Hello friends!

We have been doing a new plank workout lately. Actually, we have been doing it for about 3 weeks now. And we are loving it.

We felt we needed to change up our basicย 5 minutes plank holding to incorporate more exercises during those 5 minutes. Plus this way it helps pass the time. ๐Ÿ˜‰ย

Our new plank workout is still 5 minutes long but we do it in intervals using ourย  Gymboss Interval Timer.

During our first plank workout (we plan to create more), weย  have been setting our Gymboss Interval Timer forย  30/30 second intervalsย  for 5 rounds, equaling 5 minutes.

Again if you can’t do the 5 minutes, then please adjust your intervals for your fitness level.

We also did a video yesterday showing how we do our 5 minute plank workout. Each 30 seconds we do a different exercise, in the video we explain and show more. Check it out when you have time.

Lori and Michelle

If you want to ย more great real time full length workouts. Workouts that won’t take hours out of your busy day yet will give you amazing results. Join our online training club to start your fitness journey.

See you in the next workout.

Lori (and Michelle)

If you’re new to Purely Twins join our tribe and get updates:

Pinterest – purelytwins

Instagram – @purelytwins and @purelytwinsfitness

Snapchat – loriandmichelle

Youtube – purelytwins and pure2rawtwins

Facebook – purelytwins

Please note that affiliate links may pop up on PT occasionally. When you click and purchase we receive a small percentage. This allows us to keep blogging! We greatly appreciate your support!

plankchallengeadblog

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

48 thoughts on “5 minute plank workout

1. Because of you girls, I am up to a 2 minute plank! Thank you! And now, I’m addicted to protein thin mints, too. Thank you? ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 4:29 pm
    1. Awesome Chelsea!!

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 5:33 pm
  2. I still need to work on my planks! Such a great idea to change up every 30 seconds.

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 4:53 pm
  3. I LOVE planks. I do a 6 minute rotation and I swear it’s the single best exercise you can do to tighten your tummy.

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 5:01 pm
  4. gosh you gals are awesome. maybe i can try this tonight. Or i might use it in my next class! COOL!

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 5:03 pm
    1. Yes Lindsay! Let us know how you like it

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 5:34 pm
  5. You know I’m doing my planks and love them thanks to you two!

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 6:15 pm
    1. Sarena ๐Ÿ˜‰ yay!

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm
  6. This is great! I’m still working on getting to the 5 minute plank (at 3 minutes!) but this is an awesome variation. I will definitely do this. Thanks ladies!

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 6:33 pm
    1. Thanks Megan, let us know if you try it!

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm
  7. I love this workout! You both motivated me to work on my plank and I got up to 5 minutes a couple weeks ago. Me and my more defined abs thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ This will be a great way to mix it up now!

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 6:44 pm
    1. Awesome to hear Gabby!! let us know how you like it

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 7:21 pm
      1. Just tried it out! Man it’s tough but I love how it really works the whole body in 5 min. Thanks again ladies!

Posted on July 6, 2012 at 9:20 pm
  8. Definitely in on this! I’ve been keeping up with my planks at least once a week and have worked up to 4 minutes! Almost there!

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 7:19 pm
    1. Awesome Lisa, keep going!!

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 7:21 pm
  9. can’t wait to do this one!

Posted on July 6, 2012 at 2:18 am
  10. Awesome workout, gals!!! I am going to work on this! Thanks for the motivation!!

Posted on July 6, 2012 at 2:51 am
  11. A few weeks ago, I was able to go to 7.5 minutes with plank. I love the mixing up of the movements and more body and muscle utilization this way. The one thing that keeps me going is saying to myself “I can do this. I am strong and healthy. I am creating beautiful muscles in my body.” Saying Positive body affirmations while working out really makes a difference. Thanks for sharing this combination and will put it to work myself. Great inspirations you two are! ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted on July 6, 2012 at 4:31 am
  12. Thank you! I love this. I am up to a 3 minute plank after discovering your blog about a month ago. Planked real time with you this morning for the 3 minutes and going for 3:15 starting next week. Switching exercises every 30 sec made it go by fast! Keep the posts coming!

Posted on July 6, 2012 at 11:32 am
  13. I accept your challenge!! I love my planks, I have a 7 minute one but it has 10 sec rests between each minute. Gotta love a gymboss timer!!

Posted on July 6, 2012 at 12:07 pm
    1. Thanks Jenny!!! yay for plank love ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted on July 6, 2012 at 1:49 pm
  14. Started doing the plank 2 month ago and now i’M up to 3 minutes everyday and i love it;)

Posted on July 6, 2012 at 6:07 pm
  15. You girls and your freakish-ly awesome abs. I’m working on mine. I can do a 3 min plank straight. I’m going to give this a try this weekend!

Posted on July 6, 2012 at 10:14 pm
    1. Scott you are too nice!!!

Posted on July 7, 2012 at 3:04 am
  16. AWESOME workout! Five minutes of planks sounds impossible and not fun at all, but the way you guys mix it up here makes it fly by! And it’s fun! I had to take some breaks, but I’m proud to say I tried all of the variations, and now I feel challenged to keep at it until I can do the whole thing without stopping. I’m really looking forward to the next workout! Thanks, ladies!

Posted on July 7, 2012 at 1:24 am
  17. This is great! I’m not up to five minutes yet, but I hope to get there soon.

Love the button, by the way!

Posted on July 7, 2012 at 6:38 pm
  18. Wow great workout. That was definitely harder than you guys made it look! Had to pause about halfway through but I’m going to work up to the whole 5 min without a break! Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted on July 8, 2012 at 2:31 pm
  19. Hi Michelle and Lori-

I just wanted to let you guys know how much I love your fitness inspiration!

I have been reading your blog for a while, and after seeing how well you guys did, I decided I should do a plank challenge too. I started in mid-May with barely over a minute, and this weekend (both yesterday and today) I finally made it to 5 minutes!

I can’t even tell you how wonderful it feels, and how proud I am. And I have your idea (and your motivational words) to thank ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted on July 8, 2012 at 10:52 pm
    1. Maya this is awesome news!! we are both so happy and honored to have helped you! keep it up ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted on July 8, 2012 at 11:22 pm
  20. I loved this workout! It felt so fast and made me feel so strong! Hoping to do this more after cardio workouts because I can seem to hold in my abs instead of pushing them out.

Posted on July 9, 2012 at 2:48 am
    1. awesome Hailey!!! yay!

Posted on July 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm
  21. Hey ladies…..I tried the bridge you mentioned after the plankworkout for 2 minutes also!!! Brilliant addition and totally loving this workout and the fast muscle tone it’s Producing!!! Btw, also doing the body chin ups (using our dinning room table lol) but added alternate leg lifts at the same time….20 of these each day :0)
    Just wanted to say Merci!!
    Bliss
    Loulou

Posted on July 11, 2012 at 5:20 pm
    1. AWESOME!!! thank you for sharing your progress picture with us on instagram!! so happy for you, and yes we are loving bridge too

Posted on July 11, 2012 at 7:38 pm
  22. Ugh I’ve spent 20 minutes trying to grab the button but can’t figure out which widget to use with my wordpress dashboard on my self hosted site- can you help?

Posted on July 13, 2012 at 6:16 pm
  23. Hi again- I’m wondering if anyone else is having trouble grabbing the button? I tried it, and it didn’t work, and then a computer genius told me how to do it- it was what I had done- so I am sure I’m doing it right. Anyway- just an FYI- I’m trying! ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted on July 14, 2012 at 1:59 am
    1. Deb we updated the code! it should work now, sorry for the trouble.

Posted on July 20, 2012 at 8:33 pm
  24. Awesome! I just found the challenge & am going to begin tonight! I am putting a brand new blog together & will definitely be adding the Plank Challenge Button as soon as I figure out where I want it to go ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted on July 18, 2012 at 10:52 pm
  25. You ladies are so strong! Thanks for sharing this workout! I’ve been doing it but with lots of breaks ๐Ÿ™‚ My goal is 5 minutes ๐Ÿ˜€

Posted on July 19, 2012 at 5:56 am
    1. awesome, keep it up!!!

Posted on July 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm
  26. Thanks for finally talking about >5 minute plank holding workout for the full body <Loved it!

Posted on July 27, 2012 at 7:03 pm
  27. Another core exercise is the abduction exercise that is highly recommended and superb for the outer thighs and hips. This is where one must be on the surface sideways on the floor with a leg atop the other. Use the hands to balance yourself and lift one of the outer legs forming an angle of 45 degrees. The position must be maintained for around two seconds and later the leg must be lowered in a way that returns it to its original posture. The movement should be repeated around ten or so times followed by a roll over towards another side for the same.

Posted on August 3, 2012 at 2:22 pm
  28. So.. My boyfriend is a high school varsity girls soccer coach and asked me to join him at a practice. I asked if I could do a challenge with them ( as on their team they rack up points for winning challenges) .. So I used the 5 min plank workout to start practice ( on wet grass even) . It was great! The girls were screaming! Ha ha. The winner lasted about 4 minutes … they all had a great time with it!

Posted on September 22, 2012 at 9:31 am
    1. Awesome Trisha!!! yay!!!

Posted on September 22, 2012 at 10:16 am
  29. Ok. After seeing your awesome (but childless!) abs on Instagram every morning, I finally looked up your plank workouts. I tried this one first and my abs are burning! Going to keep at it and hopefully I’ll be able to do the whole 5 minutes soon. I’d like to lose the last little bit of my baby tummy ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted on September 25, 2012 at 1:55 am
    1. Andrea yes you can and you will! Just keep at it!

Posted on September 25, 2012 at 8:33 am
  30. Love this plank workout! Looking forward to trying it this afternoon.

Posted on October 9, 2012 at 11:16 am
  31. This is so killer awesome. I love it! And I love the blog as a whole. You two are very inspiring. Thank you.

Posted on November 13, 2012 at 9:01 pm