vegan chia protein muffin

Do you remember our first vegan protein muffin?

Well awhile back we got request if that recipe could be made with chia seeds and not flax meal. So, we tried it out.

Recipe for gluten-free egg-free chia seed protein muffin

And using whole chia seeds worked! Though it was a little on the chewy side but still good.

Sometimes when we do a recipe using flax meal and then try it again with chia seeds it does not always come out. After trying whole chia seeds we decided to try it with chia flour (ground up chia seeds) and does work a little better than the seeds, but has a stronger ‘chia seed’ taste. This is one reason we tend to use flax in a lot of our recipes.

Although with this vegan protein muffin recipe, we found chia seeds to work perfectly.

A nice change in texture compared to using flax.

vegan chia protein muffin (gluten-free, low sugar)

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

serves 1 -2

vegan chia protein muffin (gluten-free, low sugar)

A recipe for egg-free gluten-free chia seed protein muffin. Low-sugar healthy muffin that serves 1 -2.

• 1/4 cup protein powder (we used chocolate protein powder)
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon liquid stevia (adjust to taste, add in more if you want it more sweet)
  • 4 tablespoons water

1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Place protein powder and chia seeds into a bowl.
  3. Next add in your baking soda and baking powder and stevia.
  4. Begin to stir.
  5. (if you do not want to use stevia in this recipe, use about 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite sugar)
  6. Next add in your water.
  7. Start slow as different protein powders vary in how much water they absorb!
  8. You can use a non-dairy milk alternative if you would like.
  9. Once mixed together, place muffin batter into a lightly coconut oiled pan.
  10. Bake for about 20 minutes.

Take out from warm oven let cool slightly and then enjoy.

A perfect traveling snack that is full of protein and fiber! That should keep you full and focused.

Do you find yourself using chia or flax more in recipes?

Do you like chia seed flour to bake with?

What do you like better chia seeds or flax seeds?

NEW blog signature-01

1. LINDA says

I was wondering, if it is really necessary to bake these, or is it safe to shape, and eat?

I have a real liking for flaxseed, ground but am sprouting some today.

2. says

i wish i could get behind chia but unless it’s totally blitzed out in a smoothie i cannot handle the taste/texture :( flax though is nutty enough that i can palate it. i don’t bake with anything really except for an herbed flax bread. other than that, my desserts are raw from nut flours.
    The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) recently part IIMy Profile

3. says

Great recipe! I love chia, and have never really noticed a strong taste from it… guess I’m not really sensitive to whatever flavor it would be.

Is this just for one muffin? I wonder if you could microwave it!

4. says

Sounds awesome! Perfect snack with healthy fats and protein. That is a win for me! I prefer chia seeds compared to flax. I’m just not a complete flax seed fan because of the taste and I love how chias puffs everything up.
    Lisa recently posted..Protein-y Eats and Easy DinnersMy Profile

5. Bee says

What brand of protein powder do u two generally use?

Have you tried Sun Warrior? They have two types: Rice and Warrior blend. Which do u like best?

This looks delish…and I like the idea of the pudding!

6. chris says

I have been using chia in your original vegan recipe for quite some time! I much prefer chia seed to flax.

I have not found it to be overly strong in taste or more chewy. I noticed that using chia makes the muffin a little more moist.

I have not tried to make it with whole chia seeds (I definitely will)! What is your preference?

When using chia flour, this is what I have found:
    I use about 6 1/2-7 Tbsp of water instead of just 4…maybe this is why yours was too chewy…because chia is super absorbant, I thought I would need to add water…perfectly moist muffin results!

I increase baking time to about 25-27 minutes.

Please use chia flour more often…even to replace some nut flour. It is so healthy and does not go rancid as easily as does flax.

7. chris says

Do you use the chocolate Sunwarrior protein or the chocolate vega protein in these muffins? It is unclear from the video post. Also, do you use Vega sport performance protein or Vega One?
    Thanks, girls!
    I use them all, but in the muffins I have only used the Sunwarrior…it’s cheaper than vega, which I use for shakes everyday. Although I love the sport protein, too, did you notice how high in sodium it is? This made me stop using it everyday. The Vega smoothie mix is also really good…protein but without the extra vitamins of Vega One, so it is a bit more economical.

8. Laura says

I love love love these!!! They’re perfect for my gym –> work mornings. I find that the recipe makes two regular size muffins or seven mini muffins. Yum!

9. Chantal says

Hi twins !
    A question, why use protein powder ? and any suggestions on how to substitute it ?
    thank you a lot.
    Love your website/blog and love the recipes. Amazing creativity you girls have !

Love from Switzerland

• purelytwins says

Chantal we used protein powder because we were trying to make a high protein healthy muffin as a snack, instead of using flour. So protein powder was a great choice for us.