We know we have been teasing you through our facebook and twitter pictures of our waffle making. But you do not have to be teased anymore, as we have our protein waffle recipe to finally share.
Gluten-free waffle recipe that is full of protein from the protein powder and eggs and full of fiber from the coconut flour.
We used a brown rice protein powder that we got from the local health food store mixed with coconut flour. We know many of you have wanted us to do more recipes using coconut flour. And we have been working hard to provide some more recipes using coconut flour.
These past few days we have studied all different types of waffle recipes. We have researched the history of waffles and what makes a waffle different from a pancake. Do you know the difference?
We found some sites saying there really is no difference besides the look of them. But then there were sites that said waffles usually have more oil or fat in them to help get them crispy compared to a soft pancake. We also learned that some recipes said to whisk the egg whites separate from the egg yolks as this will help in the texture of the waffle. So we gave that technique a try and we liked it.
What do you think? Is there a big difference between waffles and pancakes?
Basically what we were looking for in our waffle recipe was:
- very easy to make.
- tasted great.
- few ingredients.
- light and a little spongy texture.
We feel this recipe meets all those requirements.
This protein powder waffle we feel can be used with any protein powder of your liking. But like we have mentioned many times before, different protein powders will react differently in the recipe. Though any protein powder should work!
Basic Protein Powder Waffles (gluten free, soy free, peanut free, low in sugar)
Our waffles definitely had a brown rice protein flavor to them. We have not been the biggest fans of this particular brown rice protein powder (NutriBiotic vegan rice protein vanilla flavored), which we have been using in our recipes lately. The reason we tried this brand was because a few of you mentioned to us on facebook about using a different protein powder to bake with rather than Sunwarrior and Vega as they are more expensive. As this particular brand is cheaper.
We are really excited to try this recipe out next time with this protein powder. We did not add any special flavorings as we wanted a BASIC vanilla waffle recipe before we started to play around with flavors. It took us 3 different recipes to get to the one we are satisfied with.
We hope you all enjoy! We sure have been eating waffles like crazy around here.
Vegan? We have a vegan coconut flour protein waffle recipe here!
protein powder coconut flour waffle recipe (gluten-free, soy-free, low sugar, can be made grain-free)
A healthy protein packed gluten-free grain-free low sugar coconut flour waffle recipe. A simple waffle recipe made from a few ingredients. Coconut flour brown rice waffles.
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup protein powder (we used brown rice protein powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon Erythritol sugar (or any sugar, if you want to use stevia we recommend about 10-15 drops)
- 1/2 cup coconut based buttermilk (we make our own)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, liquid
- 3 eggs
- Pre-heat your waffle maker.
- In a large bowl place your coconut flour, protein powder and baking soda. Whisk till combined.
- Next separate you egg yolks from your egg whites. Place your egg yolks into your dry ingredients along with your coconut oil and buttermilk, and stir.
- In a separate bowl place your egg whites and whisk for about a minute or so. Then carefully fold in your egg whites into your waffle battle and whisk till combined. By this time your waffle maker should be ready to go. Scoop the waffle batter into the hot waffle maker. Set your waffle maker to whatever setting you like (we did ours in the middle) and let the waffles cook till the maker beeps to let you know they are done. Pop the waffles out of waffle maker onto a plate.
- Topping ideas: coconut oil, maple syrup, honey, whipped cream, butter or whatever you like on your waffles.
All rights reserved to Purelytwins.com
Hope everyone enjoys our take on gluten free coconut flour protein waffles. They are not your average waffle, but we found them to be amazing. Okay maybe we are biased of our recipes, but we have enjoyed these protein waffles for about 5 days in a row now. These protein waffles have become our pre-workout meal. YUM!
Now go make yourself some high protein coconut waffles. We feel these beat any store bought waffle.
Twins Question: What is your favorite meal of the day – breakfast, lunch, dinner? or maybe brunch or dessert?
We have a vegan coconut flour protein waffle recipe here!
till next time,
Disclosure: In order to support our blogging activities, we may receive monetary compensation for our recommendations and/or links to any products from this blog. Please note, we only endorse products that are in alignment with Purely Twins values and we believe would benefit of our readers. Some post may have affiliate links, which means if you buy something through these links, Purely Twins gets a small percentage at no extra cost to you. We appreciate the support as it helps keep Purely Twins going!