A simple flatbread recipe that is gluten free and requires no eggs. Socca recipe to enjoy any time you want something warm and comforting.

A simple healthy gluten-free egg-free flatbread made out of garbanzo bean flour, olive oil, salt and water We love SOCCA. Crazy how easy it is make. A warm comforting bread that is great by itself or with a meal.

Socca.

Oh where do we begin.

A simple gluten-free flatbread made from garbanzo bean flour, sea salt, water and olive oil.

How to make socca.

Lori traveled to France and was first introduced to socca there.

When she returned it was the first thing she made me, as she knew it would be something I would love too.

And I did.

Gluten-free egg-free socca bread recipe

Socca recipe. A bread like recipe made from garbanzo bean flour. The easiest recipe ever. A gluten-free flatbread that requires no eggs or yeast. Only 3 ingredients too. Click to get your recipe for socca.

We literally could eat socca every day.

No need to travel to France to enjoy this delicious bread.

You can make it easily in your own home.

Gluten-free egg-free socca recipe

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

serves 2 - 3

Gluten-free egg-free socca recipe

Socca. A super easy bread recipe made out of garbanzo bean flour, salt, olive oil and water. Gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and egg-free flatbread recipe.

Ingredients

• 1 cup garbanzo bean flour
  • 1 cup water
  • pinch or two of sea salt
  • 3 tbsp olive oil

Directions

1. Pre heat oven to 375.
  2. Place water, salt and flour into bowl and mix well together.
  3. Put the oil in 9 in circle pan and place in oven to heat up for a few minutes.
  4. Then pull pan out and pour batter in hot oil.
  5. Place back in oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
  6. Flip the socca and bake for additional 10 minutes.

We’ve also made it in a skillet.

Skillet socca

• 3/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
  • 1 cup water
  • pinch or two of sea salt
  • 2 tbsp oil (we use mostly coconut oil, but have done olive oil)

Whisk together in a bowl in pour into hot oiled skillet.

We added fresh rosemary to our batter too!

Enjoy!

Don’t love garbanzo bean? Make plantain socca.

Lori and Michelle

If you’re new to Purely Twins join our tribe and get updates:

Pinterest – purelytwins

Instagram – @purelytwins and @purelytwinsfitness

Snapchat – loriandmichelle

Youtube – purelytwins and pure2rawtwins

Facebook – purelytwins

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

39 thoughts on “Gluten-free vegan socca – garbanzo bean flatbread

1. Your socca always looks so good! YUM! Have a great week ladies!

Posted on September 20, 2010 at 6:31 am
  2. Oooh, I was checking out your BIG socca post last night!! I so want to try this!

Posted on September 20, 2010 at 6:36 am
  3. Oh yes, I’m making it this way. YUM! Thanks for sharing, girls!

Posted on September 20, 2010 at 7:00 am
  4. voting for you guys, I’m a contestant too!

Love the socco–it looks like easy ingredients, a wee bit complicated, but very delicious!

Posted on September 20, 2010 at 7:19 am
  5. Sounds like a great way to make socca. Thanks again for creating the brownie recipe I made today – they are fantastic! (and in response to your comment on my blog – the cherry porridge is definitely amazing especially with dried cherries.) 🙂

Posted on September 20, 2010 at 7:36 am
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog! This socca looks incredible!!! I want to make so many things with it! Thank you!

Posted on September 20, 2010 at 7:53 am
  7. that looks soooooo good! can you make socca with almond or coconut flour? or is it a chickpea only kinda thing? i’m gluten and dairy free and def interested in expanding my “creations”

Posted on September 20, 2010 at 8:46 am
    1. Melissa – if you want ethnic socca then yes it is chickpea based, but of course you can use whatever flour you would like, it might come out a little different.

Posted on September 20, 2010 at 9:06 am
  8. Love how simple this recipe is! And it’s gluten-free too!? Perfect. We will def be making a socca soon.

Posted on September 20, 2010 at 9:08 am
  9. Seriously, your socca kills me every time.

Posted on September 20, 2010 at 9:31 am
  10. This looks wonderful, I can’t wait to try it. I haven’t worked with garbanzo bean flour yet and this would be a great way to start. Thanks!

Posted on September 20, 2010 at 10:02 am
  11. The Socca Queens! Looks great! I need to make some more soon. 😉

Posted on September 20, 2010 at 1:08 pm
  12. That socca looks particularly scrumptious lovelies! x x x

Posted on September 20, 2010 at 3:02 pm
  13. I can’t do it!!!!!!!! hahaha… I tried again, and it turned into a big fat mess.

Posted on January 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm
    1. Oh no Jessica…what happened? It takes some time getting it just right before flipping it. Sometimes we still mess up but it still always taste great even if it is not the prettiest LOL One idea is doing one cup garbanzo bean flour to one cup water, sometimes doing equal amounts works better 🙂 Let me know if there is anything else!!!

Posted on January 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm
  14. I just wanted to share a link that I found today.. it’s a recipe for Living Without’s version of socca – looks pretty good. Made me think of this blog! http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/gluten_free_chickpea_vegetable_crostini-2261-1.html

Posted on January 10, 2011 at 3:51 pm
    1. Thanks Meagan for sharing this link with us.

Posted on January 10, 2011 at 4:52 pm
  15. hi! I tried it out the basic socca recipe today with 1:1 ratio and 1tsp of salt. for some reason, i found it very salty! i used an 8×8 baking dish. do you think using a baking dish is the problem?

Posted on March 13, 2011 at 7:44 pm
    1. Christy – you can do 1/2 tsp salt. The salt depends on how much batter you make and personal preference. Using a baking dish should not be a problem, just make sure your oil is hot before you put the batter in. We have other socca recipes that our baked on our site. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Posted on March 14, 2011 at 4:22 am
  16. I know I’m so late to the party for this post but I really wanted to let you know I tried this recipe and I loved it! I put avocado slices on the rosemary socca and it was so delish. I had been looking for a bread/pancake replacement for a long time (raw bread/flax crackers don’t do it for me and sort stopped consuming these on a regular basis) – and this is fabulous! I paired with a bowl of veggie white bean soup and it was so satisfying without the evil gluten. Thank you for sharing this, you guys 😉

Posted on April 25, 2011 at 5:43 am
  17. I just made this today! So yummy, but something about all the oil in it and seeing it makes me think its bad for me. I used coconut oil….but have you ever tried making socca with 1 T or oil instead of 2T? I wanted to eat WAY too much of this. 🙂

Posted on May 14, 2011 at 2:56 pm
    1. Crysta yes you could use less oil, just might change the texture a bit. As the oil helps cook it. But I understand what you mean.

Posted on May 15, 2011 at 5:56 am
  18. do you know how many calories this has?

Posted on June 1, 2011 at 2:45 am
  19. I just made some skillet socca and added in some chopped scallion. While it was delish, it was tough to know when it was ready to be flipped. What level heat do you use under the skillet, and how long do you generally let it cook before you flip? Thanks for introducing me to something new! I can’t wait to try the dessert socca!

Posted on August 27, 2011 at 3:41 pm
    1. Kat when the sides start to form, pull away from the pan, it is ready to be flipped. It took us awhile to get use to filliping it. We have medium high heat usually for the first side, and then we flip we turn it down to medium. Let me know know if you have any questions. glad you enjoyed it!

Posted on August 27, 2011 at 7:06 pm
  20. LOVE THIS!!! Great alternative to bread AND scrambled eggs! If only I could get the rest of the fam to hop on the train! 😉 Thank you ladies <3

Posted on September 20, 2011 at 3:01 am
  21. Hi, Lori & Michelle!
    I’m a recent socca convert (tried before, didn’t like it; but now i know lots of oil is the key to flavor!), but I’m having some difficulty making them. I now don’t have problem with the batter sticking on the pan, but I have a problem flipping. It breaks every time I try to flip, and I always end up with socca scramble. Any tips? thnx!!

Posted on December 12, 2011 at 7:53 pm
  22. Having trouble getting this to turn out! It’s really good but always turns out a mess when I go to flip it. Instead of looking like a pancake it’s a bunch of lumps. 🙁

Posted on February 8, 2012 at 2:18 pm
    1. Sorry about that, what ratio are you doing? It works best doing 1 cup garbanzo bean flour to 1 cup water. and letting that cook for awhile before flipping it. hope that helps

Posted on February 8, 2012 at 2:50 pm
  23. I tried to make this skillet socca and failed miserably. It fell apart 🙁 I still ate it though, it was delicious and the rosemary was an excellent idea. I tried the buckwheat and garbanzo bean flour socca too and it turned out perfect! I used it as the base for a goat cheese, basil, and nectarine pizza. It was DELICIOUS! Thank you so much for introducing me to Socca! NOM NOM NOM!!! 😀

Posted on July 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm
    1. Awesome glad you enjoyed it!!

Posted on July 19, 2012 at 7:43 am
  24. I just started a GFCF vegetarian partially raw diet due to health issues. I have been high raw for almost a year, but am starting to put some cooked foods back in. Your website is an AWESOME resource and I am super-excited to try your recipes. I was wondering if you have nutritional information (serving sizes and calorie/protein breakdowns) for your recipes? Any help would be very appreciated.

Best wishes!