baked mini gluten-free vanilla cardamom cake donuts

stacks of mini donuts

HAPPY FRIDAY FRIENDS!!!

Christmas is just around the corner! all the holiday baking smells in the air! holiday music playing in the back round. what not a better way to start these holiday mornings with some baked mini gluten-free cake donuts. who is with us?

Baked Gluten-Free and Grain-Free Vanilla Cardamom Mini Donuts

vegan baked donuts as you can tell we love making baked donuts. and a few weeks ago Santa came a little early for us this year with giving us a cute little mini donut maker from Target. thanks Santa!

ever since our little donut maker arrived we have been non-stop playing with it. we have had some ugly messes.

but we kept pushing through

singlevanillaminidonut

because we knew we had a great tasting and easy donut recipe to make. and to share.

sharing is what the holidays are all about? sharing tasty treats with friends and family.

but we admit these cute little guys just might be too hard to share. we wanted them all to ourselves.

making baked mini donuts

these mini donuts are not only gluten-free but grain-free as well. we based these donuts out of coconut flour. we just love coconut flour.

*remember when using coconut flour in gluten-free baked goods you will have to adjust your liquids as coconut flour tends to soak everything up!

cardamom cinnamon sugar coated mini donuts

batter of baked gluten free donuts batter will be slightly thick

using donut maker from target close mini donut maker to bake these gluten free donuts

mini gluten free donuts done easy as 1-2-3

baked mini donuts cooling how cute are these mini donuts

glazing donuts with coconut oil lightly oiled donuts with coconut oil then covered in a cinnamon cardamom sugar mix

pouringcoffeedonuts

Serve these mini coconut flour donuts with coffee

coffee and gluten free donuts

what a fun way to start the day! do you agree?

glutenfree cardamom vanilla donuts a little dense with a light crumb

coffeedonutsshots if you love baking with coconut flour then you will love these baked donuts

if not a fan of coconut flour can try almond meal, any gluten free flour blend, or any flour of choice.

if would like vegan try this mini vegan baked donut recipe.

vanilla cardmom coconut donuts and coffee

who knew mini gluten free donuts could be so cute?

now who wants one?

Do  you like mini donuts? Do you like baking with coconut flour?

NEW blog signature-01

Opt In Image
Subscribe for free Updates + Purely Fit Life Tips

Each week you'll receive the latest happenings: free workouts, recipes plus tutorial videos, tips on how to create a life of motivation, health, and beauty, and more. You may read new posts at your own convenience. Welcome to the PT family!

You will receive a welcome pack after signing up with our 4 life tips,
4 healthy recipes and a killer cardio core workout.

52 Responses to baked mini gluten-free vanilla cardamom cake donuts

1. Lisa says:

They look awesome! I’m a big fan of coconut flour–it is so fluffy and amazing!

2. Jessica LeBoeuf says:

Wow, those look decadant and so yummy!!! Did you buy coconut flour or did you grind it yourself?

3. I’ll be right over! These look and sound perfect! I do love my dough pan. It feels so comforting having doughnuts again.
    Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Happy Holidays!My Profile

4. LizAshlee says:

These look amazing..luv the photos! Coconut flours is one of my favorites!! :) Happy Friday!
    LizAshlee recently posted..SO SO SO Simple Holiday TreatsMy Profile

5. Oh my goodness those look DELICIOUS! And your photography is amazing as always.

Happy Holidays, ladies! :)
    Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..Friday FestivitiesMy Profile

6. oh my word. girls. this is the first recipe in a while that absolutely is going to send me to the store to get all the ingredients. it is everything i could crave and want in a donut! and i don’t even like donuts!!! thank you!!! hope you both have the happiest christmas! x
    The Delicate Place recently posted..d.a.n.c.e.My Profile

7. Katie says:

These look so good and are SO cute! Seriously, you girls need to open up a bakery shop somewhere besides on line!

Love the photos too, just make this post even better!

Want to wish you girls and your family Happy Holidays! <3 xoxo
    Katie recently posted..Y.B.C.My Profile

8. Aw, those are so cute! I love the coconut flour – I really need to get some. It looks like they turned out perfectly fluffy using it. And I love the cardamom. It’s one of my favorite spices and yet I hardly ever use it! Need to change that :D
    Heidi @ Food Doodles recently posted..Simply Spiced Hot Apple CiderMy Profile

9. So cute!!! Maybe I need a donut maker for xmas :P
    Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free recently posted..New Year’s Challenge AnnouncementMy Profile

10. LOVE coconut flour in baked goods. I really like its nutty flavor and lightness it gives to them. These are just too cute to eat, almost!

11. lindsay says:

I found a donut pan here! must make some for our holidays. they would love it! NZ style and all. ;)
    Love you ladies.

12. I love this recipe! Coconut flour is great and low in glycemic and I always forget about cardamom but it’s such a great spice!
    Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous recently posted..Toxic Thursdays-Body WashMy Profile

13. Ela says:

Ah, you ladies are so cute and funny! You cracked me up with that “if you don’t have a donut maker…you need to go get one!”

Those pics at the top with the donuts on the cups are gorgeously artsy. And the donuts themselves–well, you know how I feel about cardamom and coconut…Yummy.
    Happy Holidays to you and yours!
    Ela recently posted..Bliss Connect #3: New Goods in the House and Two Recipes From Yesterday’s PicsMy Profile

• Thanks Ela! Hope Santa brings you a donut maker, we just have so much fun with them. Never were donut people before, but love cake, so cake donuts are perfect. haha Hope you have a wonderful Holiday as well!

14. they look tasty and the photography is awesome! merry christmas to you guys!
    jessie ann james recently posted..The Not-So Perfect Christmas This YearMy Profile

15. These look so so good! Coffee and healthy donuts sounds like the perfect holiday morning breakfast! I hope you ladies have a very merry Christmas
    Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..I Prefer ‘See You Soon’My Profile

16. bitt says:

Wow how cute for Christmas! Merry Christmas!

I have lots of coconut flour that I want to use, but I honestly almost never use a recipe that is based around an egg. If you do end up specifically testing it without the egg to know that is works for sure, it would be good to know. I don’t think that the flax egg always works and I can’t afford to be able to waste that many supplies if it doesn’t work. So keep me posted! BTW, a lot of your baking was egg-free? Are you not allergic anymore?

• Bitt, we will have to test it without eggs. In terms of eggs, we were never allergic to eggs. We just went through a period when we did not want them. We have started this past year eating them, but still go through periods of eating and not eating them.

17. hihorosie says:

Oooh yummy! I have an excuse to buy one of those donut bakers….Looks so good!
    hihorosie recently posted..Close-upMy Profile

18. Heather Brandt says:

Do liquid sweeteners like honey or maple syrup work in this recipe?

19. Rachel says:

Cardamom has got to be my favorite spice ever! Thank you for putting it in a donut!
    Rachel recently posted..Vegan Lemon Chia Seed MuffinsMy Profile

20. Julia says:

me me, I want one!!!!! I really need to get on the coconut flour bandwagon, I love all things coconut! For now, I have some almond meal I’ll have to try makign these with.

21. Mama Pea says:

So delicious looking! I’ve been playing with coconut flour and almond flour more and I really will make these this weekend!
    Mama Pea recently posted..Chocolate Covered Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookie Dough FootballsMy Profile

22. Becky says:

Hi, I made these a few times, the first time trying without eggs. I used two tablespoons ground chia seed one time and another time flax seed, added to the dry ingredients. I think the flax may have been a little better. I upped the oil by one tablespoon and used agave instead of sugar. I don’t know at what altitude you girls live, but I’m at close to 5000 and a dry climate, and I guess that’s why it turned out so dry. But I mean, really dry. I added 1/2 to a whole cup more of liquid before it began to resemble the batter in your picture. I tried cooking doughnuts at varying levels of dryness, all the way to a bit more runny than what is in your picture. Anyway, somewhere in there was an ideal amount of liquid, but I neglected to write it down, and it also took a really long time to cook in my donut maker. Like around ten minutes or more for every try of different liquid amounts. I liked the flavor, though, but without eggs this was really hard for me. I’m no good at this. Later I tried the recipe as written with the eggs, and I still had to add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more of water, but this time, they cooked within six to eight minutes and the texture was a lot nicer. I still am not sure they turned out as good as yours. Yours look a lot better. I think I actually liked the flavor better without the eggs, but the texture with the eggs was nicer. So, sorry for the long comment, but I just wanted to let you know what I tried. Thanks for your gorgeous blog and recipes!

23. Rene says:

I made these today for my boys, and they loved them!
    Personally I found they had a bit of an ‘egg-y’ flavour to them, but I still liked the overall flavour.
    The only other difference is that I used speculaas spices and replaced the coconut oil with avocado oil. I also had to add an extra 1/2 cup of water as the batter was quite stiff.
    I found them a little dry and wondered if that is because of baking with coconut flour or could it be because I didn’t use coconut oil?
    I will definitely be baking them again, I think I just need to get my water to the correct amount for my donut maker.
    Thanks for all the great recipes you gals make, I so enjoy making them, and my boys love eating them! They are so happy they can have ‘treats’ again!!

• Rene, glad to hear you all enjoyed them. Baking with coconut flour does tend to make things drier, it is hard to work with. Coconut oil helps add some moisture but also flavor! You could try using your favorite milk or milk alternative for the water to help with the moisture.

24. Rene says:

Thanks girls! I will give it a try with Rice or Almond milk next. Thanks :)

25. Laura says:

Hey, just gonna mention — you didn’t say how much vanilla to put in the vanilla cardamom donuts… :)

26. Lulu says:

Just wondering about stevia? Is it a good substitute for the coconut sugar? I haven’t used it much in baked goods. I’ve been watching your blog for ages and never see you guys use it. What’s the deal with stevia? Is it a good sugar substitute?

27. I would just like to say that you have SAVED our 4th of July. Our tradition has been to make donuts. But having gone gluten free in the past 12 months I was dreading how to make this happen.

Just before we went gluten free I bought a donut maker. After the switch, I searched and searched for recipes that used the donut maker, to no avail. You have not only saved my bacon for the 4th but caused me to get the donut maker out of the mothballs and saved it from the imminent yard sale. Thank you!!!!

28. Donuts were a great hit!!!! I added the vanilla with the eggs and oil – since it isn’t actually in the original recipe – Thanks for saving our holiday!!!!
    Debi Stangeland recently posted..Happy 4th of July ~ My Freedom in PicturesMy Profile

29. Karra Hale says:

I loved the cardamon and cinnamon doughnuts! They are delicious and very enjoyable. I will be making a lot of these! :)

30. ozlem says:

We made the s e tonight and they were a huge success we will definitely make them again I used eggs and had to add some liquid and I added soy milk creamer and coconut sugar yummy I only have a few left for tomorrow’s lunch boxes next time I may double the batch thanks!!

31. Sandra says:

What is cardamon and what can be used as a sub?