another cookie cake recipe

hello friends!

first we want to say hello new readers!!  welcome to the crazy, fun, unpredictable, always changing blog run by us, lori and michelle. please chat with us on twitter or facebook. or check our our fun boards or videos (we got more coming!)

our parents came for a short visit a few weekends ago and through our Instagram life we highlighted our chocolate chip cookie recipe again, which we enjoyed with the folks.

gluten free buckwheat cookie cake

we did make changes to it. we always like to try our recipes with different flours, etc. so we can report how they do.

we also made the cookie cake low in sugar!

in addition to being low in sugar (the chocolate chips contain sugar) we tried this cake with no oil. if you remember we are trying not to have any heated oils to help with our inflammation and Lori’s skin issues. and for the frosting we whipped up a chocolate avocado creamy frosting again low in sugar. we love using avocados as a base for frosting! it is perfect, always makes such an easy and and super healthy frosting in no time!

chocolate avocado frosting

classy work station, haha check out the sauerkraut fermenting away in the background

here are the changes we made to our original gluten free vegan chocolate chip cookie cake recipe:

• no oil, 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup flax meal (no flax gel)
  • 1 cup buckwheat groats that have been ground into flour
  • 3/4 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
  • 1/3 cup xylitol for the sugar instead of agave and sugar
  • 1-2 cup to 3/4 cup water (or almond milk would work)
  • besides these changes we did everything else the same for the cookie cake recipe from the original

chocolate avocado frosting:

• 1 avocado
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2-3 tbsp cocoa powder
  • splash of vanilla
  • a drops of liquid stevia to taste

sorry for the not so great pictures, especially compared to our first time making it.  we took all of these on our iphones at night. and had horrible lighting.

to be honest we were not sure if the recipe would come out,  plus it was a last minute dessert decision. we were not sure if we wanted to share it on the blog, but since we all liked it so much and so many of you wanted to see the recipe. we decided to share despite the horrible pictures.

as you can see everyone seemed to enjoy the buckwheat low sugar cookie cake

the cake itself has some texture due to the buckwheat and almonds since we did not use flours. and it is not sweet! the frosting is the key to completing the cake. you can use any frosting you prefer, just for us

the highlight was this smooth creamy avocado frosting —> luv our healthy fats

there were some leftovers that Lori and I happily enjoyed the next day (side note: this is the one time we had grains in a few weeks, we are still trying to eat as grain free as we can, but not stressing if we have some. going with the flow of life)

even had some of the cookie cake as a pre-workout snack

cookies for a pre-workout snack

not our average pre-workout snack, but it was fun. plus it was that good.

loved every bite of this cookie cake. especially with that frosting!

Twins Question: Does anyone have fun plans this weekend? Anyone else like using avocados for frosting? What is your go to frosting?

well we got a busy day today. off to the doctors as some Lori’s blood work is back, so hopefully some answers for her skin.

Have a great Friday!

till next time,

1. says

I’m working on inflammation too, so I hear ya. Coconut oil isn’t damaged at all by high temps, so it’d be safe to use in this cake! Plus, coconut is great for inflammation anyway. :) BUT, it looks like it turned out beautifully with no oil at all! Good to know it works with xylitol, and love the avocado frosting too. <3
    Amber Shea @Almost Vegan recently posted..Romantic dinner at Blue Bird BistroMy Profile

2. Lauren says

This is great. thanks for sharing guys! About ‘living life’….i love to live a vegan, clean grainfree lifestyle..but i can’t help but get slight anxiety when going to parties, my parents house or vacation with friends who think my lifestyle is ‘annoying’. i try to pack meals, but at the same time, you don’t want to look weird and anti social. if it’s someone’s birthday, should i feel guilty about breaking my lifestyle to have a piece of sugary cake with sugary frosting? eating out is almost easier becuase you can tell the chef what to make, but when dining at a friend’s house or parent’s house it’s diferent and insulting almost. Any suggestions on easing my worries?

• says

Lauren great questions. we used to struggle with this anxiety really bad about 2 years ago. and over the years we have slowly gained the attitude of who cares. this is my body. my health. my choice. and if they are true friends they should support me. but it is still hard. our family used to joke about the way we eat all the time. but over time they are starting to enjoy everything we enjoy. do not be so hard on yourself. let yourself a break now and then if it means to be more social. we all have to find what is most comfortable for us. we know some vegans who would never think of taking a break for social reason, which there is nothing wrong with that. but as we mentioned, everyone is different with different levels “of play” when it comes to diet. we sometimes find ourselves going off course to be more social. we just live in the moment. and start fresh the next day. remember you are still a great person, even if you have a little sugary cake. we hope this helps. we know having anxiety about eating is not fun. HUGS

3. says

Those photos look great! And I like the sound of the cookie cake even better this way! Remember I’d never heard of one before you shared. I’d use quinoa or amaranth instead of buckwheat because of my tummy, but otherwise can’t wait to make time to try this!

This Sunday’s the memorial for our friend’s son, and Sat evening there’s a variety show in town and I’m doing a couple poems–busy w/e!

Excited for Lori’s bloodwork–hope you learn something useful.
    Ela recently posted..Belated Valentine’s Mint Chocolates, Out of the WoodworkMy Profile

4. says

Um. Droolworthy x 10! That’s just like my go to frosting…
    I’m sometimes even guilty of whipping up some warm coconut oil, avocado, carob, and stevia
    as a little treat sometimes.. :)
    You gals are fabulous!
    Amanda recently posted..Feb 17, MotivationMy Profile

5. Meghanne says

I just made this cake last night for myself and my man. I added a bit of vanilla stevia to the batter to sweeten it a bit more, doubled the dark choco chips (cause that’s how I roll) and skipped the frosting putting a little dollop of coconut milk ice cream on top. It was amazing. Almost tasted like a healthy version the ‘just add water’ Snackin Cake my mom used to make when I was a kid! Thanks.

6. Dominika says

quick question, is the buckwheat and almond flour replacing both the gluten-free and coconut flour in the original recipe?

7. says

Waw! Your chocolate chip cookie cake looks just stunning & fabulous & that avocado frosting looks divine & ooh so appetizing!
    I am so going to make this stunning treat this afternoon with my new vitamix! I also bought the dry container to grain my own flours! Yeah!
    I am a big fan of your tasty blog & recipes! They never fail me! You 2 inspire me all the time! :)
    Many greets from a foodie from Belgium! ;)
    Sophie recently posted..Home-made Vegan cashew milk in my vitamix & vegan refreshing vanilla cashew & strawberry smoothies!My Profile