. Kelly says:

Can carob or lucuma be used?

What brand of cocoa do u like?

I’ve never tried psyllium…. Is it gut friendly?

• purelytwins says:

yes you can try using carob or lucuma, we love navitas naturals and ultimate superfoods raw cacao powder.
      if you have psyllium husk just a few times a week (not go overboard with it), we think it can be ok for the gut. but again we find we can’t have it everyday