chocolate cardamom tahini mini donuts

Hey luvs,

Thanks for everyone’s tips on getting up for a morning workout!! Today Lori and I did manage to get our workout done in the morning and feel great that we did! Thanks again for the support.

okay if you follow us twitter or instagram, you would have seen me show a picture of a donut, but did not reveal what it was…hehe, until now!

and what is better than a gluten free baked chocolate donut recipe?

a chocolate cardamom donut recipe with a tahini lucuma frosting!

well we got you covered!

baked gluten free donut

just like our cardamom vanilla donuts and vegan vanilla donuts, these are so easy to make (not sure if that is a good thing haha), and beyond tasty! they can be enjoyed plain or with frosting!

mini chocolate donuts

dairy free donut frosting

[print_this]

chocolate donut recipes

pure2raw recipe: Mini Chocolate Cardamom Donuts with Tahini Lucuma Frosting (gluten free, grain free, soy free)

inspired by our cardamom donut and chocolate mint donut

prep time: 5 minutes

baking time: 2-3 minutes per round in donut maker

servings: about 9-12 mini donuts

donut ingredients:

• 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 1/4 cup hazelnut flour/meal (ground up hazelnuts)
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup sugar (we used xyitol)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp cardamom

Directions:

place all dry ingredients into bowl and whisk together. set aside.

next grab your sugar (sugar of choice) and egg and whisk together in mixing bowl. Once that is all mixed together add in your dry ingredients. begin to stir the donut batter.

pre-heat your mini donut maker. once your green light turns off it is ready. begin to scoop your donut batter into each mini donut ring. we used a cookie scooper to help with the scooping (about 1 – 1 1/2 tbsp)

once all rings are filled close the donut maker and let bake for 2-3 minutes. check and see if they feel done. if so remove carefully with a knife.  repeat process till all donut batter has been baked.

remove donuts from pan with a knife. let donuts cool as you make your frosting.

Tahini lucuma frosting

inspired by cashew lucuma frosting, cashew cardamom dip or mock PB

ingredients:

• 1 1/2 tbsp tahini
  • 2 tsp lucuma
  • splash of vanilla
  • 2 tsp water

place frosting ingredients into a bowl and whisk together. will be a thick frosting. adjust amounts to you liking, if you want a thinner frosting add in more water.

now spread your frosting onto your chocolate donuts!

enjoy.

*if you do not have a mini donut maker  you can still make these donuts in a regular donut pan. and bake for about 10-13 minutes at 350. also if you do not have any donut pans then you can make these as mini or regular cupcakes.

[/print_this]

chocolate donut recipe

substitutions for these chocolate donuts:

• carob instead of cocoa
  • almond flour instead of hazelnut
  • and sugar replacement would work, just not a liquid one
  • for a vegan version, follow our mini vegan donut recipe and 2 tbsp cocoa 2 tbsp coconut flour

substitutions for tahini lucuma frosting:

• any nut butter for the tahini
  • coconut butter for the tahini
  • maple syrup instead of lucuma
  • almond or coconut milk for water

mini baked chocolate donut recipe

why did we make these chocolate donuts? well after enjoying our hazelnut cakes and seeing how they came our great. we noticed that recipe had no oil, so we thought lets try a donut without oil. why no oil? we mentioned in our foods that can cause acne post about how we are noticing our bodies do not digest cooked oils that well. so we are trying recipes without oil.

donut chocolate recipe

now go make yourself some healthy baked mini chocolate donuts with no oil!

please let us know your thoughts. we thought these chocolate donuts were perfect that once we made one batch, we went and made more the next day! they are light, airy and just plain old scrumptious.

have a wonderful Friday!

till next time,

Michelle

59 Responses to chocolate cardamom tahini mini donuts

1. You had me had hazelnut chocolate cardamom :-)

2. Priscilla says:

Oh my! Looooooved the pink donut maker!! That’s so pure2raw twins! :D

3. Nikki FYC says:

Yum! Great flavor combo, & beautiful photos. This just got pinned :)
    Nikki FYC recently posted..It’s A Green Drink WeekendMy Profile

4. These are great, the frosting is especially unique. I drizzle tahini over pretty much every meal I make but I never considered it in a ‘sweet’ way. I think you’re on to something for sure, it sounds decadent!

5. Oh my goodness those look tasty!! And I had never heard of lucuma until now!
    Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Dinner, Gymboss, and NikeMy Profile

6. janetha says:

=/ I re-subscribed to your feed and I thought it was working and it turns out it isn’t. Sigh. I will have to keep tabs on checking your posts manually instead of in reader because I hate missing out on what you lovely ladies are up to.

Anyway, these donuts look great and I will make a batch for my vegan friends! We are having a vegan friend watch our house when we go on a trip, so I want to make him a few goodies to leave while we are gone. These would be perfect.

I love using xylitol! I feel like it tastes way better than something like stevia or other sweeteners.
    janetha recently posted..app happy.My Profile

• Sorry Janetha, are new feed does seem to be working on our end, when you click on the RSS link does it say pure2raw/new because that means it is our new feed, and it should work. but sorry for the troubles. and yes we xylitol though we like stevia too just the liquid version.

7. Teresa says:

What kind of donut maker do you guys have? I bought a Bella one from Target and my donuts don’t look like yours plus alot of steam/smoke comes out of it. I am definitely not a professional baker like you guys. Everything you make looks so good!!

• Bella is the brand we got from Target too, yes there is some steam coming out. It is supposed to get better the more you use it, though we still have some steam coming through ours. Hang in there just time you use it, it will get better and the donuts will come out better!!

8. so interesting that these are without oil! it makes me wonder what else oil can be eliminated from!

have a good weekend girls :)

9. That’s it! I am going out this weekend to get a doughnut pan! I need to start making your recipes. Hazelnut flour!??? Sounds awesome!!!!
    Laury @thefitnessdish recently posted..Body Image After Baby ~ Part 2My Profile

10. Charissa says:

You girls! You always make me painfully aware of the fact I do not have a donut pan.
    Charissa recently posted..Instant Frozen YogurtMy Profile

11. Becky says:

I love all your recipes, everything always looks so good! I’ve recently discovered that I have a gluten intolerance and have been avoiding it, along with trying to seriously reduce the amount of sugar I consume. I know you girls do the same and I was hoping you could give some tips/items that would help me out? I’ve never done any gluten free baking but need to learn! I would SOOO appreciate it!
    Becky recently posted..Sugar & Gluten Are Not My FriendsMy Profile

12. Stephanie says:

omg!! stop making me drool over my desk!!!

13. Those donuts look so pretty! :)

14. Caitlin says:

You are geniuses! Those look so good!
    Caitlin recently posted..Happiness GoalsMy Profile

15. Lisa says:

These sound and look amazing—and I think the no oil and hazelnut flour sounds like a great idea!
    Lisa recently posted..Breakfast Fail but Fun with FriendsMy Profile

16. Erica says:

Ve never used hazelnut flour, but i love almond meal so i imagine id like this! Great, healthy alternative
    Erica recently posted..Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Jack PizzaMy Profile

17. Betty says:

Twins, I made the recipe. :)

I can’t say I made the doughnuts.(I don’t have a doughnut pan)

I made cookies. :) I covered the pan in parchment paper. Used about 2 Tbsp scoop.
    Baked 350 for 13 minutes. The cookies were soft, with slightly crunchy edges.

I opted to make ice cream sandwiches with the cookies. :) Soooooo good!

My husband said they were perfect. :)

I had to make some subs, due to not having hazelnut flour or, cardamom.

I used almond flour and, vanilla. :)

Thanks for sharing.

I am going to get a doughnut maker from Target too. Just for the fun of it! :)

18. Your feeds are back! I got 5 of your posts in a row! Woohoo! I’m glad you guys are getting back on track. There has been a lot going on lately, so don’t be so hard on yourselves. The donuts look delicious! I have a date with my kitchen tomorrow and I can’t wait to start baking again! Have a great weekend ladies.
    Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Peanut Chocolate Fudge Topping!My Profile

19. lindsay says:

just when i thought you couldn’t get any more creative, you make this. And i am so glad you proved me wrong. Yes! Love the frosting!!
    lindsay recently posted..Hey Ho, Hike, and Whoa..My Profile

20. These donuts look SO delicious! I need to buy some lucuma, yall always use it in your recipes so it must me a keeper! :) gorgeous photos too!
    Nora @ Natural Noshing recently posted..Saag PaneerMy Profile

21. Karen says:

Hi… These look delicious! Can I find hazelnut flour and lucuma st whole foods?

• Karen not sure possibly, they are starting to offer more and more things lately. if not almond meal would be fine, or you can make your own hazelnut flour in blender or food processor from whole hazelnuts.

22. Your recipes look so yummy! Gotta try some =)
    Heidi @BananaBuzzbomb recently posted..You’re This. I’m That. What’s The Big Deal?My Profile

23. YUM!!! we were on the same tahini thought train today!
    Elizabeth Jarrard recently posted..Healthy Teff Breakfast with Recipe ReduxMy Profile

24. elise says:

whoa does this ever look good. yummmm. i need to find cardamom bc every since i had your biscotti i crave it so much.
    elise recently posted..Slow cooker trickMy Profile

25. Gena says:

I am in love with this tahini and lucuma frosting idea, as they’re two of my all time favorite ingredients. Great, great recipe!
    Gena recently posted..Easy Chocolate Chia Crumble ToppingMy Profile

26. I adore tahini, especially lately! And this looks wonderful, I can’t wait to try and am seriously considering a donut maker for it! :-)
    Christine (The Raw Project) recently posted..Tahini Tempeh Stir FryMy Profile

27. Kerry says:

Your donuts look wonderful! I can’t wait to try these, and and the vanilla cardamom version too. I already have a regular donut pan, but after seeing these I really want a mini donut maker! The minis look like just the right size, and I can’t believe how quick they are to make!

28. Hannah says:

Would it be terrible if I used that lucuma frosting as a dip for apples? It just sounds amazing by itself, no donuts needed! Although, I’m sure they wouldn’t be such a bad addition… ;)
    Hannah recently posted..The Kale ConundrumMy Profile

29. Heathy says:

Oh yummmy!!! Will be pulling put the donut pan soon and trying your donuts!
    Heathy recently posted..Raw Vegan BBQ Wraps and ChocolateMy Profile

30. Neelee says:

any idea on the nutrition info for these?

31. katie says:

these look wonderful! soooo cute! :)

32. Stephanie says:

Made it!!! (and enjoying at this moment). I made 6 muffin “tops” (more like bottoms) from the recipe, and I just did not make the frosting. Still, it tastes amazing!! I actually tried cardamom for the first time and I think I’m liking its interesting flavor! Your recipes always rock :D

33. Laura says:

Wow these look yummy! Where can I get a mini doughnut maker?

34. Kristine says:

These were amazingly delicious. The combination of hazelnut and cocoa was like a nutella doughnut! (but wholesome).